bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Sep 2011, 11:36   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony announces PS Vita battery pack

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...battery-pack/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 11:42   #2
mecha.

mecha. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hang on... So they havent actually released the device yet... but they are allready working on an external battery pack... and this is a major entertainment company we are talking about... im confused :/
mecha. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 11:43   #3
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
The battery life isn't my main concern - it's the idiotic proprietary storage format.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 11:44   #4
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
So they give you an "incomplete" battery then sell you a "DLC" battery pack?

I have a feeling consumers are now being pimped by corporates.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 12:13   #5
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess

I see where your coming from but if the full battery pack doesn't fit inside the machine I don't see any other option. I would rather this solution than none at all.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 12:24   #6
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess

I see where your coming from but if the full battery pack doesn't fit inside the machine I don't see any other option. I would rather this solution than none at all.
If that is a solution in your eyes, my goodness...

This is a workaround that you have to pay for, if it was free then yes solution, but since it probably won't be free... a device claiming to be portable that needs to be plugged in a lot should be a flop.
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 12:24   #7
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
I think its a problem that's beyond sony's control. Battery technology is stagnant and while component power usage is down while performance up, its still a job to balance between performance and battery life. Maybe battery tech will improve enough for a battery swap in a few years but until then this is a less than perfect solution. After all, how many business men carry spare laptop or phone batteries?
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 12:36   #8
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This just indicates that the battery life on a PS (Ry)Vita is shocking.
I mean, how long is the flight from New York to San fransisco? 4 Hours?
I would expect a modern gaming device to be able to provide 4 hours battery life as standard.
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 13:14   #9
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
I'd imagine that is a poor example but its not just the flight though is it, there is the journey to the airport, the waiting in the airport and then the plane itself.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 13:44   #10
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman
I think its a problem that's beyond sony's control. Battery technology is stagnant and while component power usage is down while performance up, its still a job to balance between performance and battery life. Maybe battery tech will improve enough for a battery swap in a few years but until then this is a less than perfect solution. After all, how many business men carry spare laptop or phone batteries?
They should have gotten the Perf/Power usage right from the start.
4 hours of usage is pretty bad for a mobile gaming device.
They should have spent a bit more on some better battery tech.

edit : Li-Ion is old tech nowadays.
Lithium polymer could have been possible, as well as even newer tech.
All i'm saying is why aren't we paying for quality tech, rather than off the shelf Telephone battery.

Last edited by Evildead666; 16th Sep 2011 at 13:52.
Evildead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 14:08   #11
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman
They should have gotten the Perf/Power usage right from the start.
4 hours of usage is pretty bad for a mobile gaming device.
They should have spent a bit more on some better battery tech.

edit : Li-Ion is old tech nowadays.
Lithium polymer could have been possible, as well as even newer tech.
All i'm saying is why aren't we paying for quality tech, rather than off the shelf Telephone battery.
I don't get this argument at all. They have to balance battery life with cost, weight, performance and size. The included battery isn't gimped in some way so they can sell you an additional higher capacity battery. Its how it would have shipped. Considering the lifespan they expect these things to have its better they don't pullback on its hardware for the first gen devices. After all, the tech inside will get more efficient overtime.
Battery's haven't advanced much and we demand more and more from our devices. While I agree 3 hours doesn't cut it for a so called portable device this is a nice compromise.

I think the same way about phones too. I would like the option of an OFFICIAL extended battery, especially on the Xperia play!
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 14:10   #12
Narishma
Multimodder

Narishma has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Am I the only person who doesn't see anything wrong with the 3 to 5 hours of battery life? I mean, it's the same amount as the 3DS, and my smartphone can't even last a couple of hours when playing games...
Narishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 14:35   #13
Plugs
Supermodder

Plugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narishma
Am I the only person who doesn't see anything wrong with the 3 to 5 hours of battery life? I mean, it's the same amount as the 3DS, and my smartphone can't even last a couple of hours when playing games...
Your not alone; I agree with your views.
Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 14:57   #14
Stonerd
The monkey's out of the bottle, man

Stonerd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narishma
this - and considering the quality of games they are making available to a portable, i was kind of impressed
Stonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 15:38   #15
jelderkin
What's a Dremel?

jelderkin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love how companies create these devices where they actually need an additional battery pack wouldn't it make more sense to spend the extra money on improving the battery life for the product in question.

Might just be me but seems a lame way of improving battery life reminds me of those battery packs you used to get on the old gameboy colours lol
jelderkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 16:14   #16
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
...lol.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 16:17   #17
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
How can they improve battery life to the above, if you travel with a laptop for work a spare battery is a must this isn't anything new. Battery life has not improved for years.

Thrash your latest smartphone they will last 2-3 hrs , 3ds is 3-5 hrs as well
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 16:34   #18
Rustypouch
Multimodder

Rustypouch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am not really bothered, 3-5 hours is fine. Cannot see me splashing out extra for a battery pack either. On a long haul flight, this could present a problem, but I do not fly long distances frequently enough for this to be a problem. If you are a frequent flyer and you plan on spending 3-5 hours (plus how ever long the Battery Pack lasts if your were to buy one) playing your PSV on the plane, then yes problem. A couple hour long sessions would do for me.
Old 16th Sep 2011, 17:25   #19
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For the quality it outputs, and the fact that battery tech has mostly remained stagnant (thanks to the vile oil companies that buy up promising battery tech and make it lead nowhere, according to at least a few sources) 4 hours is rather stunning.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2011, 21:44   #20
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You mean it doesn't provide better graphics than my gaming PC while also having a 20 hour battery life? QQRAGE.

At first this idea really surprised me, but on the second glance it seems pretty understandable. Just look at the Vita specs thread, people were talking about wanting a removable battery pack so they could carry spares. Not to mention the memories of "the old days" carrying spare AA batteries for long trips. Since the Vita battery pack isn't accessible it seems likely that they'll just take the normal Vita battery and plop in into a little black plastic case with a cord coming out to plug into your Vita and another little cord for plugging into a wall outlet. Boom, double battery life.