bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Sep 2011, 11:08   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ubisoft removes From Dust PC DRM

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-dust-pc-drm/1
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 11:12   #2
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Saw this yesterday, my steam client spent the whole day downloading 75MB patches :-/ settled down in the end though. glad it's gone tbh. It's bad enough having to juggle games across my desktop and laptop on steam without having to worry about anything else.
XFXScorpio911 PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz SLI GTX 480 1536MB ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T CORSAIR HYDRO H50 CORSAIR F60 WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit Musings On The Technical World Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 11:58   #3
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"The DRM required, among other things, that users always remain online to play the singleplayer game."

That's not quite true. It performed an online check when booting into the game, but once playing you could be disconnected without any issues. Unlike the DRM Ubisoft has previously used, an always on connection to their servers was not required.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 12:15   #4
Gigglebyte
:3

Gigglebyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai View Post
That's not quite true. It performed an online check when booting into the game, but once playing you could be disconnected without any issues. Unlike the DRM Ubisoft has previously used, an always on connection to their servers was not required.
Well as far as I can gather that still means that you require an internet connection to boot the game.
Gigglebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 12:22   #5
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Overall this is good news.
I don't play From Dust, so it doesn't affect me directly, but when Steam starts offering refunds, and Ubisoft start removing DRM, it all points to the fact that game devs appear to be listening to the PC market more than ever. And that can only be a good thing
do_it_anyway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 12:24   #6
Venares
Minimodder

Venares has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sadly the damage is already done.
Venares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 12:37   #7
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I will consider purchase when on sale, won't be paying full price considering this DRM was not to be there then was there and now has been removed, I will not give Ubi a full price sale after their antics.

Does the PC version have the same flaws as the xbox version?
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 15:17   #8
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Makes sense. The DRM is probably only designed to prevent day 0 piracy they know that it will be cracked eventually so why persevere with it. Probably saves money as activation servers can come offline too.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 15:21   #9
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
Too little, too late. They outright lied to their customers and refused to admit that they were in the wrong about it in any way. They couldn't redeem this if they came to my house and offered chocolate-covered hookers.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 15:36   #10
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear
They couldn't redeem this if they came to my house and offered chocolate-covered hookers.
In the unlikely event that they try (in the manner suggested above - and assuming they're female), please don't hesitate to send them my way
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 16:18   #11
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear
They couldn't redeem this if they came to my house and offered chocolate-covered hookers.
In the unlikely event that they try (in the manner suggested above - and assuming they're female), please don't hesitate to send them my way
And if you're not in slip them my address as an alternative.
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 16:32   #12
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
A completely empty gesture.

Ubisoft got what they wanted, DRM for the initial launch of the game, From Dust is now old news.

They should just stop releasing PC ports if they're going to treat their customers with such contempt. I can't stand the entitlement issues that come with calling for boycotts/petitions, but for me personally, I just can't buy Ubisoft games after the deplorable Splinter Cell Conviction launch.
Old 9th Sep 2011, 19:39   #13
nemo
Foregone Destruction

nemo has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnemo has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnemo has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnemo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sorry Ubisoft - it's too late

CPU : Intel Core i7 930 / Mobo: Asus P6TSE / RAM : 6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 8-8-8-24 / Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870 1gb / CpuCool: Titan Fenrir Xmas / PSU: Antec True Power New TP-650 / 1Tb F3 / Mouse : Logitech G7 Wireless / Case : Fractal Design Define R2 Silver Arrow / OS : Windws 7 Ultimate / Firefox
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2011, 20:38   #14
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venares View Post
Sadly the damage is already done.
This, everyone who wanted a DRM free From Dust got one before this patch if you catch my drift
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 05:58   #15
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, too late. There aren't many companies I take a righteous stand against, but Ubisoft, dear lord. Ubi and Sony will never see one thin dime from me again.

Honestly, it was already too late either way - it was all the BS they'd pulled before I'd even heard of From Dust that broke it for me.

Not sure what it would take to reverse that course, but it sure as hell isn't this.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 12:16   #16
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
What's with the whining, people? The game was only released three weeks ago and the DRM is gone. Quit complaining, already.
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 13:37   #17
stouffer
What's a Dremel?

stouffer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's about time Ubisoft did something about their DRM, don't think it'll cause any long-term damage to their brand in the big scheme of things but it certainly has cost them a few sales from me
stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 15:39   #18
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver
What's with the whining, people? The game was only released three weeks ago and the DRM is gone. Quit complaining, already.
Because unless people complain, and complain loudly, then the publisher will assume that it's ok and call it a success. Pretty soon all games will have the same DRM and PC gaming will actually die.

Another way to look at it is that the DRM was patched out of the game in only three weeks BECAUSE people were whining about it. Thus, mission accomplished, however Ubisoft still need to realise that this will happen if and when they try this s**t with their paying customers ever again.
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 23:12   #19
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver
Because Ubisoft outright said that the game would ship without DRM and even made a big point of it. Then it was released and lo and behold, early customers who bought the game specifically due to its no-DRM claims got hit with DRM, not to mention one of the sloppiest, worst-controlling, least-optimised ports seen from a major publisher in a while. This isn't a case of customers whining, it is literally about being lied to about the product.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2011, 14:39   #20
GaryP
Stalker of Idiots

GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.GaryP is definitely a rep cheat.
Not getting a penny of my money. Liars and the DRM method is overkill.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H100 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | 1000W Silverstone Strider Plus PSU | PNY GTX580 Liquid Cooled | 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD | 2 2TB Hitachi SATA HDD | 2 x 1.5TB Samsung F2 SATA HDD | Asus Xonar D2X Soundcard | NZXT 810 Case | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit | Dual 27" Monitors
GaryP is online now   Reply With Quote