bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Oct 2011, 14:06   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Rumour: Ivy Bridge to have 77W TDP

A few authentic-looking screenshots reveal details of Intelís next-generation Ivy Bridge processor

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...have-77w-tdp/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 14:07   #2
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow.
Old 18th Oct 2011, 14:15   #3
yassarikhan786
Ultramodder(Not)

yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
VG news .
|| Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 580 Super OC || Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB || SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB || HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v || Keyboard: Logitech G510 || Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
yassarikhan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 14:34   #4
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wish AMD could learn from Intel... my lovely SB's are going to be outpaced in such a short time

Sent from Bittech Android app
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 14:48   #5
bdigital
Is re-building his PC again

bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.
I hope my p67 sabertooth will be compatible, without any major disadvantage

Check out my Apline White TJ07 - Case Mod and Water cooled build. http://www.flickr.com/photos/6188486...7631486959032/
bdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 15:04   #6
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope my Z68 board supports them.
I love my 2500k to death but if something killer comes out its nice to know that I can upgrade.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 15:09   #7
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
For any Gene-Z owners out there, there is a BIOS update on the ROG site enabling Ivy Bridge compatibility.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 15:13   #8
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Just reading that and the words future proof and intel sockets do not belong in the same sentence.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 15:19   #9
Hakuren
Multimodder

Hakuren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff
Just reading that and the words future proof and intel sockets do not belong in the same sentence.
He, he, so very true.
Hakuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 15:23   #10
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdigital View Post
I hope my p67 sabertooth will be compatible, without any major disadvantage
Amen to that.

Only just bought mine and a 2500k and to be honest I'm more than happy with its performance, even at stock but if it was possible at a later date to drop an Ivy bridge chip straight in then that would be awesome.
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 15:47   #11
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelazazel1024 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
TDP != actual power consumption. Honestly I expect there to be higher turbo thresholds, maybe a revamped turbo design and some other "gimicks" to improve single thread performance. That said, I can't imagine that with a 77w TDP, if accurate, that there isn't going to be a fairly large increase in core saturated frequency. It'd be cool to see top part frequencies to hit or exceed 4Ghz, especially with a rumored/claimed increase of 4-8% in IPC through some minor architecture tweaks.

Power savings, a good whack of frequency increase, a slight IPC improvement and a much, much better GPU and this thing sounds like a screamer of a desktop chip and even better in a lot of ways as a laptop part!
Old 18th Oct 2011, 15:49   #12
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelazazel1024 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Revision on my above comment, the new TDP doesn't mean that the actual power savings will only be 19%, just that that is the new thermal cap on the chip, the actual power savings might be a lot larger than that, meaning lower frequency increases. Though I hope as a desktop part Intel is going to balance frequency and power savings and lean a bit more toward a frequency increase this time around.

Now the laptop parts, I'd take the minor IPC improvements, much better GPU and hold the line on frequencies or only a very slight bump in the name of saving a lot more power.
Old 18th Oct 2011, 16:17   #13
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The 19% decrease in TDP doesn't translate to a possible 23% increase of clockspeed as these two are not linear.

So a 5-10% increase in clockspeed, would be much more reasonable with the 19% decrease in TDP. That's still very good, as we would be talking about a base-frequency of 3.8GHz and a 4+GHz turbo.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 16:28   #14
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
I wish I could get an Ivy Bridge chip for my X58.
Can't really complain about the i7 920 though, still serving me well at 1.5v... somehow.

I've been planning to drop some cash on a Sandy Bridge laptop soon, but I'm wondering now if it'd better to wait for IB and hope for it to either neatly replace mobile SB or to cause a pricedrop on existing mobile SB systems.
Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old 18th Oct 2011, 16:29   #15
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Im holding out for Ivy Bridge before i upgrade, got alot of power to cram in a small space...If all the hype is correct these chips look tasty! Om nom nom!

I think people are right when they say the TDP is the maximum draw.
Means nothing is the chip is dog awefull at managing power when idling etc.
I guess the only way we will know is when benchmarks appear.

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 16:40   #16
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.
37 moar frequencies? where do I sign?
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 16:42   #17
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I doubt it will be "dog aweful" at managing power when idle.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 20:16   #18
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
For any Gene-Z owners out there, there is a BIOS update on the ROG site enabling Ivy Bridge compatibility.
Yes, that rocks. I just picked mine up to replace my "sub par" P67 UD4 board.
This board already overclocks more than the UD4 could and its in a much smaller package.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 20:32   #19
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Will there be a downside to using the older chipsets?

77W TDP for a flagship chip sounds awesome -- sound like loads of mileage on not a lot of vcore.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2011, 20:34   #20
Christopher N. Lew
Folding in memory of my father

Christopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for president
Well, that's a difficult-to-understand multi-coloured chart, but does it show an enthusiast K-series (unlocked) i7 CPU with "8-threads" ? Is this what we more normally call a core or is it just 4 cores with hyperthreading?
Christopher N. Lew is offline   Reply With Quote