1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam [How to] Setup FaceTrackNoIR for DCS A-10C in Win7 x64

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by miahallen, 19 Sep 2011.

1. miahallen

miahallen Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

FaceTrackNoIR is a free app which uses your webcam to track your face and adjust your camera view in game accordingly...much like "TrackIR" but without any extra hardware. Here is how to set it up for A-10C Warthog :)

Before you start, I suggest you ensure your system is pretty fresh. I ran into major hold ups due to device driver & codec conflicts that existed on my system prior to starting.
    Part of troubleshooting lead me to reinstall Windows (which was long overdue anyhow). If you system has any issues, I'd suggest you figure those out before proceeding.

My system specs (for the record):

• Intel i7 2600K @ 5.1GHz
    • Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67
    • 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1866
    • 120GB Vertex 3 SSD & 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive
    • 3x GTX 580 in tri-SLI
    • 2560x1600 Samsung 305T+
    • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
    • nVidia Forceware drivers 280.26
    • Logitech Webcam 9000Pro
    • Saitek Cyborg Evo Force FFB joystick (FFB not working yet :joystick:)

1. Download and install the faceAPI portion of the SeeingMachines headtracking Demo (after the 1st portion of installation when faceAPI finished, you can cancel the rest)
    2. Download and install the FaceTrackNoIR v130 program.
    3. Download the FaceTrackNoIR v150 update and extract the files to the FaceTrackNoIR directory overwriting the original files (I made a small donation to the FaceTrackNoIR author and he sent me the v160 update, I do not know if the v150 will work with my setup or not).
    4. Download the ED API interface x64 dll package and extracted the headtracker folder (with contents) into the game's "bin" directory.

[​IMG]
    5. Next, start the FaceTrackNoIR program, and load the DCS_A10C.ini file (its in the headtracker folder you placed in the bin directory).
    6. Then select "faceAPI" under "Tracker Source" and select "Freetrack" under "Game protocol".
    7. Now press the "Start" button under the faceAPI option...your webcam image should be displayed on the left side and within a few seconds it should detect your face and highlight the tracked area in yellow as shown below.
    8. Next I spent a couple hours ALT-TAB'ing in and out of the game adjusting my curves until I found myself pretty happy with the following settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Make sure you have decent lighting illuminating your face...indirect lighting is best, I made a video of my current settings so you can see it in action.

2. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Nice! Does it work well? Looks a little slow to react judging by the movie, but I've never seen TrackIR so maybe this is as good as anything.

3. miahallen

miahallen Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

There is a very slight delay, but I think its usable. I'm still learning to play the game, so I have not formed a solid opinion yet. But the game is a true simulator, and ever switch and dial in the cockpit is functional, so being able to look around to find the controls you need is helpful. However, if I can get my HOTAS controls setup correctly, that may be a moot point. For now, I'm really enjoying it.

Once I start dog fighting (which won't be a huge focus in this game), I can see some major benefits, like being able to spot enemies on my flanks, or above me), and some major problems (like targeting objects directly in front of me with the mini gun.

Overall rating is still TBD in my book.