bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Aug 2011, 11:37   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
EA: Games won't be Origin exclusive

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...in-exclusive/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 11:42   #2
gilljoy
I *am* a Dremel

gilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for president
If competition is good they should put there games back on steam...
Old 30th Aug 2011, 11:47   #3
bahgger
Hypermodder

bahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Dear Jans Uwe,

You have a terrible grasp of the English language.

Thank you.
bahgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 12:07   #4
mattbailey
Multimodder

mattbailey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Competition is good." Except for BF3 it appears?
mattbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 12:08   #5
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If I need to create an origin account and or install an Origin client on my PC in order to play any EA game I will not purchase any EA game.
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 12:36   #6
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
translation; "we have no credibility, don't believe anything we say because we are just telling you what you want to hear.

Thanks,

Use Origin. "
Old 30th Aug 2011, 12:51   #7
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

"In other news, Activision-Blizzard decided to release all of their games through Battle.Net. In a press release CEO Wu-Evar welcomes games from other publishers.
There are also rumours of U-Play, a similar DD platform for Ubisoft published titles.
Now, the weather..."

impar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 12:59   #8
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
Kind of a one way street isnt it

EA are going to ruin the direct distribution concept by fracturing it
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:02   #9
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
so im going to need steam, uplay AND origins, jeez
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:06   #10
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
while he said releases will not be exclusive didnt mention DLC did he ?

oh bought a game and want the expansion do you INSTALL origin BITCH!!!
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:06   #11
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
don't know why they cant just use steam, it works everyone involved in a product, gets a cut, and you only need 1 piece of client software, i think greed is the major player here, EA"we want all the money from our products, and don't want to share it"
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:15   #12
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty
translation; "we have no credibility, don't believe anything we say because we are just telling you what you want to hear.

Thanks,

Use Origin. "
+1

Since when does a publisher actually say anything true and useful.

I like how he is actually suggesting: "we will continue to put our products at comical high values on Origin, and let our competitors sell at prices slightly cheaper, therefore the consumer perceives a bargain/better price."

And before some one leaps to their defence of rising prices, they have had increased market growth to offset the increase in cost to make a game.

I also agree that the number of accounts needed just to play a few games is getting ridiculous (which is why I oppose account based drm).
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:24   #13
vdbswong
It's a Hedgehod

vdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
But when Mojang states that Steam isn't useful, people all nod their heads and agree, or shrug and not give a damn.
vdbswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:25   #14
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
EA is going to have to convince other publishers that they are trustworthy partners, then they are going to need to convince other publishers (or more accurately, competitors) to share game profits with them.
It is one thing publishers supporting a publisher like Valve (who are fairly inoffensive as publishers go), but EA and Activision don't have the best of relationships (see recent MW3/BF3 bitch slaps at dawn), and they aren't going to want to contribute to EA's financial statements.

If they do that, they are then going to have to convince customers to support their service, which is also going to be hard given their history of not supporting their previous digital distribution service and generally screwing over their users. It also doesn't help that they said they were going to scan the hard drives of Origin users, gather private data and then sell the data they collect to third parties. Nice going EA. At least Steam gives you the option to opt out of the HW Survey.

I wasn't happy about Steam to begin with, but at least I **liked** Valve and up to a point trusted them. And over the years, they have put the runs on the board regarding Steam so I now don't have a problem buying games with them.
I have no such feelings for EA.
I have no such confidence in EA.
I will not be buying games from EA through Origin.
I will not be using Origin to authenticate games bought through retail.
Will this mean not buying some games? Yes.
Will it mean not playing games I love? Yes
I will miss playing Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 or any other game tied to Origin, but gaming isn't my entire life and I have a backlog of unplayed games to take up my playing time.
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:47   #15
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
They have actually confirmed they wont be selling identifiable data to third parties

http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/ea-update...ter-criticism/

still far from perfect but I wont be missing out on BF3, ME3 etc etc over this
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:07   #16
Rustypouch
Multimodder

Rustypouch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This really makes my pish boil. I already have Steam and GFWL (not through choice). Steam works really well, GFWL...not so much. I have lost many save games because of GFWL. I really want to play Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3, but will have to get Battle.net and Origin aswell. My computer is constantly being sodomized with software I don't want, but need if I want to play some great games. I mean, I bought Batman: AA on Steam and had to install GFWL to play it? Bah! Same with Dirt.

I hate to admit it, but gaming on my PS3/Xbox 360 is becoming so much less hassle. All the big Publishers are trying to lock down their products on PCs, for whatever reason, which is really not doing PC Gaming any favours. This is a bad move from EA, they have probably already invested significant amounts of time, money and resources into the project so their clearly fully committed to the project and there probably is nothing that can be done. I guess this is just the nature of having an open gaming platform like the PC, as opposed to PSN and Xbox Live.
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:16   #17
Tsung
Multimodder

Tsung has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Regarding the EULA update, I downloaded the client at the weekend and it certainly did not read like the article read. It is still the old EULA for Origin, if they have updated it, they need to update the client as well.. (I choose at this time not to install it).

If I really want to play BF3 it looks like I'll be getting the Xbox version as that doesn't use Origin (afaik). I might wait for release before purchase so see if there are any teething troubles. Then again, if I do that, I miss out on the pre-order bonus, so I might not bother at all.
Tsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:49   #18
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I know it's annoying for us, but you're living on Mars is you think EA should just stick everything on Steam and be done with it.

The point of a capitalist system is that companies are able to try new things and compete. Depending on whether or not the new things work financially decides if they stay or go.

Steam is a goldmine for Valve. If I were a shareholder in EA, I would expect them to try something similar. If I worked for EA, I sure as hell would try something similar.

If Origin turns out to be crap, EA will scrap it. But it's important they at least have a go at it for the sake of competition. Put it this way, if Origin turns out to be awesome, the worsed thing that happens is we get a better experience from our digital distribution.

I'm going to support EA on this one. They have every right to attempt to emulate Valve's success, especially with their own games. I hope they fail, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to try.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:57   #19
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
re The possibilty of EA scrapping Origin if its crap:-

GFWL is crap and Microsoft didn't scrap that so I reckon unless its a dead duck EA will simply plough on regardless. The only way they'll take notice is if there is an en-mass boycott of Origin and that is highly unlikley so I'm afraid we're gonna get stuck with it unless its a total disaster.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 15:17   #20
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by [PUNK] crompers View Post
They have actually confirmed they wont be selling identifiable data to third parties
http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/ea-update...ter-criticism/
Now read article 4 of the new EULA:
http://eacom.s3.amazonaws.com/EULA_Origin_8.24.11.pdf
impar is offline   Reply With Quote