bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Sep 2011, 13:23   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Culture secretary calls for quicker rollout of cable broadband

The UK's culture secretary warns that the rollout of superfast broadband is taking too long.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...out-too-slow/1
Old 15th Sep 2011, 13:41   #2
billysielu
Multimodder

billysielu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
UK has already fallen behind. We've got some catching up to do!
billysielu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 13:49   #3
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysielu
UK has already fallen behind. We've got some catching up to do!
Agreed
This is all a bit late and a bit predictable, businesses blaming each other for creating the hold ups and MP's bitching about it.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 13:50   #4
derpooch
Multimodder

derpooch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm getting my 30MB fibre installed on Saturday, so I will finally have a decent connection, can't wait for my Steam collection to finally be downloaded! I think that the UK seriously needs to step up the game with broadband, we're falling behind, as with seemingly everything... Since it was mentioned, I can't wait for the 4G roll-out, hopefully more widespread than 3G (and I really hope that LTE phones can finally have some battery life when we get them!)
Old 15th Sep 2011, 13:52   #5
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
'We need to ensure we do not make the same mistake in broadband that we made in railways,' said Hunt, 'building our high-speed network 45 years after the French and 62 years after the Japanese'

In terms of internet technology we are already the equivalent of 60 years behind Japan, South Korea and parts of Scandinavia. We can't hope to keep up but I guess we can be ambitious and hope that we can at least be moving forward.
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 13:54   #6
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm happy at the moment on my 100mb connection.

But considering all the restriction's placed on the connection's at the moment by all the ISP's what is the point really in having anything more than 100mb.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 14:02   #7
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Blimey, Rutland to get fibre optic BB?
Old 15th Sep 2011, 14:12   #8
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
mobile network providers need to setup more network masks (o2 seem to be the only network doing that, they setup tall pole network towers with the 3-8 antenna's in them, I drive past loads every day most are o2)

fttc needs rolling out in bigger citys not just places with less the 3000 houses (forget cable they never expand any more they never go onto new housing estates where its needed, like Boston Boston boulevard warrington lucky if you get 1mbps broadband with bt and there is no plans for fttc yet )
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 14:42   #9
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Broadband is slow to upgrade due to the hassle of digging up and replacing lines. Its also costly due to the amount of time and man hours sunk into digging, planning and actually carrying out the upgrade. The lines need upgraded but it would be far better focusing on mobile broadband, keeping cost per MB down for the end user while improving coverage and speed to hit their targets. Surely it would be cheaper and easier to improve coverage that way and upgrade to fibre over a longer period of time. If the government took control of cell sites and leased them it could recover costs to upgrade the fiber network too.
The other side is it would help if BT didn't focus on areas already covered by virgin's high speed network (excluding inner cities ofc). A bit of co-ordination would go a long way.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 14:44   #10
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well I can assure you now cable do go in to new houses aslong as the site owner allow's them to.

If you are in Warrington Cheshire the Ambulance Station near Howley there is new houses being built there and they are getting cable, same as the new houses being built in where Greenal's Brewery was they are also getting cable.

Fibre to the curb is not needed the coax cable that is used by some cable provider's can do 2gb on it before they need to think about using Fibre to the house.
Old 15th Sep 2011, 14:54   #11
BlodadTand
What's a Dremel?

BlodadTand has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk
Blimey, Rutland to get fibre optic BB?
Hope it reaches me on the border.
BlodadTand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 15:03   #12
Psy-UK
Multimodder

Psy-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Faster broadband is great and everything but not when ISPs cap the hell out of you for downloading relatively little.
Psy-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 15:07   #13
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
fiber to the cab (not curb) your thinking of fttp (goes to the house)

also its not some its all Vm cable is coax only never fiber (vm is fttc with coax never fiber the shops are still lying that the fiber comes to the house , bt's fttc but with phone cable so max is around 40-100mb avg been 30mbps in most cases not many will ever see fttp on bt)

just wish bt would role out fttc to bad areas first with poor 0.5-2mb or lower speeds
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 15:08   #14
Astatine
What's a Dremel?

Astatine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@javaman

Having only BT or Virgin in each area would only be any good if Virgin wasn't a monopoly.

With Virgin, there's no wholesale service, no resellers with alternative deals and setups. You get their service or nothing. And their service comes with built-in censorship and the worst customer support in the world. (SIX WEEKS to fix my connection last time it broke, and they only found the fault after I cancelled my contract and moved to DSL!)

Virgin needs to be forced to provide wholesale access. Ideally, broken into two companies, like Openreach vs. BT Broadband. That's something that an MP concerned with this country's broadband competitiveness could usefully legislate!
Astatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 15:11   #15
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
3G is a joke. You can hardly get it anywhere.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 15:17   #16
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatine
@javaman

Having only BT or Virgin in each area would only be any good if Virgin wasn't a monopoly.

With Virgin, there's no wholesale service, no resellers with alternative deals and setups. You get their service or nothing. And their service comes with built-in censorship and the worst customer support in the world. (SIX WEEKS to fix my connection last time it broke, and they only found the fault after I cancelled my contract and moved to DSL!)

Virgin needs to be forced to provide wholesale access. Ideally, broken into two companies, like Openreach vs. BT Broadband. That's something that an MP concerned with this country's broadband competitiveness could usefully legislate!
You do realise why BT was forced to allow other companies on to it's network don't you?

If you don't I will inform you, it's because there network was created with goverment money compare to Nynex when it 1st started was not goverment money.

You can also get a reseller of Virgin broadband but on business so you find someone who will charge you less than they pay Virgin for the connection.

Have you ever heard of a company called Fujitsu they are about to trial Fibre to the home but I can't say where and let me tell you now, it's at a faster speed than anyone is currently offering to houses in the UK!!!
Old 15th Sep 2011, 16:22   #17
Tsung
Multimodder

Tsung has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It appears BT are only interested in updating exchanges where there is already high speed broadband or virgin cable service. This is the real problem, they neglect/ignore areas that have lesser broadband in favour of trying to compete with Virgin.

Maybe the government should make both companies expand into area's that are not already serviced by high speed broadband. Then the rest of the country should/would catch up.
Tsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 17:00   #18
kol
Supermodder

kol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck View Post
3G is a joke. You can hardly get it anywhere.
+1.

You would think being a 1st world country we'd all have it standard by now, a friend of mine hassled the council and BT about his 800kbs download speed, they installed a fibre optic line to his house. He was (Like me) pissed off at due to the slow upgrade speed BT and the council are at rolling out fibre optic lines.

My town is to be the first in my county to get Fibre Optic installed, not until March 2012. Knowing BT theyll find some **** excuse to delay it somehow-_-.
Old 15th Sep 2011, 17:58   #19
Ayrto
Supermodder

Ayrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for president
My local exchange is FTTC infinity enabled and the new distinctive cabinets have sprung up around the area, alas, there isn't one at the end of my street . I did phone BT on an unrelated matter and they intimated availability was based on registered interest in any given area and that the old cabinet would remain at least until 2012, though why they can't give an approx time scale is beyond me.
Ayrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2011, 17:59   #20
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I have FTTC.

Youtube still plays video in five second bursts.

Gah.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote