bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:32   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Crucial boosts M4 SSD speed

Crucial's new 0009 firmware claims to improve performance of its M4 SSDs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ance-with-fi/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:34   #2
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
OOOOO will definitely take a look!
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 13:36   #3
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
http://www.derbench.de/index.php/com...ienen?Itemid=0

Read speeds increased to 529MB/s!!!
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:26   #4
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I can only hope OCZ follow suit, I need moar speed from my Vertex 3!

TSB
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:31   #5
Meaty Pete
King of the Potato People

Meaty Pete can run CrysisMeaty Pete can run CrysisMeaty Pete can run CrysisMeaty Pete can run CrysisMeaty Pete can run CrysisMeaty Pete can run CrysisMeaty Pete can run CrysisMeaty Pete can run CrysisMeaty Pete can run Crysis
Be changing the firmware when I get home. Does that mean it can beat the vertex 3 now?
i5 2500k, Z68 Asus Maximus Gene-Z, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1600mhz CAS-8-8-8, 2x ATI Radeon HD 4850 SLI, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100, Silverstone Raven RV-02E, 2x Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD 250GB, Samsung 1.5TB, WD 2TB
Meaty Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:33   #6
Stotherd-001
Knows what a dremel is. Shock.

Stotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Got one of these the other day... think I'll update the firmware before installing anything on it though.

Yeah.
Stotherd-001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:35   #7
bdigital
Is re-building his PC again

bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.
Edit: read the posted link properly now.

I did a bench last night, so il update the firmware and run another this week!

Check out my Apline White TJ07 - Case Mod and Water cooled build. http://www.flickr.com/photos/6188486...7631486959032/
bdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:42   #8
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=215639

I updated mine on day of release. Ensure you have backed up any important info, just in case. You need to have the sata port it's connected to set to ide and all other sata ports set to IDE/Compatible temporarily (or disable those that the ssd isn't connected to), otherwise the bootable cd update sticks on finding the drive.

I know my speeds went up a fair bit, but I guess it needs to run trim to get the full benefit. Is there a way to manually run it on these drives? Like how you can with the Intel SSD Toolbox on Intel drives?

Last edited by kenco_uk; 30th Aug 2011 at 14:55.
kenco_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 14:50   #9
Ph4ZeD
Banned

I can't actually get the firmware updated for my drive yet
Old 30th Aug 2011, 15:24   #10
AstralWanderer
Banned

AstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The price has really dropped for the 128GB drives recently - there are a few other vendors offering good prices also (better once you take free delivery into account) for those who can't stomach Overclockers.
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 16:02   #11
Vo0Ds
Fake potato

Vo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the DremelVo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seems SSD's are still climbing sharply in speed and capacity, think I'll wait 'till next year to partake...

Masara: i5 2500@4.2Ghz | Asus P8P67LE | EVGA GTX460SC | 8Gb Corsair 1600 | 1TB WD-C BLACK | Fractal R3 | LG 23" IPS
LEGO Ghetto HTPC: Broken-ass laptop pulled apart, now a HTPC... made of LEGO. UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Vo0Ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 16:49   #12
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I did this and it took me 5 minutes. Quite easy and painless, took longer to burn the iso to disc then it did to update the firmware. I read the 20 steps crucial has and I followed like 5 of them. Download, burn, restart, type yes, restart.

Bad part for me is I have the 64gb setup using SATA II port so I really do see a difference in boot times. One day I will have the SATA III port, one day.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 17:02   #13
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm with salesman, Using a X58 UD5 things a re a little slower than our Sata 3 counterparts, but the update has made a difference, it is quicker than before.

+rep to Crucial.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 17:24   #14
Chris_Waddle
Another World Cup let down

Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just wondering; I have a 256gig version in my main machine and a 128gig in another machine. Can I use the same ISO for both drives or is it capacity specific too?

I'm pretty sure that the capacity doesn't matter, but better to be safe than sorry.
Chris_Waddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 17:36   #15
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Here's a quick guide for updating the firmware from a USB drive.
  1. Format a USB drive with FAT/FAT32.
  2. Download Syslinux and extract the syslinux.exe file from either the Win32 or Win64 folder
  3. Run syslinux -m -a X: where X is the drive letter of your USB drive.
  4. Extract the contents of the BOOT folder in the firmware ISO to the root of the USB drive.
  5. Rename ISOLINUX.CFG to SYSLINUX.CFG
  6. Boot from the USB drive, and it'll ask for confirmation to upgrade the firmware. In my experience, it'll successfully update even if the controller is in AHCI mode.

I've seen a slight improvement in general loading times on the Thinkpad with this new firmware.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 18:27   #16
DirtyH
Minimodder

DirtyH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
worked perfectly!!

made a bootable usb stick with YUMI http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mu...t-usb-creator/

followed instructions and updated firmware

results:

before (firmware 0002)

after (firmware 0009)
Old 30th Aug 2011, 18:34   #17
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD View Post
http://www.derbench.de/index.php/com...ienen?Itemid=0

Read speeds increased to 529MB/s!!!
Wow that's a nice surprise for owners . I took the plunge & gamble for a corsair force 3 though but so far so good .

I was a bit worried going for a sandforce drive after seeing so much negative about them but mine seems nice, didn't bother updating the bios on it either, thought I'd see if it's fine before doing that & it seems to be with good speeds.

Last edited by Waynio; 30th Aug 2011 at 18:40.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 18:35   #18
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
The speeds are a nice bonus, but the fact that the drive actually works correct from cold boots, is worth 100 speed increases .
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 18:53   #19
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman
Bad part for me is I have the 64gb setup using SATA II port so I really do see a difference in boot times. One day I will have the SATA III port, one day.
Get a PCI-E card for about £17 that has 2x SATA 6G/b ports
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2011, 19:51   #20
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=mrbens]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman
Get an ASUS U3S6, only £24 and has 2 SATA III and 2 USB III and works like a charm with Crucial SSD's.

If, like me, you have a PCIe card with SATA III you will need to diconnect your SSD and plug it into your mobo SATA (even if it's SATAII - it doesn't matter). When you're done you can reconnect to your SATA III card.

Using ATTO benchmark, before the upgrade I reached approx. 360 MB/s burst. Now I reach 400 MB/s
And I do notice that my programs open a bit quicker now