bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 12th Sep 2011, 19:55   #1
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
R-kaid-6 > (UPDATE 07.05.12 Additional wooden gamepad)

Two of the final pictures, check page 6 for more of them

This is my second modding attemt and Iīm here to recycle. Iīll be turning my very old computer into a kind of arcade console, emulating classics from the NES, SNES, SEGA, NEO GEO and many more. Iīll be using the arcade interface program Maximus Arcade for autoboot. I want to keep this artifact very simple, with sharp edges and small stylistic features, all covered in hardwood.. If youīve seen my previous mod sputnik 0667 youīll be familiar with the color concept: walnut, brass and matte black. I just canīt get enough of that combo! Iīm going to use walnut lumber and some veneer on MDF.

My old computer:

ASUS M2R-FVM
AMD Athlon 64
Geforce Winfast px7600 gt
DDR 512 mb
HDD 160 GB

Iīm not gonna use the DVD due to the lack of space.

Well, letīs get started...

And here, some dust and some RAW HEEEEE-MAN POWER!!!:

Look at this beauty! I love it... and so did the worms too once...

Okay, so Iīve just cut the lumber, some 18mm MDF and glued them together in six side pieces.

Tomorrow, itīs veneering time!

Follow me on: https://www.facebook.com/lovehultenau

Last edited by quizz_kid; 17th Aug 2012 at 11:36.
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 04:42   #2
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Another retro looking, cool idea build starting.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 22:14   #3
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Subbed I'd like to see how this turns out, nice idea .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 00:11   #4
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig - toyoracer View Post
Another retro looking, cool idea build starting.
Thnx man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Subbed I'd like to see how this turns out, nice idea .
Well me too... Thank you

Old 14th Sep 2011, 00:41   #5
quizz_kid
Squid

Veneering's done and done!

Cutting those angles

The front. Those smaller holes were not suppose to look like nostrils, but they DOOO!

Main push button

These are the joystick connectors. I wanted them to be unique in some way and figured standard USB woulnīt do it. So I picked these DIN 4-pin connectors which I found kinda retro looking

The front fans, or the "eyes". Never though I was gonna use led fans, but why not? Those eyes will burn in the night...

The backside. Iīm going to use the fan from my PSU for intake on the back.

Originally, I wanted to use a S-video to RCA-adapter for the retro feeling, but it turn out that wasnīt gonna work. When I plugged it to my TV, all I got was a bad b&w picture. Left with a few choices, I chose the VGA connector. So now I have to use a seperate cable for sound

Old 14th Sep 2011, 01:52   #6
LeandroJVarini
Mod is my life!

LeandroJVarini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the project wood! following
Old 14th Sep 2011, 22:26   #7
quizz_kid
Squid

Today I extended the PSU fan...

and put all the side pieces together!

Fronts

Backs

Bottom piece. nothing fancy, also 18mm MDF. I think this consoleīs gonna be quite heavy

Close up

Glue and let dry...

Finished shell!! The holes near the top are for dowels carrying the upcoming roof piece

I also made a mount for the HDD...

Thatīs it for today! yay!!

Last edited by quizz_kid; 15th Sep 2011 at 19:05.
Old 14th Sep 2011, 22:41   #8
Nutman
Never stuck with stock

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Subbed - neat idea.

Projects: Nutman - Hampen - F.O.B. T.C. - BabyShark - The Scratchbench
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 23:41   #9
quizz_kid
Squid

Today I began working on the foot. Itīs almost identical to the one I made for Sputnik 0667.

I also made the VGA cables. Thatīs a lot of soldering for two sockets...

Old 15th Sep 2011, 23:56   #10
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
Subbed - neat idea.
thank you

Old 16th Sep 2011, 01:19   #11
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Solid work, coming together nicely
Old 16th Sep 2011, 21:06   #12
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Verrry nice .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 21:11   #13
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Really nice job mate!
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2011, 18:22   #14
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig - toyoracer View Post
Solid work, coming together nicely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Verrry nice .
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight View Post
Really nice job mate!
thank you friends!

Old 17th Sep 2011, 18:46   #15
quizz_kid
Squid

Started on those joysticks today. pieces cutted and glued...

The making of customized usb cables, where I combine 4-pin DIN connectors with standard telephone coil cords. Gives it a nice touch I think.

Turned out it was a bit tricky soldering the small fragile copper wires into to the pins...
They would just break, break and break

... so I made these "briges", and heated directly on the plastic instead. It worked much better.

kinda creepy looking thing

finished and works just fine!

Old 18th Sep 2011, 02:22   #16
-Jv-
Multimodder

-Jv- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's some pretty impressive work. I like the Sputnik 0667 alot so I have high hopes for this !
-Jv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 04:53   #17
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Awesome! Makes me want to mod all me retro consoles into one big box. (I wont of course, that would be sacrilege)

Will enjoy watching this grow
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 20:02   #18
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jv- View Post
That's some pretty impressive work. I like the Sputnik 0667 alot so I have high hopes for this !
Thanx man. I too have high hopes, but if Sputnik is the meanest monster broiler from "Licence to grill", this project is more like a standard toaster. This one is going to end up more than fine, I just put a lot more heart and time into the Sputnik-mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbi View Post
Awesome! Makes me want to mod all me retro consoles into one big box. (I wont of course, that would be sacrilege)

Will enjoy watching this grow
Thank you. I know all about bad sacrilege

Old 18th Sep 2011, 20:26   #19
quizz_kid
Squid

The joysticks are getting top sides

cutted for a perfect fit

glued, dried and off to the sandpapers

support pieces

veneer cutting

glue, maybe a bit too much, I donīt know

some support for the pressure

pressure over night. C Yall 2morrow

Last edited by quizz_kid; 19th Sep 2011 at 00:39.
Old 19th Sep 2011, 22:23   #20
quizz_kid
Squid

continued on the joysticks today...

veneer for the bottom pieces

here they are, dried and cut.

controllers

a bit of sandpapering and ready for the drill. customized layout printed out on paper. I just marked the holes with a pricker. No ruler reeded...

I then used a 30mm bit for the standard 6 push buttons and a 25mm for the rest.
The buttons are being shipped from japan as we speak. Theyīre not cheap, but itīs worth it!

I know I said I wanted sharp edges, but decided to use a milling machine anyway. I made these tiny 45 angles just incase a decide to do some hardcore gaming

Almost done now

I put one more support piece inside. I donīt trust 6mm MDF

bottom pieces on. brass screws coming up

View Mode