bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Oct 2011, 11:58   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Google opens first retail store in London

Google store opens in London to sell Chrome OS laptops.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2011/10...re-in-london/1
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:01   #2
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Dixons group? Really? I sense great fail in this endeavour.
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:05   #3
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Dixons group? Really? I sense great fail in this endeavour.
Who else could they partner with?
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:06   #4
Phalanx

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centy-face View Post
Who else could they partner with?
No one?
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:18   #5
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
They could open the equivalent of the 'Apple Store' self branded but it would cost them a lot more to get it off the ground. By partnering with Dixons they get out of a lot of the admin and can get products out there faster.

I for one would be interested in trying one but unfortunately I moved to Denmark... :P

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:21   #6
Phalanx

It's just opinion I guess. I wouldn't walk into a Dixons (of any type, ie. PC World, etc) if you paid me!
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:23   #7
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
A Google branded store would undoubtedly draw quite a bit of attention, but as they're only pimping one product, doing so might be a bit overzealous?
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:31   #8
mighty_pirate
Multimodder

mighty_pirate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
It's just opinion I guess. I wouldn't walk into a Dixons (of any type, ie. PC World, etc) if you paid me!
Why?
I know they suck on a number of fronts, but their prices are occassionally pretty good. I've known them to better than both Amazon & Ebuyer on occassion.
mighty_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 13:13   #9
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_pirate
Quote:
Why?
I know they suck on a number of fronts, but their prices are occassionally pretty good. I've known them to better than both Amazon & Ebuyer on occassion.
I echo this - whilst so-called 'computer enthusiasts' generally wouldn't shop at these outlets, PC Worlds are suaully pretty full on busy shopping days, so plenty of people use them. Makes sense to me to position your products in a key area of a leading retail outlet for PCs?

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 13:40   #10
justicefornone
Minimodder

justicefornone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love walking around them chuckling at the specs of the PCs and prices of said naff PCs. It's great fun, although usually end up chatting to some people who are after PCs and are confused. That is also rather fun mind... Maybe I should get a job there!
justicefornone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 14:10   #11
improprietary
FT03 is a bitch to watercool

improprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
They could open the equivalent of the 'Apple Store' self branded but it would cost them a lot more to get it off the ground. By partnering with Dixons they get out of a lot of the admin and can get products out there faster.

I for one would be interested in trying one but unfortunately I moved to Denmark... :P
Get out of there while you can! The national beer is basically watered down piss with fizz!

#offtopic
improprietary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 14:12   #12
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
ChromeOS has written fail all over it imho, just as much as all other cloud-products.

Noones able to guarantee 110% safety of my data in the cloud and as legal systems heavily differ between US and EU I don't see the cloud to be of any use at all for international companies aswell. See "Patriot Act" in that regard.

Aditionally. A device that doesn't work while offline is total bollocks and aslong as most people don't have access to unlimited mobile broadband-plans for a fixed and rather low price these "online only" devices won't take off in the consumer-market.

So yeah. They can sure install shops for their ChromeOS-gimmicks, but anyone with a small amount of brain-capacity left can only laugh about this.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 14:38   #13
Cogwulf
Minimodder

Cogwulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The biggest problem with chromebooks that I can see is that for basically the same base hardware, they cost about 100 more than a windows netbook. And also, the fact that they use tiny SSDs and that chrome OS has lower power usage than windows means that they're using much cheaper batteries to get the same battery life.

Basically, if I had the option to buy a normal netbook and install chrome OS on it, I would seriously consider it, but current options are extortionate.
Cogwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 14:58   #14
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by improprietary
Get out of there [Denmark] while you can! The national beer is basically watered down piss with fizz!
I assume you're talking about Carlsberg? Have you ever actually tasted it in Denmark? It tastes like a completely different drink over there - Quality Control definitely holds back the good stuff for themselves...

As for Google partnering with Dixons, as Centy-face said: Who else? They're by far the largest and most prominent electronics retailer in the country. Certain people may look on them with snobbery, but the footfall and attention Google will get out of this would probably eclipse every other option they had combined.

Not everyone analyses and agonizes over their gadget purchases - most people just buy stuff in the same way as they'd buy a bar of chocolate: Decide they want something, wander into a shop & have a look around, then choose something off the shelf.
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 15:44   #15
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
ChromeOS has written fail all over it imho, just as much as all other cloud-products.
Yeah cloud products are just full of fail, just look at the mess apple is in because of it. And can anyone remember Gmail? Ha I bet those google engineers got so fired for dreaming up that lemon!

It's proper software and physical media all the way for me. Cloud... Shmoud

You'd never catch me buying an app or some music from the cloud, not when I can walk into a shop to do the same.

...Or updating my computer, not when I can get DVDs sent to me in the post.

... Or seamlessly transferring files between all my devices. Sneaker-net rocks!

... Or catching up on last night's TV online or watching some tit on a skateboard face planet down some steps. I've got my trusty Betamax full of re-runs of You've been framed. Who needs iPlayer and 4OD and that unpopular jumped up "U Toob" or whatever it's called.

Oh hold on... Flipped out there for a moment, I really don't know what happened... what did I just say? Oh yeah...

The cloud is here - long live the cloud.

(But be sure to keep a local backup)
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 18:17   #16
bigkingfun
Tinkering addict

bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by improprietary View Post
Get out of there while you can! The national beer is basically watered down piss with fizz!

#offtopic
It most certainly is not!
Give me your adress and I shall send a bottle of Carlsberg and/or Tuborg.
bigkingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 20:15   #17
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Yeah cloud products are just full of fail, just look at the mess apple is in because of it. And can anyone remember Gmail? Ha I bet those google engineers got so fired for dreaming up that lemon!

It's proper software and physical media all the way for me. Cloud... Shmoud

You'd never catch me buying an app or some music from the cloud, not when I can walk into a shop to do the same.

...Or updating my computer, not when I can get DVDs sent to me in the post.

... Or seamlessly transferring files between all my devices. Sneaker-net rocks!

... Or catching up on last night's TV online or watching some tit on a skateboard face planet down some steps. I've got my trusty Betamax full of re-runs of You've been framed. Who needs iPlayer and 4OD and that unpopular jumped up "U Toob" or whatever it's called.

Oh hold on... Flipped out there for a moment, I really don't know what happened... what did I just say? Oh yeah...

The cloud is here - long live the cloud.

(But be sure to keep a local backup)
You fail to understand, that ChromeOS can only be used within the cloud and not as an offline-system. You simply can't do anything with your ChromeOS-device while not connected to the internet, as you can't even install software on your device. All software is just unlocked/rented and then used through the browser as a cloud-service.

This is something totally different to the examples given by you.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 21:32   #18
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
You fail to understand, that ChromeOS can only be used within the cloud and not as an offline-system. You simply can't do anything with your ChromeOS-device while not connected to the internet, as you can't even install software on your device. All software is just unlocked/rented and then used through the browser as a cloud-service.

This is something totally different to the examples given by you.
You beat me to it.

Yes, there is a massive difference between cloud integration and cloud dependent computing.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 22:15   #19
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Maybe I just have strange taste, but those chairs look mighty uncomfortable. No back to lean into, no arm rests to for support while typing.
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 23:22   #20
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I was in PC World/Currys the other day so I could see the size of a home cinema soundbar I was ordering elsewhere online. Anyway, they already have an "Apple" store inside, looked quite flashy too.

Still wouldn't buy from there but you can't deny that many do.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote