bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Sep 2011, 12:07   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Smartphones outsell feature phones for first time

Huge drops in feature phone sales are matched by large gains in smartphone sales, helped by Android.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...eature-phone/1
Old 12th Sep 2011, 12:24   #2
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Even my mother has a smartphone, and she hates mobile phones... using touch screen was the best thing that could happen to a phone
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 12:49   #3
the-beast
Modder

the-beast has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have a feature phone, as I can not afford a smart phone
the-beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 12:53   #4
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I use a "feature Phone" regularly due to high cost of using the smartphone here in Germany.
Also, use of the internet connection is not covered by usual "pre-paid" conditions here.
So people buy a Phone, load up 10€, use the net and get a bill over 1000€.
Legislation is slowly changing though, so we might get some interesting tariffs.

Also, roaming is ridiculously expensive.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 13:27   #5
dunx
ITX is where it's at !

dunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysis
Work provide me with a cheap nasty Nokia that does calls and txt. in monochrome...

What else do I need ?

dunx
Asus P6T7 WS Revo. + Asus U3S6 - i7-960 @ 3.8 GHz - Corsair H70 - 6 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 MHz - 64 GB Cucial M4 SSD - Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD's - HD 5870 + GTX 480 - Coolermaster 1250W PSU - ANTEC P280 - 4 x 240 V server fans - Griffin Powermate
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 13:49   #6
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
honestly my new smartphone (issued by the office) based on android, was better as a GPS device than the old handheld unit we had, and actually helped us better on our long range radio communications on getting the damn things aligned, and I couldn't ever think before that I would find such an awesome use for a smartphone,lol
Old 12th Sep 2011, 14:40   #7
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ctor
Even my mother has a smartphone, and she hates mobile phones... using touch screen was the best thing that could happen to a phone
no, it isn't. the keyboard on phones is much more practical. keyboards are so much faster to use, so much more responsive, and neither the keyboard nor your fingers get in the way of the screen. touch screens are good for navigation but otherwise they're just gimmicky and inefficient.
Old 12th Sep 2011, 15:04   #8
Apocalypso
Fully armed and operational.

Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
no, it isn't. the keyboard on phones is much more practical. keyboards are so much faster to use, so much more responsive, and neither the keyboard nor your fingers get in the way of the screen. touch screens are good for navigation but otherwise they're just gimmicky and inefficient.
In your opinion.

I would say a capacitative touchscreen allows a user to type faster than on a mechanical keyboard simply by virtue of little to no resistance when registering the keypress.
Apocalypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 15:17   #9
Taffy
Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Taffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I use a smartphone on PASYG because thats all I need, I could do with a simple phone , calls and text, plus a decent camera, but I cannot find one foe PASYG
Old 12th Sep 2011, 15:21   #10
Taffy
Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Taffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OOps that should read a simple Nokia NOT a smartphone
Old 12th Sep 2011, 15:54   #11
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Are there any smartphones out there that have a decent standby-and-call time?
Like a week standbytime@10 mins calls a day and some texts?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 15:59   #12
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
I sit in front of a computer at work all day and have one in almost every room of my house - I have not found any need for a smart phone. Besides that, Canada has some of the highest cost plans in the world (link1) (link 2). I'm not giving those greedy people any more money than I have to.

Occasionally I'd like to be able to look something up while on the road or in a restaurant but I can live with a bit of delay in looking up things - especially since waiting just a little is a lot more cost effective.

Last edited by Tyinsar; 12th Sep 2011 at 20:33.
Tyinsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 16:03   #13
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I have an LG Optimus GT540 and pay 10 a month for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.

Giff Gaff rock.
Zinfandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 17:23   #14
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Probably because Stephen Elop (CEO of Nokia - previously the biggest feature, and smart, phone maker) is doing everything he can to stop people buying Nokia phones. Since really Nokia were the only people who still made feature phones and now no-one makes featurephones anymore nobody can buy them.
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 19:24   #15
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ctor
She hated the buttons, she's very old, and using the touchscreen she can even send me messages, something that she didn't care about when she had old phones.

It's easier to use than old phones...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2011, 22:12   #16
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
Where did all these smartphone-hating luddites suddenly crawled from?

Go back to burning looms or something, this site is for tech enthusiasts.

HTPC: i3-3225 | H77-Pro4-M | 4Gb Ripjaws | GTX 660 |120 Gb Samsung 840 | Corsair CX400W | Silverstone GD-04
SlowMotionSuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 02:07   #17
malcolm
Multimodder

malcolm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ctor View Post
Nah, no tactile feedback is crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunx View Post
Work provide me with a cheap nasty Nokia that does calls and txt. in monochrome...

What else do I need ?
Same, and the answer is of course nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoca1yps0 View Post
I would say a capacitative touchscreen allows a user to type faster than on a mechanical keyboard simply by virtue of little to no resistance when registering the keypress.
Which is totally negated by actually having to look every time you try and press a virtual button to see if it worked. Tactile feedback > touch screen buttons every time a coconut. Shouldn't be too long before touch screens with tactile feedback get here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
Are there any smartphones out there that have a decent standby-and-call time?
No. I think my 1 yo Nokia still does 10 days though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionSuicide View Post
Where did all these smartphone-hating luddites suddenly crawled from?

Go back to burning looms or something, this site is for tech enthusiasts.
Ah huh... I'm guessing you're probably a pron enthusiast, but I bet you're not into interracial goat pron?

You can be enthusiastic about some techs and not others.

FWIW I have had them since things like the PPC2002 HTCs, as we develop for them. For their primary purpose they're all just varying degrees of crap compared to the trusty do nothing Nokia. For everything else I use a little foresight about my day, a netbook, and a life.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 02:29   #18
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My Droid Bionic approves of this message I got it on launch day and have been happy since. Before that I had the OG Droid and the performance was night and day.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 07:12   #19
Wicked_Sludge
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
ive got a "feature" phone...if you can call it that. its a pay-as-you-go no-contract motorola with basic text and calls. the only thing i wish it had was T9...as typing out every letter on a 10-key is a bit time consuming.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 09:36   #20
Apocalypso
Fully armed and operational.

Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Apocalypso - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
Which is totally negated by actually having to look every time you try and press a virtual button to see if it worked.
Which I don't have a problem and isn't an issue for many people that I know.

It sounds like you're justifying your own inability to type fluidly on a touchscreen as a problem with the hardware as a whole.

I don't like mechanical keyboards but I'm not about to dress it up as anything other than personal preference.

Last edited by Apocalypso; 13th Sep 2011 at 09:55.
Apocalypso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
subjective experiences