bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Sep 2011, 11:14   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Video Game Heroes and Game Music

Joe reflects on a recent trip to see the London Philharmonic Orchestra play a night of games music.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...gaming-music/1
Old 10th Sep 2011, 13:25   #2
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Sounds to me more like the wrong games/songs were chosen rather than anything to do with the suitability of game music to an orchestral rendition.
Old 10th Sep 2011, 14:56   #3
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I listened to something similar but it was ended up mostly being console stuff, 3 tunes out of a 2+ hr concert.
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 14:58   #4
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
i saw videogames live back in 09, was surprisingly good.
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 14:59   #5
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial View Post
Sounds to me more like the wrong games/songs were chosen rather than anything to do with the suitability of game music to an orchestral rendition.
That's the feeling I get, too.

Looking at the set list, I find myself unimpressed.
Old 10th Sep 2011, 16:07   #6
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
Those weren't just creaking ratchet-lights: they were actually miked up! Or more likely, two stage mics were poorly aimed and caught the edgemost light on each side. You could hear them loud and clear over the PA, very distracting. Apart from that, and the mixing being a bit weird (strings mics WAY down, drums overpowering everything else whenever played) it was a pretty good evening. The one track from the CD they've released so far doesn't have either of these problems, so it was probably just someone mucking up the desk on the night.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 19:01   #7
timmythemonkey
Monkeymodder

timmythemonkey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That ratchet was very annoying! A poor show on the lighting compared to VGL which has been held in the same venue. The staging of the performance felt very rushed.

Some odd choices for the music, but the Bond piece came across very well, and it was nice to see a Final Fantasy tune being played that wasn't One Winged Angel. I wonder what happened to the CoD pieces, maybe Activision did not play ball with the licencing, but it seems a bit odd as they were able to play a piece from WoW.

My (non-gaming) but very musical girlfriend struggled to tell when some pieces finished as there was almost no pause between some of them, something the orchestra and conductor should have known better than to do. Also, maybe this is just a thing with me, but I don't like having to applaud for an "encore" of music which was scheduled on the programme. If we’ve liked what you had to play, then give us something unexpected and enjoyable to end the night on, or at least some more of one of the night’s big hitters!

C+, it was a good night, but should try harder. Hoping VGL returns to UK shores for 2012!
Old 10th Sep 2011, 19:01   #8
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
+1 point for mentioning Enemy Zero. Great game that almost made me poop myself as a kid.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2011, 22:16   #9
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Yeah but I heard Battlefield was played. So disappointed I missed that! It's essential the right blend of pieces from games are chosen. Unfortunately for something that's as mainstream as games are now it's essential for a public event like that to have a set of highly recognisable or recent pieces.
Old 11th Sep 2011, 02:24   #10
KENJI
What's a Dremel?

KENJI has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OMG, I work there and I missed it lol. No-one told me about this lol. I was working on those days aswel.
Godammit!
KENJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 16:19   #11
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
The problem is that a lot of game music is great in context - it adds a lot to the atmosphere of a game (if done right) but sometimes sounds odd on its own. I remember loving the music in "Secret Weapons Over Normandy" but being disappointed by the soundtrack (the only game soundtrack I've ever gone out and bought) - it lacked context outside of the game.

Having said that I really like much of Jeremy Soule's music from Guild Wars. Many of those pieces stand on their own very well. I imagine a lot of his other work does as well.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 00:41   #12
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I saw videogames live, and they had a huge screen with gameplay videos running for the majority of songs (I'm guessing a few publishers were pricks and demanded too much $, for what amounts to free advertiseing).

I personally thought it was a pretty good show, dispite not recoginzeing even half the music.

Also saw went to see 'The music of Star Trek' a while back as well, and it was awesome, espically with John de Lancie and Robert Picardo as MCs
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 12:16   #13
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I would say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaDlfy-ibo8
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote