bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Sep 2011, 11:20   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
SSD users report widespread data loss

A survey relating to the use of SSDs shows significant interest, but also high failure rates.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ad-data-loss/1
Old 1st Sep 2011, 11:22   #2
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
One drive (Patriot Torqx) died on me. But data loss ? No. Any sane person have backup systems in place (Crashplan, doing backups to other computer in LAN for example), so there is no data loss even if SSD dies.
Old 1st Sep 2011, 11:27   #3
CDomville
^ I am THIS Possum

CDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I haven't experienced any data loos on my drive, but that's because I manually move the Users directories onto the larger rotary drive whenever I do a fresh installation, and I also use various free sections of drive space from dropbox/github and the like to back up my data.
Current Machine Specifications: Mobo: GIGABYTE P67A-UD4-B3 | Processor: Core i5 2500K (soon to be OC'ed, researching atm) | 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz DDR3 | GFX: MSI GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr II (also soon to be OC'ed) | Akasa Venom Cooler | Antec 100 case
CDomville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 11:39   #4
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SSD's are too small to store any data on, you just run your OS off them. Having said that, I would have thought the failure rate lower than mechanical disks.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 12:04   #5
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Had over 30 SSDs come across my desk, and have had zero drive failures from retail units. HDDs have a failure rate of around 2.5%, and from contacts in the etail industry, SSDs have a failure rate of sub 1%. I think this survey is just a case of angry users venting, while happy users don't make a fuss.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 12:05   #6
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
One drive (Patriot Torqx) died on me. But data loss ? No. Any sane person have backup systems in place (Crashplan, doing backups to other computer in LAN for example), so there is no data loss even if SSD dies.
Exactly what I was thinking. I think the norm is if you have an SSD or RAID 0 that you regularly backup all your data to another drive or external location.

Isn't data loss something out of 2002?

If the SSD suddenly dies I know that I have a recent system image / file backup at a safe location plus I can RMA the failed drive and get a brand new replacement. So where's the loss, maybe a tiny headache but no irreplaceable loss.
Old 1st Sep 2011, 12:18   #7
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
I haven't had any data loss from my OCZ Vortex 2 and Intel X25M drives.
I have lost data from mechanical HDDs, and from anecdotal evidence from the Internet, so have most people.

Therefore I can write an article titled "HDD users report widespread data loss" with a straight face.
The survey plays up the risk of SSDs and plays down the fact that "Flash" drives also include USB sticks that are far more likely to fail (hinted at in the original PR but not explicitly stated). I don't see any figures in the article or in the original Kroll PR "article-writing kit" breaking down the failure rates of SSDs and USB "Flash" sticks.

A self-serving "survey" with 560 respondents from a self-interested company's press release. Call me when this issue is dealt with more thoroughly and impartially.

Last edited by Adnoctum; 1st Sep 2011 at 12:30. Reason: What I meant to say but didn't.
Adnoctum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 12:38   #8
Marvin-HHGTTG
Marvin. I don't care what ^ says...

Marvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
57%? I hadn't realised that was the proportion of morons - maybe take a few percent for the innocent few.

Widespread. Prumph.
Marvin-HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 12:46   #9
dunx
ITX is where it's at !

dunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysis
My SSD did loose data once, but as stated who'd trust their precious data to just one drive of any type ?

dunx
Asus P6T7 WS Revo. + Asus U3S6 - i7-960 @ 3.8 GHz - Corsair H70 - 6 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 MHz - 64 GB Cucial M4 SSD - Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD's - HD 5870 + GTX 480 - Coolermaster 1250W PSU - ANTEC P280 - 4 x 240 V server fans - Griffin Powermate
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 12:53   #10
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin-HHGTTG View Post
57%? I hadn't realised that was the proportion of morons - maybe take a few percent for the innocent few.

Widespread. Prumph.
Yep. This survey reads more like a Numpty count than anything else, to me.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 12:54   #11
Bungletron
Hypermodder

Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.
Before I knew what type of sample was polled I immediately assumed that most of the sample must be business users given the nature of the responses and the firm commissioning the poll. A server farm running banks of SSDs in raid 24/7 will suffer failure on a much higher incidence and commission firms for costly recovery, I doubt this tallies with the usage habits of most people on this forum, I have only had my SSD for 2 months so fingers crossed it will continue to operate reliably for some time!
Bungletron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:08   #12
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
The survey size is far to small to make any conclusions. Both of the SSD's I have (one in desktop, one in laptop) are proving to be rock solid.

My desktops drive stores everything bar my media and my laptops is just for the core OS and games.

I do however have my documents and images backed up in multiple locations (things like CV's and cashflow files etc) whilst my Media is stored on an external HD.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:10   #13
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Basically this proves that people who have lost data are more likely to fill in a questionnaire on data loss...

And who's surprised at that?
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:14   #14
faugusztin

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthomas View Post
If the SSD suddenly dies I know that I have a recent system image / file backup at a safe location plus I can RMA the failed drive and get a brand new replacement. So where's the loss, maybe a tiny headache but no irreplaceable loss.
In my case it was Patriot Torqx 128GB (Indilinx) -> Corsair Force 120GB (SandForce 1xxx).
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:21   #15
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Just had a 9 month old vertex 2 in my laptop die a couple of weeks ago. It is worse then mechanical hard disks - they tend to degrade, even in a head crash you can get a lot of data off them. Also the smart monitoring tends to pick up on a failing disk - I have had warnings in the past telling me old hard disks were getting dodgy at which point I swap them out.

SSD's are different - well there is the SSD monitoring stuff, mine said the vertex 2 was on 82% health last I checked it, it obviously wasn't. One day I turned on my latop and my SSD appeared as unformatted. All data instantly gone and no chance of recovery. Sent it to ocz, they sent me a new one but obviously as I stick it back in the laptop I am not filled with confidence this one won't randomly die too.
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:28   #16
faugusztin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbD View Post
Ever heard of backups ?
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:31   #17
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
C300 256Gb worked like a dream being filled many many times over (got to love a decent TRIM implementation). Also have 2 64Gb C300s, 2 96Gb OCZ drives and again, all are used daily and fairly heavily (web server, torrenting, VMs) and no issues with dataloss at all.

In 20 years of using spinning magnetic disks, I can think of many occasions, (gosh some of them send shivers down my spine) where I have lost data. From disks that have died gracefully over 6 months :-) to three that just never came back on :-(

But, to be fair I have only used a small number of drives compared to a large survey. Problem I think with this is it sounds like replies may have included 'deleting data that I cant then simply use undelete' to get back (ie. all the NTFS file recovery tools). That is MUCH harder on SSDs, the one time I tried to help a colleague, I said, IMO we have no chance, and after a few days, we had recovered ZIP! Where as HD recovery, other than the 3 that literally just went dead on me, I have always managed to get back most of the data and normally everything.
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:40   #18
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
When I first bought my generation 1 OCZ vertex 30gb a few years ago, it had a bug which caused the drive to disappear if u copied large data to it (installing Flight sim X). OCZ released FW patch and that fixed the problem. There was a later incident where windows XP was corrupt after installation. I reinstalled it and it was fine. But of course as we know XP is not a good OS to install on an SSD. Have had no problems since those initial issues and the drive has performed better with subsequent FW updates. OCZ have recently been caught out in a few scandels though. Quality control seems to have dropped and they tried scamming people with lower than rated SSD. A friend of mine was one of those caught out and he found the OCZ SSD had smaller capacity and way below spec transfer rate. OCZ replaced the drive and sent a second vertex 2 120gb by mistake. The extra SSD died the same day but he has RMA'd it.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:49   #19
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin-HHGTTG View Post
57%? I hadn't realised that was the proportion of morons...
If you consider the normal distribution of intelligence in the general population, it works out about right.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2011, 14:16   #20
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In a Forum in Portugal we have dozens of cases of it... OCZ drives are the worse, some can't even install windows, others give alot of BSOD's, there's even a guy that bought 2 and both had the same issues... This last generation of SSD's have lots of problems.

I'm still happy with my Intel G2 160Gb and my Gskill Falcon I 64gb, no problems whatsoever
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote