bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Oct 2011, 15:41   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
First ultrabook on sale

Asus launches the first Intel ultrabook in New York is this the future of portable computing?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...book-on-sale/1
Old 14th Oct 2011, 15:50   #2
mongpong
Modder

mongpong has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It certainly looks the business. Always liked ASUS's styling.
mongpong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 15:59   #3
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wouldn't buy an ultrabook, if it's not drastically cheaper then the MBA.

When using the same hardware, MacOS X is having the advantage over Win7 due to the OS and hardware being heavily optimized on Apple-devices and that easily covers the $100 expense on the Macbook Air.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 15:59   #4
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
A shiny shiny thing that anyone can use without restrictions and compatible with everything kinda makes things easy. I may seriously take a look at this.
Snips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 16:01   #5
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Can't agree with that jrs77. Try installing some of the most popular software used in any industry and more than likely, there isn't a Mac version.
Snips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 16:11   #6
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
Can't agree with that jrs77. Try installing some of the most popular software used in any industry and more than likely, there isn't a Mac version.
Did you last use a Mac 10 years ago? Almost everything I use has a Mac version. The only exception being Visual Studio and sql management studio, but its hardly surprising that MS don't release these for Mac being that they use and create the .net framework. Could always use MonoDevelop if you really wanted to .net on a mac.

The Asus is a very nice looking machine and I would seriously consider it if I was in the market for an Ultrabook, but I can't see the resale value being close to that of an MBA, which is always worth considering. Higher initial cost can be easily offset by resale value so the total cost of ownership can sometimes be lower.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 16:23   #7
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you want a MBA, buy one. If you need Windows on it, run a VM, or dual boot. If you want a copy of an MBA, then buy this, but it needs to be priced competitively for the PC MArket - It ISNT an MBA. Do people seriously think people will pay MBA prices for PC hardware, without the customer asurance levels that Apple Offer?

There's a place in the market for this, but it needs to be priced right, and pricing it around the MBA price just makes me think that the MBA is a better buy.
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 16:41   #8
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
^^ If you don't consider the hardware, then yes. Because storage at 64 (even 128) and RAM at 2GB is just too low.
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 16:51   #9
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I would love an ultra book like this or the MBA, IF it had the nipple mouse. Why oh why do manufacturers disregard this epic pointing device? It's more precise than a touchpad, takes up less space, is less likely to **** up, can be used with damp fingers and most of all it isn't brushed accidentally when writing.

Only Lenovo and HP hear my cries
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 17:03   #10
stotea
What's a Dremel?

stotea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Man, 11" screen... how do people use these things? I can barely tolerate my 15" laptop screen!
stotea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 17:10   #11
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wouldn't mind buying it, my T8300, HD Mobility 2600 is asking for a replacement. But before I'd buy this thing I would like to know the brand of the SSD, if it's Intel I'll buy, other brands... not so much...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 17:24   #12
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Most likely it'll be something from Samsung or Intel, since manufacturers prefer them for reliability reasons. You won't see any consumer computer maker putting a Sandforce-based drive in their products (yet).
Main: Silverstone FT03 | Asus P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz | CM 212+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon 7970 DD | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | CM Silent Pro Gold 600W | Samsung XL2270HD | KBT Race (brown switches) | Sidewinder X8 | Arch Linux + Windows 8.1
Server: Asus M3N78-AM | Athlon II X3 400e | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 4x 2TB Samsung F4EG (RAID-5) | LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 | Corsair CX400 | Arch Linux
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 17:30   #13
echeb
Multimodder

echeb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelecheb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelecheb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelecheb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That price better be just introductory, there's no way they are going to shift a half decent amount at $1k especially when the previously mentioned resale value is added in. Give me a price in , in 3 months down the line when there's competition from Dell, Lenovo and the like and I might reconsider but I'm predicting a flop numbers wise.

Shame because I think its quite a good idea.

Ps. I love it when my favourite hardware review site links to my favourite international tech news site.

Last edited by echeb; 14th Oct 2011 at 17:46. Reason: I am my own grammar nazi
echeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 17:48   #14
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc
Do people seriously think people will pay MBA prices for PC hardware, without the customer asurance levels that Apple Offer?
What customer assurance levels? The ones saying that it's going to be completely crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Did you last use a Mac 10 years ago? Almost everything I use has a Mac version.
Well, X Terminal (The Mac terminal just sucks - eventhough they baisicly just copied Linux they couldn't resist screwing it up) and (not that I'd recommened it on an ultrabook) baisicly every game in existance.
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 17:55   #15
The_EXorcist
Possibly Australian

The_EXorcist has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah...Mac...Value for money... dont think they ever did that.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 18:12   #16
echeb
Multimodder

echeb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelecheb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelecheb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelecheb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBuilderSven View Post
What customer assurance levels? The ones saying that it's going to be completely crap?

Well, X Terminal (The Mac terminal just sucks - eventhough they baisicly just copied Linux they couldn't resist screwing it up) and (not that I'd recommened it on an ultrabook) baisicly every game in existance.
Come on, they've got Steam so credit where credits due.

I hate apple as much as the next guy who'c currently downloading Ubuntu 11.10 X64 but do we have to have a flame war every time one of their products or services are mentioned?
echeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 19:38   #17
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Who gives a f*** about "on standby" how does it compare fully loaded? Personally windows appeals over the macbook simply for light gaming and tbh I was dreading the thought that alienware had the best gaming notebook outthere *shutter*
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 19:56   #18
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemerich View Post
^^ If you don't consider the hardware, then yes. Because storage at 64 (even 128) and RAM at 2GB is just too low.
This is a pretty major consideration, imo. I question whether having a more streamlined OS can overcome the performance advantages of these specs. I'd also like to point out that dual booting isn't an option on a stock 11" MBA as you're going to be hard pressed to fit two operating systems on a 64GB hard drive.

It'd probably be going too far to say the Zenbook is the "better" choice but it's safe to say that it's a good option for a lot of user's needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeb View Post
Come on, they've got Steam so credit where credits due.
Not entirely, they have SteamPlay which, at least for the time being, falls far short of the full Steam library. There's also some difference in the quality of OpenGL's rendering compared to DirectX. However, good luck doing much gaming on either machine in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman View Post
Who gives a f*** about "on standby" how does it compare fully loaded?
This part confused me as well. Who is actually going to leave their notebook in standby for longer than a week straight without simply plugging it into a charger or turning it off? What would really push my decision between the two is how the operating battery life compares to the specs. If the MBA can last for significantly longer like it does in standby it might gets some points back.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 20:46   #19
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the look, the shape and the size, I won't like the keyboard.
WHY is it so expensive though? Seriously!

All the time you hear of the so called Mac tax, and yet when the industry tries to beat Apple at their own game on an Apple original design, they can't beat them. Get with it people!

BTW, the Toshiba 13in looks a bit better spec-wise than this Asus model for the same or similar price.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-inch-z830.ars

Quote:
Originally Posted by stotea View Post
Man, 11" screen... how do people use these things? I can barely tolerate my 15" laptop screen!
Stop using a notebook as a desktop, especially ultra portables, where the focus is on.... Portability.
I carry a 13in with me to every jobsite, and I would prefer an 11 or 12 due to weight and size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
Did you last use a Mac 10 years ago? Almost everything
While I agree, it's not what it was 10 years ago, it's not what you claim either.

The real estate industry in the U.S. is almost entirely web based today, only only last year did they finally get anything other than Internet Exploder to work on it. It's not just that industry either, I work with several, and about half have Windows or I.E. specific items they need. It's not many, but it only takes one to throw a wrench in the works.

I also still regularly see printers with no actual Mac support, or they only work with very specific versions, you can often get them working, but it's a hack job. The last Mac brought in took me about an hour to finally get the office's laser printer to work on it. I also see a lot of Bluetooth adapters and wireless cards that have no Mac support either.

I like Mac, but you can't tell me they enjoy the same level of support, it's not even close. Close doesn't cut it when you have to tell the owner that their $20k printer or the website that they use day in, day out, won't work with their shiny new Mac.

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700

Last edited by leslie; 14th Oct 2011 at 20:51.
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2011, 22:16   #20
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
wow 2 posts to become a mac vs windows debate.

besides im waiting for this

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23993..._hands_on.html