1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SSD users report widespread data loss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

One drive (Patriot Torqx) died on me. But data loss ? No. Any sane person have backup systems in place (Crashplan, doing backups to other computer in LAN for example), so there is no data loss even if SSD dies.

3. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

I haven't experienced any data loos on my drive, but that's because I manually move the Users directories onto the larger rotary drive whenever I do a fresh installation, and I also use various free sections of drive space from dropbox/github and the like to back up my data.

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

SSD's are too small to store any data on, you just run your OS off them. Having said that, I would have thought the failure rate lower than mechanical disks.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Had over 30 SSDs come across my desk, and have had zero drive failures from retail units. HDDs have a failure rate of around 2.5%, and from contacts in the etail industry, SSDs have a failure rate of sub 1%. I think this survey is just a case of angry users venting, while happy users don't make a fuss.

6. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Exactly what I was thinking. I think the norm is if you have an SSD or RAID 0 that you regularly backup all your data to another drive or external location.

Isn't data loss something out of 2002?

If the SSD suddenly dies I know that I have a recent system image / file backup at a safe location plus I can RMA the failed drive and get a brand new replacement. So where's the loss, maybe a tiny headache but no irreplaceable loss.

7. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I haven't had any data loss from my OCZ Vortex 2 and Intel X25M drives.
    I have lost data from mechanical HDDs, and from anecdotal evidence from the Internet, so have most people.

Therefore I can write an article titled "HDD users report widespread data loss" with a straight face.
    The survey plays up the risk of SSDs and plays down the fact that "Flash" drives also include USB sticks that are far more likely to fail (hinted at in the original PR but not explicitly stated). I don't see any figures in the article or in the original Kroll PR "article-writing kit" breaking down the failure rates of SSDs and USB "Flash" sticks.

A self-serving "survey" with 560 respondents from a self-interested company's press release. Call me when this issue is dealt with more thoroughly and impartially.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
  8. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

57%? I hadn't realised that was the proportion of morons - maybe take a few percent for the innocent few.

Widespread. Prumph.

9. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

My SSD did loose data once, but as stated who'd trust their precious data to just one drive of any type ?

dunx

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yep. This survey reads more like a Numpty count than anything else, to me.

11. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Before I knew what type of sample was polled I immediately assumed that most of the sample must be business users given the nature of the responses and the firm commissioning the poll. A server farm running banks of SSDs in raid 24/7 will suffer failure on a much higher incidence and commission firms for costly recovery, I doubt this tallies with the usage habits of most people on this forum, I have only had my SSD for 2 months so fingers crossed it will continue to operate reliably for some time!

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The survey size is far to small to make any conclusions. Both of the SSD's I have (one in desktop, one in laptop) are proving to be rock solid.

My desktops drive stores everything bar my media and my laptops is just for the core OS and games.

I do however have my documents and images backed up in multiple locations (things like CV's and cashflow files etc) whilst my Media is stored on an external HD.

13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Basically this proves that people who have lost data are more likely to fill in a questionnaire on data loss...

And who's surprised at that?

Sloth likes this.
  14. faugusztin

In my case it was Patriot Torqx 128GB (Indilinx) -> Corsair Force 120GB (SandForce 1xxx).

15. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Just had a 9 month old vertex 2 in my laptop die a couple of weeks ago. It is worse then mechanical hard disks - they tend to degrade, even in a head crash you can get a lot of data off them. Also the smart monitoring tends to pick up on a failing disk - I have had warnings in the past telling me old hard disks were getting dodgy at which point I swap them out.

SSD's are different - well there is the SSD monitoring stuff, mine said the vertex 2 was on 82% health last I checked it, it obviously wasn't. One day I turned on my latop and my SSD appeared as unformatted. All data instantly gone and no chance of recovery. Sent it to ocz, they sent me a new one but obviously as I stick it back in the laptop I am not filled with confidence this one won't randomly die too.

16. faugusztin

Ever heard of backups ?

17. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

C300 256Gb worked like a dream being filled many many times over (got to love a decent TRIM implementation). Also have 2 64Gb C300s, 2 96Gb OCZ drives and again, all are used daily and fairly heavily (web server, torrenting, VMs) and no issues with dataloss at all.

In 20 years of using spinning magnetic disks, I can think of many occasions, (gosh some of them send shivers down my spine) where I have lost data. From disks that have died gracefully over 6 months :) to three that just never came back on :-(

But, to be fair I have only used a small number of drives compared to a large survey. Problem I think with this is it sounds like replies may have included 'deleting data that I cant then simply use undelete' to get back (ie. all the NTFS file recovery tools). That is MUCH harder on SSDs, the one time I tried to help a colleague, I said, IMO we have no chance, and after a few days, we had recovered ZIP! Where as HD recovery, other than the 3 that literally just went dead on me, I have always managed to get back most of the data and normally everything.

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

When I first bought my generation 1 OCZ vertex 30gb a few years ago, it had a bug which caused the drive to disappear if u copied large data to it (installing Flight sim X). OCZ released FW patch and that fixed the problem. There was a later incident where windows XP was corrupt after installation. I reinstalled it and it was fine. But of course as we know XP is not a good OS to install on an SSD. Have had no problems since those initial issues and the drive has performed better with subsequent FW updates. OCZ have recently been caught out in a few scandels though. Quality control seems to have dropped and they tried scamming people with lower than rated SSD. A friend of mine was one of those caught out and he found the OCZ SSD had smaller capacity and way below spec transfer rate. OCZ replaced the drive and sent a second vertex 2 120gb by mistake. The extra SSD died the same day but he has RMA'd it.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you consider the normal distribution of intelligence in the general population, it works out about right. :D

20. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

In a Forum in Portugal we have dozens of cases of it... OCZ drives are the worse, some can't even install windows, others give alot of BSOD's, there's even a guy that bought 2 and both had the same issues... This last generation of SSD's have lots of problems.

I'm still happy with my Intel G2 160Gb and my Gskill Falcon I 64gb, no problems whatsoever

Tags: Add Tags