bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:08   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Gabe Newell: Apple will redefine games consoles

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-games-conso/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:12   #2
Burhoom
What's a Dremel?

Burhoom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
An open platform?

Isn't that called a PC...
Burhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:14   #3
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Gabe, shut up and make Ep3 or HL3. Until then, your words are worthless.
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:14   #4
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I think he's right. I really wish valve would double down and get steam on a phone os as well. Preferably Android. Using steam cloud for saves would mean I could jump between platforms easily for certain types of games. The xperia play (hopefully series) should make even more games playable on a phone.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:15   #5
M_D_K
Kiteninja

M_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burhoom
An open platform?

Isn't that called a PC...
I wouldn't class a PC as an open platform because they are all different, more like and xbox for instance without microsfot attached it would a be a platform that anyone can program games for without having to worry about hardware conflicts etc...
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:23   #6
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
+1
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:42   #7
Cadair
Minimodder

Cadair has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Well said!
Cadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:54   #8
thil
Multimodder

thil has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
PIPPIN MK II!
thil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:58   #9
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
He doesn't actually say it will be a console, just applying the console model So It could be a closed system that allows multiple functions such as video playback, some gaming, some web browsing etc...

Sounds like an iPad to me.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 12:11   #10
loftie
Ultramodder

loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd rather Apple sort the sh*t out they already have before making a console. Trying to watch the Avengers trailer on Apple's website was like sticking pins in my eyes, before I found it on Youtube. Seriously, why is QT/safari such a pile of crap?

And as someone made reference to, the Pippin, was such a HUGE success.....
Old 12th Oct 2011, 12:41   #11
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd say that pre jobs that might have been a possibility but post jobs they are far less likely to take risks in new markets.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 13:08   #12
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Valve founder Gabe Newell reckons Apple will move to redefine the games console market."

It damn welll needs someone to do so.

M$ and Sony are quite content to continue perveying 6/7 year old tech for the next 3/4 years. That castrates game developement for the PC. And given just your average rig is already atleast 5 years ahead of consoles in terms of the capabilities of both the cpu and the gpu that is only going to get so much worse.

If it takes the marketeers of the teacher's favourite fruit to do so ...then so be it.
Antec 902, Asus P6T se, i7-920 D0 oc@3.6ghz, Asaka Nero S, 6gb Corsair, Thermaltake 750w Evo Blue, XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro, Asus Xonar DS, BFG Ageia PhysX, 2x 500gb Seagate HDD, Win7 hp, NEC ea231wmi, MS X4, Cordless Mouseman optical(deceased)..now a Roccat Kova+
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 13:09   #13
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So an Apple TV3 where you use iphone/ipad as a controller?
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 13:53   #14
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
hehe, Gabe's been smoking again.

Where the hell is Hl3
Old 12th Oct 2011, 14:00   #15
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Apple & Open platform, isn't that an oxymoron?
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 14:04   #16
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
I'd say that pre jobs that might have been a possibility but post jobs they are far less likely to take risks in new markets.
my thoughts exactly. it's really a shame.

but then, who knows, Apple might be looking to make a splash with Apple TV 3.

to those who are putting Apple and Open in one sentence. read the original article more closely.
Old 12th Oct 2011, 14:18   #17
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie View Post
Seriously, why is QT/safari such a pile of crap?
Because QT/Safari on windows doesn't make Apple any money.

Why is everyone jumping in and saying that post-Jobs apple won't take any risks? Let's be clear on this - Apple have made NO major new announcements since Jobs' death. It's been less than a week since he died. Let's wait and see what Apple actually do before we all shout doom and gloom, eh?
Old 12th Oct 2011, 14:31   #18
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Ahhh a little apple box under your tv. Oh wait that exists, its called apple tv......It worked sooo well, let's rebrand it apple iPSbox
/sarcasm
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 14:32   #19
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikumba
So an Apple TV3 where you use iphone/ipad as a controller?
Agreed. There's a video floating around of a car game being played on iphones and ipads that then displayed onto a tv (I can't link to the video from work). With stuff like that I think they could really hurt Nintendo in the more casual space. It would be some time (I suspect) until they could challenge Microsoft or Sony's consoles for their audience.

If they just released an official controller for the Iphone/pods I think they would seriously hurt 3DS and Vita sales. Although the Icontrolpad is gaining more supports every day so maybe they won't have to.

Android TV has the similar potential but no one markets like Apple... unfortunately.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2011, 15:35   #20
Raijin
What's a Dremel?

Raijin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If an apple console runs on the Apple OS as it is now then there is no way in hell I'm using it, my ipod tends to crash at least once a day due to safari being a piece of ****.
Raijin is offline   Reply With Quote