bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Sep 2011, 12:29   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Dead Island Review

Can Dead Island do enough to spice up the over-saturated zombie genre?

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/xbox-...sland-review/1
Old 18th Sep 2011, 13:19   #2
DatenThielt
Modder

DatenThielt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"There are three crudely stereotypical characters from which to choose - a rapper, a Chun-Li analogue, a Texan and an ex-cop"

You mean 4 right
DatenThielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 13:27   #3
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Maybe the ex-cop isn't eating doughnuts and is therefore not a stereotype :P

It's a shame this game looks so, bland. Everyone who I know who plays it says it's fun, but watching game run throughs, and Mack and Mesh's run through, it looks a bit boring and repetitive. Not to mention like a console port on the PC. Coupled together the problems it's had on the PC platform with them releasing a developer build instead of the actual release.

Having said that I played Borderlands, and loved that. And that can be described as repetitive and had a couple of bugs on release too. Meh maybe i'll pick it up when it gets cheaper
Old 18th Sep 2011, 13:31   #4
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatenThielt
"There are three crudely stereotypical characters from which to choose - a rapper, a Chun-Li analogue, a Texan and an ex-cop"

You mean 4 right
My bad, fixed.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 13:32   #5
hurrakan
Modder

hurrakan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think the PC version is slightly better ... but I'll just wait for the Dead Rising: Off the Record
hurrakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 14:01   #6
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wait for this to hit a steam sale! i do enjoy a zombie game!

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 14:15   #7
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
It is a fun game.

It is a Mixture of the last alone in the dark and dead rising 2.

Looks like every HUGE open world game suffer from the same problem: repetitive kind of sidequests. It is like the major problem is also the major attraction. It happened with Far Cry 2. The game was really good, beautifull, nice interface and ideas... But it was VERY repetitive!

Don't expect much from Dead Island, but still it's really fun. Still my preferred zombie game is Left 4 Dead (the first one) and plants vs zombies
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 14:20   #8
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
i couldn't see in the article which platform you reviewed the game on, was it the 360 as the link to the second page is titled?
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 15:07   #9
t.y.wan
What's a Dremel?

t.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremelt.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremelt.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The "animations" require quite a bit more work... If a player picks up a crate, and walk, you will see what I meant. The climbing animation? Looks really funky - -" The shadows are also horrible...
Storyline? Seems none, if you ask me. Logic? Horrible... Driving? Crazy...
HOWEVER! Playing "Co-Op" is really really funny, (Less looting would be even better...) people do things despite it ain't rational... Fun of coz.
t.y.wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 15:21   #10
FifteeeCal
Modder

FifteeeCal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Best way to describe Dead Island: First-person Dead Rising.
FifteeeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 16:30   #11
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight View Post
i couldn't see in the article which platform you reviewed the game on, was it the 360 as the link to the second page is titled?
I would have thought that made it obvious, but: Yes. I'm playing the PC version at the moment too, but my thoughts run mostly the same.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 16:34   #12
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Ok yeah I can see it clearly now!
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 17:52   #13
Slizza
beautiful to demons

Slizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming Saiyan
this is goty for me so far on PC.
Old 18th Sep 2011, 18:31   #14
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I liked it.. it does get better from the start

it does get loopy though, you'll see what I mean when you reach the last boss.. it's like a little kids script.. let's throw common sense out the window.. think they were writing it for the console crowd cause they'll eat up anything

if you want to just blow through the game.. there's a file in the pak that let's you mod all the variables.. even xp multiplier, so you can be level 50 after killing one zombie if you wanted.. mod your speed, stamina, everything

I went through the game without cheating- there was some challenge.. magic wand mod is the best though.. it knocks them down even bosses- just put all points into crit

then jump on their head for one hit kills did this with the last boss who you would think be immune to this cheese

also to improve the visuals look in the video.scr.. change the shader to 4 and you can smooth out the shadows there too
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 18:56   #15
leibritz
What's a Dremel?

leibritz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I play on PC and the controls are 100% better than in Dead Rising. The game is very enjoyable and the kills satisfying. It has a ton of bugs, but it somehow does not spoil the game for me. I am having fun every minute I play
leibritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 19:01   #16
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
yeah you guys notice the level 3 chests are all junk? think opened them all- got one rare set of brass knuckles.. and even those were about 3 levels lower than the level I was at

best stuff was bought at the traders and they give you some really sweet stuff in prison for doing the side quests
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 09:44   #17
Senilex
Not a Troll. Honest.

Senilex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Isn't the main difference between the characters are the skill Trees? Poor miss there.
Senilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 13:02   #18
Madmonkee
What's a Dremel?

Madmonkee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
truely gruesome, annoyed that damage taken doesnt scale with lvl. I am at lvl 41 now, zombies only have to hit you twice, once sometimes and you dead..... tad annoying. Dev weps are fun, but why can you not put them on better weapons!? whats that all about
Madmonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 13:48   #19
Teh Noob Slayer
Minimodder

Teh Noob Slayer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lots of bugs in the PC game, disappearing radar in coop, Main mission bug ; where you can't swap to a side mission while in coop, your friends have to quit first then rejoin. An item stacking bug, where 10 items (medkit or alcohol) should fit in one inventory slot but gets split for some reason and takes up two slots.

The above shouldn't put you off though, the game plays like borderlands though ('iffy' graphics), lots of weapons and the ability to make customised weapons. If you liked Borderlands you will definitely like this game. Game is much easier in coop mode.

*I believe the ex-cop Purna is an 'alleged' woman.

Last edited by Teh Noob Slayer; 19th Sep 2011 at 13:59.
Teh Noob Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 15:23   #20
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Been playing it on PC & it's not the open world zombie game I was hoping for, combat is pretty good & like the focusing on body parts of it & the environments are good but it's lacking sooooooo much like it was rushed out, no day/night cycles neither, maybe the devs of the game might add some of what I was hoping for in a big patch but if not then maybe modders will but I won't hold my breath, 30 not well spent already recomended some to wait for sale unless they are mad keen to play it, just feels so repetitive & not very interesting.

Also it overheated my gtx 580 very badly because of no v-sync & something to do with the controls when on mouse & keys causes stutter lag, you can enable v-sync by modding the video settings file but you still get stutter lag so to sort the other probs there is a tool released by modders that fixes issues to get the game playing smooth, my gtx 580 was ramping up the fan speed so I run a log of the temps & it reached 90c in 5 minutes of playing so it's a potential gpu killer if you don't enable v-sync.

I agree with the 65% score.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote