bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Sep 2011, 12:51   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Windows 8 tablets will support Flash

Adobe confirms that Windows 8 will support Flash in the standard desktop mode.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ws-8-tablets/1
Old 19th Sep 2011, 12:56   #2
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
I will Be Getting one eventually (hopefully)
and hope that i can get by without Flash, its horrible.

we just need youtube to catchup and remove the requirement for flash
Old 19th Sep 2011, 13:13   #3
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
iPad does YouTube and has no flash
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 13:22   #4
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

antiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Because youtube has a lot of its videos also in html5 but not all yet
antiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 13:59   #5
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
iPad does YouTube and has no flash
Except that it is not in flash. I'd like to see a tablet on which you can install whatever OS you want (a linux ?)

Really Apple has nice product ... but I can't bear Apple and it politics (fat melon head ?).

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 14:23   #6
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cant flash just die already.
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 14:29   #7
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Die flash, die!
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 14:36   #8
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon View Post
Die flash, die!
shhhhh ... adobe could hear you

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 15:45   #9
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Die flash, die!
Why would it die? It's less CPU intensive than HTML5, and video playback uses the GPU, unlike HTML5. Plus HTML5 is limited compared to Flash.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 16:58   #10
xinaes
Multimodder

xinaes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes
Quote:
Die flash, die!
Why would it die? It's less CPU intensive than HTML5, and video playback uses the GPU, unlike HTML5. Plus HTML5 is limited compared to Flash.
It's not quite correct to state that HTML5 doesn't use the GPU for video playback. Of course the spec itself is somewhat orthogonal to browser implementations, but I believe development of GPU accelerated HTML5 is well underway for all of the major browsers.
Old 19th Sep 2011, 16:59   #11
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
But I can't use flash on my iPad
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 17:10   #12
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinaes View Post
It's not quite correct to state that HTML5 doesn't use the GPU for video playback. Of course the spec itself is somewhat orthogonal to browser implementations, but I believe development of GPU accelerated HTML5 is well underway for all of the major browsers.
Oh I agree, don't get me wrong... but the time it gets there.. it will take many years. While at the same time, obviously, Flash will continue to move forward. The day Flash will day, is when Flash development stop, and HTML5 surpasses it with some margin.

Already it looks like Flash 11 64-bit is coming along, plus 3D support with GPU acceleration, and uses even more the GPU to render graphics, dropping the work load of the CPU, which should help boost battery life. Flash 11 is still in beta, but sounds promising.

Ideally, Flash should be full GPU rendered (as it should have been since day 1), and that would solve a big problem. As all that is Flash is doing is really easy to go for any GPU, but killer for the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96 View Post
But I can't use flash on my iPad
So don't buy products that doesn't fit your needs.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 19th Sep 2011, 17:14   #13
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
unless html5 steps up more, you won't really see flash "die" anytime soon, on simple stuff, html5 excels at efficiency and especially low power usage compared to flash, but on sites (games even) that have complex stuff to do?, well sorry to burst your bubble but the sad truth is flash is faster , though html5 technologies continue to develop, but for now, its just a no brainer.
Old 19th Sep 2011, 17:23   #14
Oggyb
Mutant

Oggyb has yet to learn the way of the DremelOggyb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
On a usability note, I'm looking forward to the day when my semi-pc-literate friends buy a new win8 machine and get hopelessly confused when confronted with two versions of the same browser that look different and one doesn't support plugins.

Ace.
Oggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 17:35   #15
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
adobe makes some crazy good stuff.. think the flash plugin gets updated so often though there's bugs that pop up

general public + bugs = steve jobs dancing around
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 19:44   #16
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Microsoft is making some really bold moves with Win8, from the inclusion of an ARM version to their insistence on using HTML5 instead of relying on Flash for Metro.

Bold moves, but also good moves I think; and ones which may actually benefit the user in the longer-term; not just Microsoft.
Old 19th Sep 2011, 21:45   #17
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well to me, the fact that it's Windows more importantly means that I can use DOSBOX!!!!!! Flash is just icing on the cake... So basically regardless of the performance of the device, I can play fun Flash games and reaaally fun DOS games. (As well as all the other stuff you can do on a tablet). That instantly makes the iPad worthless and obsolete, imo.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 21:53   #18
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
we just need youtube to catchup and remove the requirement for flash
It doesn't have a requirement for flash though. I can browse youtube quite happily on my iPad and iPhone. Never encountered a video it couldn't play.

Last edited by Guinevere; 19th Sep 2011 at 22:05.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 22:01   #19
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes
Why would it die? It's less CPU intensive than HTML5
LOL. I know where you're coming from but sheesh, you're the worst defence lawyer ever!

Yes, there are tasks where HTML 5 uses more CPU than Flash. But to side with flash based on it's low CPU usage! No, no and thrice no. It's a CPU hog, that is THE main user end issue with flash.

(The other big issue is web deliverable apps would remove the revenue stream of "app stores")

Edit:

Rep given to all fellow flash haters
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 22:13   #20
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
LOL. I know where you're coming from but sheesh, you're the worst defence lawyer ever!
Good thing I am not doing a degree in that field
Quote:
Yes, there are tasks where HTML 5 uses more CPU than Flash. But to side with flash based on it's low CPU usage! No, no and thrice no. It's a CPU hog, that is THE main user end issue with flash.
Yea you are right using HTML 5 like HTML1, simple basic formatting pages. HTML is faster.
I am obviously not talking about that. I am talking about video, audio, and animations.

Doing a website in full Flash and such, is plain idiotic. These are people who don't know how to use Flash. Same for Java, and Java-Script. There are proper way, and optimized ways to do things. When it's well programmed, and well used on both, is what I am comparing.

Quote:
Edit:
Rep given to all fellow flash haters
Congrads you broke the rep system.