bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Aug 2011, 11:29   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Notch explains lack of Steam release for Minecraft

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...lease-for-mi/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 11:33   #2
Canon
Reformed

Canon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for presidentCanon should be considered for president
Quote:
no disagreement between Value and Majong
It is quite good value for money come to think of it.
Old 30th Aug 2011, 11:45   #3
Cerberus90
petrolhead

Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.
Don't see any problem with it.

Being on steam would, as far as I'm concerned, give no advantages.
And would probably make it harder to mod, or possibly more risky if steam thought you were doing something they thought you shouldn't be.

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 11:59   #4
Jezcentral
Multimodder

Jezcentral has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Steam doesn't cause and problems with modding (I've done it plenty of times with Dragon Age, Torchlight etc), it's just a digital distribution service. I think you are confusing it with VAC, or anti-cheat programs, which completely different, and wouldn't be attached to a game like Minecraft anyway.

I think this is more to do with selling in-game, but not through Steam. (The same as EA).
Jezcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:22   #5
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
It is not to do with selling in-game - has there ever been any real hint of that happening with minecraft? It is the fact that there is a lot more hassle with updating - it's a little like Microsoft and Sony authentication for consoles - as well as the fact that Valve takes a cut of all Steam sales and Mojang is popular enough not to need Steam as a platform for sales.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:47   #6
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
It is not to do with selling in-game - has there ever been any real hint of that happening with minecraft? It is the fact that there is a lot more hassle with updating - it's a little like Microsoft and Sony authentication for consoles - as well as the fact that Valve takes a cut of all Steam sales and Mojang is popular enough not to need Steam as a platform for sales.
What? Does anyone on here even bother to read the actual blog post from Notch? Instead of making things up to the best of your knowledge, get a primary source. The link is even in the article!

It is about selling things, although not necessarily in-game, and how Notch would want that controlled through minecraft.net, and not through Steam.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 15:01   #7
sakzzz
Multimodder

sakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
" Minecraft is a sandbox game where players explore randomly generated worlds made of destructible blocks, which they can then rearrange and craft with to make their own buildings and devices. It's fun! "
o_O .. Doesnt really sound like fun to me....Is it like playing with LEGO blocks?
Old 30th Aug 2011, 15:38   #8
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
as long as they don't use a separate drm, i could care less and i don't see why anyone else should really care.
Old 30th Aug 2011, 16:38   #9
The Toy
The Ticking Time-Bomb

The Toy has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe Toy has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe Toy has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe Toy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
i could care less
You mean you couldn't care less, right?
Old 30th Aug 2011, 16:42   #10
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakzzz
o_O .. Doesnt really sound like fun to me....Is it like playing with LEGO blocks?
It's like playing lego together. Its FUN.
Old 30th Aug 2011, 17:46   #11
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
as long as they don't use a separate drm, i could care less and i don't see why anyone else should really care.
Well, they do use a separate DRM. User accounts are effectively a way of restricting access of a single copy to a single player (or at least a single player using it at any given time). Just because it's not particularly intrusive doesn't mean it isn't there.
Old 30th Aug 2011, 18:33   #12
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
What? Does anyone on here even bother to read the actual blog post from Notch? Instead of making things up to the best of your knowledge, get a primary source. The link is even in the article!

It is about selling things, although not necessarily in-game, and how Notch would want that controlled through minecraft.net, and not through Steam.
Meh, I'll believe that nonsense about selling capes when I see it. You're right though, I should have read the primary source.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 21:06   #13
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Steam seems to be going quite 'all or nothing' at the moment. The whole idea of making all DLC purchasable through steam is certainly riling up some of the big publishers (and the little ones). Steam's good, but I'd hate for it to grow much bigger than it is.
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2011, 12:35   #14
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toy
Quote:
i could care less
I've always wondered why Americans always get that wrong! (Don't know if schmidtbag is American but it's the phrase I always hear in American films and websites/blogs).

If you could care less then it means you do care! If you couldn't care less then you obviously don't care at all about something!
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2011, 14:13   #15
logonui
Supermodder

logonui has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toy
Quote:
i could care less
This!

Spelling and grammar mistakes I can handle... this bugs the hell out of me!
Old 31st Aug 2011, 15:41   #16
Raijin
What's a Dremel?

Raijin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Minecraft is one of the most awesome games I've ever played, brings back the massive lego tower days back when I was a kid lol.
Raijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2011, 18:29   #17
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
im lost why they would be limited by steam. they dont have to use VAC. they dont have to to use steamworks.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2011, 11:54   #18
David164v8
Supermodder

David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
^^ Yeah. It would just get them some extra exposure. I've already bought Minecraft but I would have bought it far sooner if it was on steam.
David164v8 is offline   Reply With Quote