bit-tech.net

Old 23rd Sep 2011, 12:30   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Star Ruler Review

Is Star Ruler a brilliant new 4X game, or just a baffling space strategy? We decide.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...ruler-review/1
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 12:53   #2
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Looks interesting, and at that price point I think I may have to try it! Nice review, also I don't think I ever would have seen this game if it weren't for this, thanks.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 13:08   #3
AstralWanderer
Banned

AstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting to see this get a review - though a game this complex really should merit more than one page. It's also important to get the latest updates since they do improve the tutorial somewhat, though it still doesn't provide enough information on key areas like ship design.

I would disagree with Homeworld (RTS) or the X series (more RPG) being classified as 4X-style games - Civilization (and offshoots like Alpha Centauri) is the classic 4X example and there aren't really many of that calibre. Space empire-building games are rarer still with the only moderately-recent examples coming to mind being the super-simple Galactic Civilizations II and super-complex Space Empires V.

Star Ruler is DRM-free if purchased directly from Blind Mind - a point well worth noting.
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 13:35   #4
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A one page review says a lot more to me than the 70% as clearly there is not a lot about this game worth writing about.

You say a few 4x titles like Homeworld and the X series, but should that not have been referred to as a "couple"?

Aside from the games already mentioned, sins of a solar empire also springs to mind...
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 14:20   #5
wiggles
Multimodder

wiggles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No mention of the diabolical diplomacy or has that been fixed now?

Brought this but couldn't get into it.
wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 16:50   #6
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I still play Freelancer, using the Discovery 4.85 mod though.
4.86 won't be long, and it allows a LOT more fun
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 20:48   #7
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
meh
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 21:15   #8
numanoid
Mod Master

numanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for president
ELETE all over again lol
Old 24th Sep 2011, 05:03   #9
spectre456
Ultramodder

spectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelspectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelspectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelspectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelspectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This game is a real bitch to get into. That sucks because it looks very deep.
mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P Cpu: AMD Phenom 2 X4 945 @ 3.00ghz Gpu: EVGA GTS 450 RAM: OCZ Reapers DDR2 4GB storage: Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb 7200rpm 32Mb cache Case: NZXT Apollo black OS: Windows 7 ultimate x64 keyboard: MS KB mouse: Cooler Master Storm Inferno mousemat: OCZ mouse mat headset: Creative SoundBlaster Arena headset speakers: None
spectre456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2011, 11:56   #10
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by numanoid
ELETE all over again lol
There is a "remake" of elite that has been done. Oolite I think, free too

You should be able to find info on wikipedia.
Old 25th Sep 2011, 02:17   #11
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The depth in this game is incredible... I just played for 4 hours straight and am still going to be playing through the night
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2011, 03:16   #12
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
BT should refrain from giving reviews any sort of rating. Since I think you guys are not going to stop reviewing software, how about just not giving a rating. The reviews of the last 18-24 months have been all over the map, and the ratings seem random.

Thanks for reviewing this game, it is one of the better ones out there and it is practically free.

Yours in Complex 3d Galactic Conquest Plasma,
Star*Dagger

P.S. Yes I am playing this in multiplayer and annihilating foolish humans. No, I am not doing it under my famous Star*Dagger name.
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2011, 17:54   #13
Roskoken
Multimodder

Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Its worth a play if you like space strategy, the AI good do with a bit of work, issuing orders is a bit of a nightmare, but they seemed to have lifted the UI from Eve which is nice.
Roskoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 09:57   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
BT should refrain from giving reviews any sort of rating. Since I think you guys are not going to stop reviewing software, how about just not giving a rating. The reviews of the last 18-24 months have been all over the map, and the ratings seem random.

Thanks for reviewing this game, it is one of the better ones out there and it is practically free.

Yours in Complex 3d Galactic Conquest Plasma,
Star*Dagger

P.S. Yes I am playing this in multiplayer and annihilating foolish humans. No, I am not doing it under my famous Star*Dagger name.
I'd like to drop scores too and have raised the idea many times, but it's unfortunately just not very realistic.

I realise our scores can seem out of sync with other sites given our opinions (Site X says a game is amazing and gives it 10/10, we say a game is amazing and give it 85/100) but that's because we've taken strong measures over the last years to bring our scoring in line with reality. Simply, while some sites score on a 7-10 basis, we use the whole scale. For us 50 per cent is the average, not 70 per cent, and 70 per cent is a score that you should be proud of - like in an exam.

It's something we have to keep reminding readers, especially since we were added to metacritic and all our scores and averages since a certain time can be easily seen and compared, but it's an effort we think is very much taking.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 11:08   #15
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
I'd like to drop scores too and have raised the idea many times, but it's unfortunately just not very realistic.

I realise our scores can seem out of sync with other sites given our opinions (Site X says a game is amazing and gives it 10/10, we say a game is amazing and give it 85/100) but that's because we've taken strong measures over the last years to bring our scoring in line with reality. Simply, while some sites score on a 7-10 basis, we use the whole scale. For us 50 per cent is the average, not 70 per cent, and 70 per cent is a score that you should be proud of - like in an exam.

It's something we have to keep reminding readers, especially since we were added to metacritic and all our scores and averages since a certain time can be easily seen and compared, but it's an effort we think is very much taking.
And an excellent idea it is too. I do like how you/bit gamer review honestly. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't come across as marking it down to seem like you're trying to be some kind of Charlie Brooker of the gaming world. The criticism and low scores are always justified.

Reminds me of Amiga Power in that respect <3 Although I've never seen you give 1% yet