1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deus Ex: Human Revolution gets in-game adverts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Sep 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

So they haven't fixed the union flag on the helicopter towards then end yet though?! :p

3. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Why the hell am I buying this game AND having to pay for it in advertising?

GTFO.

4. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Cause they can get away with it :/

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Can I just pull out the internet plug?

6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Sadly I think that this is the future of gaming :(

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

8. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I think the least they could do is make it opt in and you get the DLC free but obviously that would benefit the people who bought the game and, you know, **** them.

9. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I almost bought this and everything!

10. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

Same here, I very nearly bought this last night and was strongly considering buying it today after I saw my specs were probably good enough to play at decent settings. Did this game really sell so poorly that they felt the need to bring advertisers in? I'd rather not pirate games anymore since I have more than enough money these days, but **** like this really makes it hard to kick the habit.

11. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Anyone else find it interesting that this was added via patch after the game was released, reviewed and critically acclaimed?

Hardly the end of the world but still a slight against gamers. It's not like it's a F2P product that relies on advertising for revenue, this is a premium AAA title at full retail price.

It's a shame considering the game is so awesome in most other ways.

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I never asked for this.

13. The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw What's a Dremel?

Financial dealings aside, is it really an issue?

Look at Blade Runner, those advertising airships didn't detract from the movie experience (I know it was all fictitious ads but the principle is there), in fact it added to it.

Advertising is so endemic in our culture that this is inevitable. By including real world ads, so long as it's done with subtlety shouldn't detract from your gaming experience. And as advertising is so rife now, surely a game set in the future should have ads in it?

Unless you are the easily suggestible type, in which case you need to give me all of your money.

14. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Wow. I want to be eloquently outraged but my disgust is making me want to use harsh words and impotent threats of physical violence.

Just when I thought game publishers couldn't get any lower than Ubisoft, Square Enix pulls out a winner from the "screw customers by stealth and deception" draw.

Square Enix has now introduced us to a new low in consumer fraud with the "ex post facto bait and switch". So you thought you had bought Item X? With the application of a forced update you have a new refreshed Item X with unwelcome Y attached. Of course the additional Y is of no benefit to you whatsoever, but by forcing it on you we get to have Friday afternoon money baths in the office. The only down side is that money baths don't wash off the slimebag stench.

I bet pirates don't have to put up with this crap, which is why it is still The Better Choice(tm) for the fifth year in a row.

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Anyone who plays a valve game is already used to this, CS, TF2 etc all have adverts during map loading.

i played and beat it (fantastic game) I'll probably go back and make a non-stealth character this time.

Fun game, haven't seen the adverts but can't imagine it being overbearing

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Meh who cares? As long as it is done well then I really don't see a problem with it unless it starts to hog bandwidth.

17. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Apart from foisting it on their customers by stealth?

That aside, I'm...really...fed up with constant advertising everywhere, all the time. Everywhere I go, everything I do, it is there offending my senses. Just when you think you are desensitised to the visual and auditory pollution, a new way is found to invade your life, forcing you to focus for that nano-second it takes to insert their brand into your awareness.

* I took a piss a few months ago in a venue toilet and the back of the stall had advertising on it.
    * With PVRs and digital downloads people aren't viewing advertisements in TV programs any more so some networks are inserting advertising in the bottom third DURING the show (because that isn't at all disruptive) or inserting offensively overt and intrusive product placement during sporting events and "reality" shows.
    * FFS, school newsletters go home with advertising on them now, and companies provide corporate-branded indoctrination and re-education kits...no, sorry I meant to say "educational resources" for classroom lessons.
    * My doctor's waiting room now has a TV monitor with looped Flash-like (it may be Flash) advertising segments, because I'm a captive audience while I wait and wait and wait.
    * They even insert advertisements for Lightspeed Briefs into your dreams. Into your dreams! Or was that just a Futurama episode...
    [​IMG]

The military has a joke: "If it moves salute it, if it doesn't move paint it".
    Advertisers probably say: "If it moves put an advertisement on it, if it doesn't move put an advertisement on it".

Silver51 likes this.
  18. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Except they let it be known from the outset there would be in game advertising
    Seems a bit of a storm in a teacup to me the ad itself is fairly unobtrusive appearing only in the loading screens and even then takes up less than 1/20th of the screen.

19. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

This should really be an opt-in option, as it may well detract from the game for many people.
    Unfortunately, as much as I love it, this is the downside of Steam: The ability to change a game in ways I don't like, after I've bought it. I liked TF2 at launch, I bought it, they changed it, I don't like it now.
    There were rumours after the new AvP that some of the more violent scenes might be patched out. Any game on such a digital platform could be adjusted the same way. Imagine if George Lucas had his hand in all the Star Wars games, he'd be ****ing them up again & again every few months.

20. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Honestly, I'm not overly bothered by this, they did make it known before hand, and you can mod it out. I am curious however, is this ONLY the PC version or do GameBox owners also get ads thrust at them?

Tags: Add Tags