1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Video Game Heroes and Game Music

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Sounds to me more like the wrong games/songs were chosen rather than anything to do with the suitability of game music to an orchestral rendition.

3. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

I listened to something similar but it was ended up mostly being console stuff, 3 tunes out of a 2+ hr concert.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i saw videogames live back in 09, was surprisingly good.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That's the feeling I get, too.

Looking at the set list, I find myself unimpressed.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Those weren't just creaking ratchet-lights: they were actually miked up! Or more likely, two stage mics were poorly aimed and caught the edgemost light on each side. You could hear them loud and clear over the PA, very distracting. Apart from that, and the mixing being a bit weird (strings mics WAY down, drums overpowering everything else whenever played) it was a pretty good evening. The one track from the CD they've released so far doesn't have either of these problems, so it was probably just someone mucking up the desk on the night.

7. timmythemonkey

timmythemonkey Monkeymodder

That ratchet was very annoying! A poor show on the lighting compared to VGL which has been held in the same venue. The staging of the performance felt very rushed.

Some odd choices for the music, but the Bond piece came across very well, and it was nice to see a Final Fantasy tune being played that wasn't One Winged Angel. I wonder what happened to the CoD pieces, maybe Activision did not play ball with the licencing, but it seems a bit odd as they were able to play a piece from WoW.

My (non-gaming) but very musical girlfriend struggled to tell when some pieces finished as there was almost no pause between some of them, something the orchestra and conductor should have known better than to do. Also, maybe this is just a thing with me, but I don't like having to applaud for an "encore" of music which was scheduled on the programme. If we’ve liked what you had to play, then give us something unexpected and enjoyable to end the night on, or at least some more of one of the night’s big hitters!

C+, it was a good night, but should try harder. Hoping VGL returns to UK shores for 2012!

8. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

+1 point for mentioning Enemy Zero. Great game that almost made me poop myself as a kid.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Yeah but I heard Battlefield was played. So disappointed I missed that! It's essential the right blend of pieces from games are chosen. Unfortunately for something that's as mainstream as games are now it's essential for a public event like that to have a set of highly recognisable or recent pieces.

10. KENJI

KENJI What's a Dremel?

OMG, I work there and I missed it lol. No-one told me about this lol. I was working on those days aswel.
    Godammit!

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The problem is that a lot of game music is great in context - it adds a lot to the atmosphere of a game (if done right) but sometimes sounds odd on its own. I remember loving the music in "Secret Weapons Over Normandy" but being disappointed by the soundtrack (the only game soundtrack I've ever gone out and bought) - it lacked context outside of the game.

Having said that I really like much of Jeremy Soule's music from Guild Wars. Many of those pieces stand on their own very well. I imagine a lot of his other work does as well.

12. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I saw videogames live, and they had a huge screen with gameplay videos running for the majority of songs (I'm guessing a few publishers were pricks and demanded too much $, for what amounts to free advertiseing).

I personally thought it was a pretty good show, dispite not recoginzeing even half the music.

Also saw went to see 'The music of Star Trek' a while back as well, and it was awesome, espically with John de Lancie and Robert Picardo as MCs :D

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags