bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 4th Oct 2011, 17:43   #1
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
"BATTLEFIELD 3" PC Case Mod..... VIDEO Posted Today!

This Case Mod was done by bit-tech's MOTM Sponser, Mnpctech!

Customize your PC or window with custom Stickers from Mnpctech HERE

Fractal-Design's Video of my recent Battlefield 3 Case Mod for Fractal-Design NA... "Arm your Rattle Cans for Camouflage Action!"

Here is the "BF3" theme case mod in anticipation of Battlefield 3: BF3 release on 10.25.2011 by Electronic Arts. Fractal Design's Arc Mid tower case was chosen for the project.

Investigative review of Fractal Design new "Arc" Midi Tower Case.

ThinkComputers.org dropped by my booth at CES to check out BF3

DazMode dropped by my booth at 2012 CES to check out the "BF3" PC for Fractal-Design

Fractal design Arc Mid tower fully dismantled for custom paint.

Here are the final photos from the photo session this week. The PC will be at Fractal-Design's booth at 2012 CES.

I chose PATRIOT MEMORY for our system memory and solid state storage!

Patriot Memory WILDFIRE

Patriot Memory Division 2, VIPER EXTREME, DDR3

The name badge in the bezel was filled with Evercoat's Everglass" Fiberglass "short hair" filler.

After sanding the filler with Medium Grit sandpaper..

Scuffing surface of steel chassis parts, plastic bezel with Red Scothbrite Pad, to create paint adhesion for the Primer.

Dissected and Magnified each segment from camouflage pattern on 8.5" x 11" paper. Each segment was traced and cut in cardboard for individual stencils.

RUSTOLEUM Specialty series "camouflage" paints. I purchased these from Home Depot

Camouflage paint job is finished.

Camouflaged motherboard tray? Yes, the entire interior was painted.

For a rugged military look, we chose these recessed PC case handles, http://www.mnpctech.com/BlackRecessedHandle.html

The recessed PC handles are ready for installation and spring loaded, so they don't flop while transporting your PC.

Using stencil included with handles along with measuring square to determine exact location for the recessed PC handles

Using 1.5" Dremel reinforced cutting wheel to cut opening for recessed PC handles

Using 1/4" drill bit for mounting holes of the recessed handles.

Cutting 3/16" thick aluminum Diamond Plate to use as accent plates for the handles.

Khaki base coat applied to the Diamond Plate accent plates.

Recessed PC handles and diamond plate installed and painted.

Airbrushed effect of side panel being peeled back by <a Mnpctech custom painter, Brad Galvin.

Brad's weapon of choice, Iwata's HP-CH airbrush gun.

Glowing effect airbrushed on the BF3 Marine.

Black outline airbrushed on BF3 Marine. A flat clear will be applied over the finished mural.

with Brad's guidance, I airbrushed the bullet holes and scratched paint effects on the access panel. I started with the easy task of filling the BF3 stencil on the left side panel.

To create bullet holes in the cast acrylic PC window sheet, using #9901 Dremel Attachment Tungsten Carbide Cutter for Engraving

Using Dremel to create bullet holes...

The illusion of bullet holes, created in the custom paint and made in the cast acrylic PC window sheet

Just a few more details to take care of, then we can install the system!

Updated 10/16/11

Thanks! More detailing ahead..

I'm adding lil weathering beneath rack handles

rack handles for bezel, give it more "field equipment" look

I torn-up scotch-brite pads are great for adding blotchy or speckled paint effect..

After I airbrushed over the Orange paint areas.... I also shaded over the "BF3" text...

Ok, now it's Break time, Who is open at 11pm? hmm White Castle SLIDERS!

and check out Mnpctech's new fan grill for 200mm / 230mm cooling fans, http://www.mnpctech.com/200mm_230mm_fan_grill.html

We need more Billet Bullet Thumbscrews! these will be lodged in the window holes...

Painting the machined aluminum bullet thumbscrews to look more authentic.

I also plan to sleeve the Power Supply Cables with one of these custom white PSU cable sleeve kits

[url=http://www.mnpctech.com/ATX_Molex_Removal_Tools.html]24 Pin ATX Power Supply Removal & Molex Pin Extractor Tools when custom sleeving your Power Supply and Molex connectors.

I'm using these Fan vibration rubber grommets to mount the fan

I use a Micro Flat head screw driver to install the Fan vibration rubber grommets.

Give the fan hole a professional look by installing

U-channel rubber trim

The U-channel molding will cover any mistakes or scratches made while cutting the fan hole.

#10-5/8 Black cooling fan screws

[/CENTER]

Last edited by mnpctech; 21st Mar 2013 at 11:58.
mnpctech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 17:45   #2
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Looks tits

Now make me one
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 17:49   #3
TheLegendJoe
Syntax error

TheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very snazzy :P Can't wait to see it running BF3 too haha
| 965BE@3.8Ghz | 12GB G.Skill RAM@ 1,700Mhz | XFX 5850 900/1200Mhz | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | Corsair tx850Watt | Soundblaster 1000watt RMS custom 5.1 system | DS411j 4x3TB* RAID 5 @9TB NAS |1080p40" + 23" 720p |
TheLegendJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 17:53   #4
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Awesome! I like these kind of mods!
Old 4th Oct 2011, 18:49   #5
Moddingboy
Multimodder

Moddingboy has yet to learn the way of the DremelModdingboy has yet to learn the way of the DremelModdingboy has yet to learn the way of the DremelModdingboy has yet to learn the way of the DremelModdingboy has yet to learn the way of the DremelModdingboy has yet to learn the way of the DremelModdingboy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks good!
Moddingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 19:07   #6
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Brilliant job!
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 19:40   #7
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
But will it play Crysis? Bah..

Very nice! I really envy the art of airbrushing! I couldn't draw anything if my life depended on it!

Btw. When you paint letters, like the "BF3" - Do you just use normal paper/cardboard and cut it? Or do you use something selfadhesive?
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 21:02   #8
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
But will it play Crysis? Bah..

Very nice! I really envy the art of airbrushing! I couldn't draw anything if my life depended on it!

Btw. When you paint letters, like the "BF3" - Do you just use normal paper/cardboard and cut it? Or do you use something selfadhesive?
You def have the creative skills dude! Like anything else, it just takes practice. Get yrself and Airbrush, Iwata's HP-CH airbrush gun is nice..and just play around with it. It's also great for small paint touch-ups, especially for adding tiny details, like the weathered effect on the crevices of the case. Once I got the used to modulating the pressure, it became 2nd nature. You have to remember, that Brad was an illustrator before he started painting, so he can do decent freehand artwork. Altho a great deal of Professional airbrush artists use their own custom made stencils, made on a plotter or professional commercial stencils, not because they can't illustrate, but because it saves time, and time is money... Brad uses them as well, depending on the job.

Yeah, it's vinyl masking made with 24" Roland Vinyl Film Plotter.

Old 4th Oct 2011, 21:12   #9
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thats wicked, looks like it should be mounted inside a tank It's got a proper tough bomb proof look about it. I like the way you've done the bullet holes as well...Top modding yet again Bill..

One thing I don't understand. In the 2nd pic down you've stuck the entire case and some more bits to the wall...Why??....lol
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 21:29   #10
keir
S p i t F i r e

keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
very nice man
keir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 22:22   #11
RedManc
Supermodder

RedManc has yet to learn the way of the DremelRedManc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if your not lucky enough to have 24" Roland Vinyl Film Plotter laying around

there is a semi-perm spray adhesive you can pick up at most art shops around the world ... don't quote me on this but its often used to throw up a stencil and remove soon after
Old 5th Oct 2011, 12:31   #12
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

@bulldogjeff, it does look that way...haha

@keir, Thank you for the post!

@RedManc, good tip! thank you! I actually planned to do digi-camo, but I've had a lot of people ask me about doing a video on using those spray bombs in a guide, so the diy guide morphed into this build.
Old 5th Oct 2011, 12:41   #13
flame696
Terminating People Since 1980....

flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.
That's awesome work...! Mannnn I wish I could do something like that. Any chance you selling the case or giving it away???
flame696 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2011, 12:44   #14
MiT
Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

MiT has yet to learn the way of the DremelMiT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the art work and the bullet holes the most!
i5 750 // 4GB DDR3 666MHz (7-7-7-19) // Gigabyte P55M-UD4 // Titan Fenrir // Saphire Toxic ATI Radeon HD 5850 // 1.7 TB HDD // Corsair HX 520 // Fractal R2 // Mionix Naos 5000 // Logitech G110 // Razer Goliathus // Logitech 5.1 surround // Turtle Beech X41 // Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD // Win7 Home 64bit
MiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2011, 14:04   #15
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow this looks great, but I think the BF3 Marking/logo could do with some weathering, it looks to neat and clean compared to the rest of the case.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2011, 14:26   #16
RedManc
Supermodder

RedManc has yet to learn the way of the DremelRedManc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
im looking forward to the military class hardware
also you must paint the PSU if it is not already done
Old 5th Oct 2011, 21:15   #17
Blackwolf41
What's a Dremel?

Blackwolf41 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really Nice Case ! Love the Window Mod,can I ask how the Acrylic Window and that Bracket were installed on the side Panel. I think this is the First time I have seen this and I would Like to learn more about it, Thank You for youre time. Another Great Build

Last edited by Blackwolf41; 6th Oct 2011 at 06:37.
Blackwolf41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2011, 11:59   #18
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
Very nicely done!
Pfaffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2011, 13:10   #19
Tokari
Multimodder

Tokari has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very, very nice work and a lot of attention to detail.
Old 6th Oct 2011, 15:13   #20
bruce_rob
Supermodder

bruce_rob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice work
bruce_rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battlefield 3 pc, bf3, bf3 case mod, camo case mod

View Mode