bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Sep 2011, 21:39   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel Haswell CPU promises 10-day battery life

Laptops based on Intel Haswell CPUs will make trips to the charger a weekly or fortnightly affair.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ay-battery-l/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 21:41   #2
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
I hate to be a pessimist but if haswell features 10 day battery life I will donate £100 to charity, and I never donate.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 22:07   #3
sb1991
Supermodder

sb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What are they doing about displays?
Lian Li PC A05NB - AMD 955BE@3.8GHz - XFX ATI HD5850 - 8GB DDR3@1333MHz - 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 - Corsair Force 3 120GB - Enermax Modu82+625W - Asus Xonar D2X - Dell 2408wfp (A02) - Filco Majestouch II Ninja (browns) - Mackie MR5 x2
sb1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 23:13   #4
Gigglebyte
:3

Gigglebyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Let the hype begin!
Gigglebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 23:15   #5
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My bet is slightly more efficient CPU tied to a MASSIVE laptop sized battery in order to get that 10 days. Seriously, car battery sized it'll be.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 23:15   #6
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Why has my post been deleted?
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 23:19   #7
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really hope this is true. Regardless if it actually hits 10 days or not, it'll still a dramatic improvement over current standards. Too bad it's not out until 2013.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2011, 23:34   #8
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
More to the point will they actually manage to include overcharge protection so that when you are plugged in to the mains that you are not constantly charging the battery and reducing it's lifespan.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 01:34   #9
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
He says one week of general use, So how long is that when left constantly on? you know how we normally measure battery life.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 01:51   #10
aron311
Modder

aron311 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel always blow hot air when AMD is about to get some press, still don't like them for their anticompetitive practices.

Bulldozer cheesecake.
aron311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 02:29   #11
deadsea
Multimodder

deadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldeadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Let's not get too excited now. ‘more than a ten-days, always-connected standby capability on a single charge.’ A laptop's not much good stuck in standby all day. And they can only reduce the power consumption on the cpu. I believe displays are proportionally the biggest power drain in a laptop?
Now to wait for acceptable colour e-ink to make its appearance.
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 04:45   #12
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight
Why has my post been deleted?
Just tidying up the thread after Snips' antics - I deleted posts that referenced that silliness to avoid confusing new posters - this reason is stated if you view the thread in the forum. Either way, it's no reflection on your comment, which was perfectly valid.

Please don't follow Snips' lead by posting the same phrase in multiple threads though.

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 06:52   #13
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd like to see a smartphone last a weekend first

What's "connected Standby"? Connected to what?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 07:49   #14
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
I'd like to see a smartphone last a weekend first

What's "connected Standby"? Connected to what?
The mains
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 08:20   #15
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
More to the point will they actually manage to include overcharge protection so that when you are plugged in to the mains that you are not constantly charging the battery and reducing it's lifespan.
I don't believe this is for Intel to meddle with, this should be down to the laptop manufacture not the chip maker

Kimbie
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 08:48   #16
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claave View Post
Just tidying up the thread after Snips' antics - I deleted posts that referenced that silliness to avoid confusing new posters - this reason is stated if you view the thread in the forum. Either way, it's no reflection on your comment, which was perfectly valid.

Please don't follow Snips' lead by posting the same phrase in multiple threads though.
Ok noted

This should be really interesting, I do find it hard to believe that a laptop can last for 10 days but then I would consider myself quite a heavy user.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 08:56   #17
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
That's what I'm interested in. MMy laptop is plugged into the mains 99% of the time, so imporoved battery life doesn't interest me that much. But not having the battery die on me does.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 09:09   #18
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm not that impressed, but that's because it's a rather difficult text, all in all.
A lot is left unsaid.
Quote:
‘This means that we’ll be able to enable all-day usage and more than a ten-days, always-connected standby capability on a single charge.’
What does he mean...all-day use, OR ten day standby?
Ten days of all day use AND standby in between?

Just to emphasize: current netbooks give you ~6-8 hours of use (which could be considered all-day in a work environment) OR a week in standby (lowest energy saving mode).

Or this interpretation of the former:
Quote:
That should mean that in typical use – a bit of work and a bit of web-browsing, and sleeping the laptop in between use – will result in only having to hunt out the power brick every week or two.
So...20-30 mins of excel, some email reading, 2x 10 mins wikipedia, about an hour to hour and a half a day with standby in between.
Again, this is what a current netbook will do with three days between charges.

Hey Ipad-folks, how long does your battery last when using it for some light browsing about an hour a day?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 09:37   #19
minimad127
CPC Refugee

minimad127 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelminimad127 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice idea, doubt it will happen,

what would be nice to see though is some inbuilt remote charging circuits and low cost remote charging pads, so that you can position the pads around the house in convienent places, attach it under a table top so that when you put the laptop on the table is will charge, have one on your bed side table, on a worktop in the kitchen etc

this added in with the jelly batteries http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14852073 could make interesting solutions
minimad127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2011, 11:23   #20
TeddyStretchMe
What's a Dremel?

TeddyStretchMe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Believe it when i see it in action.
TeddyStretchMe is offline   Reply With Quote