bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:03   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony: Market not ready for download-only consoles

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...oad-only-con/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:11   #2
gilljoy
I *am* a Dremel

gilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for president
Steam seems to work grand for me, still quicker downloading a game of steam than waiting for it to be posted to me
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:13   #3
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have to agree... I have 2 places, one I have 12mb access, the other is <1mb access... I usually download my steam games and install them on the <1mb house. Or I'm doomed...

Maybe in 5-10 years, and with more gb/inc we can have donwload only games, and better broadband. (that is if they are there forever, not like that THQ store thingy)
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:13   #4
TheLegendJoe
Syntax error

TheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From what I find/found sony are not ready for D/L only consoles, on a 50Mb connection (I actually get these speeds too) the PSN simply cannot keep up (either that or the PS3 has a ridiculously slow netowk interface) even over a 300Mb/s Wifi network/1Gb LAN : | it used to take me hours to download demos...
| 965BE@3.8Ghz | 12GB G.Skill RAM@ 1,700Mhz | XFX 5850 900/1200Mhz | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | Corsair tx850Watt | Soundblaster 1000watt RMS custom 5.1 system | DS411j 4x3TB* RAID 5 @9TB NAS |1080p40" + 23" 720p |
TheLegendJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:17   #5
Teh Noob Slayer
Minimodder

Teh Noob Slayer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Of course Sony believes we aren't ready for 'online download only'. Their consumers also think they [Sony] aren't ready for online download only.

*cough Playstation Network data breach fiasco * cough
Teh Noob Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:19   #6
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
PSN works great for me, maxes out my connection when wired, you must have dodgy ISP or router, no problems instantly watching films, very quick games downloads.

I still wouldn't want to download everything, what with films,tv, photos and family movies on the PS3 disc space is a bit limited. Vita will have a worse position as you are not going to fit 500Gb drive to it, so it can't really go download only.

Wireless on PS3 is pants though, very slow to download, same issue download via wireless on PSP, awfully slow.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:19   #7
Marvin-HHGTTG
Marvin. I don't care what ^ says...

Marvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Fair play to them, it's reasonable enough. Did like this part though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuhei Yoshida, Article
Also, some consumers like shopping in retail stores, talking to knowledgeable store clerks, buying and playing games on the spot. We do not want to remove that capability from consumers.
I can't remember the last time I spoke to an in store game-related staff member who knew anything more than when the next COD was due for release, and how "awesome" it would be.
Marvin-HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:25   #8
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
"talking to knowledgeable store clerks"

not talking about the UK market then.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:37   #9
hrp8600
Modder

hrp8600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The market will never be ready for download-only consoles.
Reason secondhand sales.
Download only = no seconhand market
hrp8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:39   #10
the-beast
Modder

the-beast has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilljoy
Steam seems to work grand for me, still quicker downloading a game of steam than waiting for it to be posted to me
For me its quicker to wait for the postie than for Steam to crawl along on my pants connection!
the-beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:40   #11
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I only prefer physical copies because I can get them used and sell them on. Haven't bought a single new game for my ps3 yet
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:41   #12
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
We will never be ready for download only, simply because of the restriction's being put in place on actually using your broadband connection for what it is intended for.

If I was to download my whole collection of games, on a 20mb cable modem from Virgin it would take me nearly a week to download it, and if I was to download it on my 100mb modem from Virgin while I could do it in 1 day, I would have to start it at 6am and leave it running until it finished I would suddenly recieve a letter for downloading to much during peak times.

I personally prefer to buy my games on a disc, because it's faster for me simply because I just go to a shop on my way to work or on the release day, if I am not working and come back home and install it whereas if I was to buy it from Steam, on release day it would take a few hour's to download and install because of the overloaded servers.

Maybe when companies update there server's and also the whole backbone of the internet is fixed in each country and each, area has access to high speed internet then yes we could go down the route of download only but I think we are about 5 or 10 years away from that yet.
damien c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:48   #13
TheLegendJoe
Syntax error

TheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c

If I was to download my whole collection of games, on a 20mb cable modem from Virgin it would take me nearly a week to download it, and if I was to download it on my 100mb modem from Virgin while I could do it in 1 day, I would have to start it at 6am and leave it running until it finished I would suddenly recieve a letter for downloading to much during peak times..
I did that on the first day I got my 50Mb Conection...

lololololol

Politely asking me to not download .5TB of data in a week? Shameee
| 965BE@3.8Ghz | 12GB G.Skill RAM@ 1,700Mhz | XFX 5850 900/1200Mhz | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | Corsair tx850Watt | Soundblaster 1000watt RMS custom 5.1 system | DS411j 4x3TB* RAID 5 @9TB NAS |1080p40" + 23" 720p |
TheLegendJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 14:02   #14
Anneon
Multimodder

Anneon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Agreed to many slow spots yet. One of the biggest challenges facing hardware/software companies over the next 5 years is 10mb connections for ALL no matter where you aRe.
Anneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 14:58   #15
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Steam works for PC due to game stores freezing out PC games by not stocking them as well as over charging for them.
I agree that mobile consoles aren't ready for them due to data on the go but tbh the excuse about visiting the store and trying games....that's BS. Need I rant again about those monkeys? Or the fact that its one game they're pushing like lego this or fifa that....all they have to do is produce a demo for download and offer free wifi in game stores. Would be the only place that actually would offer something like that since coffee shops locked down.
Consoles have no excuse tho. Let valve design the market place and Make it central to how the console works. Xbox market place isn't too bad but PSN is a joke.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 15:18   #16
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well they're spot on.

Problems are UK broadband infrastructure is appalling. The absolute residential best is a 100Mbit throttled cable connection. Current max 2.5" hard drive size of 2Tb is also far too low to accommodate a decent library of games, so it'll be blu-ray for the full next generation of consoles at least!

TSB

Last edited by TheStockBroker; 7th Oct 2011 at 16:22. Reason: Edited to clarify
TheStockBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 15:46   #17
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sell via a re-usable usb stick where people can download in stores....
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 15:46   #18
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
" The absolute private sector best is a 100Mbit "

lol you're kidding ?
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 15:51   #19
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot
" The absolute private sector best is a 100Mbit "

lol you're kidding ?
Well, no!

The best I've ever had reliably was a 50Mb Virgin connection. Pulling a full HD 3D film from a remote FTP server took just over an hour at max connection speed. Even at double the speed it would take a half hour, longer than it takes to cook dinner!

Ideally, I'd like to be able to start a film transfer; put dinner on, and then sit down to dinner with my film in perfect harmony!

Given that current PS3 games are larger that the above, would you really want to sit and wait hours for your game to download? Then again, I suppose I've done that with numerous WoW re-installs.

Can you honestly tell me you wouldn't want gigabit broadband if it was cheap and the norm?

My point was though, was that it really is the very best we can get, and not at an inconsiderable cost! From previous statements I've made regarding internet in the UK, I've gleaned that even the really tech-orientated of this forum are sometimes quite simply unable to even get decent DSL speeds at home, but still pay the same as what a city-dweller would for a high-end cable broadband package.

TSB

EDIT: I suppose if they allowed pre-loading like Valve does... Then why the hell not?

Last edited by TheStockBroker; 7th Oct 2011 at 16:08.
TheStockBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2011, 15:54   #20
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
...Knowledgeable store clerks?

Few and far between.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is online now   Reply With Quote