bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Oct 2011, 08:02   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Payday: The Heist Review

Is Payday more than just Left 4 Dead in banks and, if not, is that enough?

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...heist-review/1
Old 25th Oct 2011, 10:27   #2
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Shame it looked quite interesting too, maybe still worth picking up in a sale with a massive discount slapped on it?
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 10:37   #3
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sorry to say it but S.W.A.T. is "Special Weapons and Tactics" not tactical

/grammar nazi
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 11:23   #4
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hm... glad I decided against pre-purchasing this - it looked like it was going to be good, too.
Old 25th Oct 2011, 11:26   #5
TheLink
Modder

TheLink has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's not perfect but I'm really enjoying this personally... and do not find 14.99 excessive.
TheLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 11:54   #6
The_EXorcist
Possibly Australian

The_EXorcist has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It has its flaws, but is extremely fun with your mates, been at it almost constantly since release. Its cheap to buy, and being that its the only title the developer has on sale, it has all its attention, more DLC has already been announced, and they are listening to their community on what needs changing or adding
Old 25th Oct 2011, 12:02   #7
mighty_pirate
Multimodder

mighty_pirate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm really enjoying it too. The AI is terrible, true enough & something I'd love to see patched or modded & the graphics options are non-existent, it'd be nice to be able to add some AA etc from in-game...
But the level design is excellent & the 4 player L4D style co-op is one that really appeals to me. £15 didn't seem too steep, but especially considering the 4 pack is £45, £11.25 seemed a fairly good price. And if I recall there was a 10% pre-order bonus. So £10(ish) was a bargain considering I've already gotten at least 10hrs out of it.
mighty_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 12:13   #8
baronvongogo
What's a Dremel?

baronvongogo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As mentioned before overkill are listening to the community and are very active in the steam forums. They sometime respond in real time. I think in with a few patches and DLC it will be an amazing game.

I am enjoying it so fa,r one of the hardest games I have played in a while as well. With this and dungeon defenders out it will keep me busy for a long time.
baronvongogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 12:16   #9
baronvongogo
What's a Dremel?

baronvongogo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvongogo
As mentioned before overkill are listening to the community and are very active in the steam forums. They sometime respond in real time. I think with a few patches and DLC it will be an amazing game.

I am enjoying it so fa,r one of the hardest games I have played in a while as well. With this and dungeon defenders out it will keep me busy for a long time.
baronvongogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 13:23   #10
jhng
Multimodder

jhng has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a shame that this sounds rather pedestrian -- the concept of a co-op heist sim sounds brilliant.

A potentially much more interesting game could be made by lining it up more closely with traditional heist movies in structure and feel. For example:

-Having separate phases for recon, planning and execution
-Having stealth and distraction mechanics
-At times sending players off on separate jobs that need to be synchronised (so you need to communicate effectively and watch your timing)

I see loads of potential: think DX:HR but co-op and with the high level planning and tactical elements of Frozen Synapse.
jhng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 13:48   #11
Havalynii
What's a Dremel?

Havalynii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If only could have been the modernized counterpart to S.W.A.T. 4 or Raven Shield. I like the concept. And why DON'T they just make a game based off of Heat?!
Havalynii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 15:12   #12
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_EXorcist
It has its flaws, but is extremely fun with your mates, been at it almost constantly since release. Its cheap to buy, and being that its the only title the developer has on sale, it has all its attention, more DLC has already been announced, and they are listening to their community on what needs changing or adding
Yep. This.

The game was cheap, it's a lot of fun. Myself and mates are really enjoying it. 50% would be right if the game was 35, but it wasn't...it was less than 15 quid and damn good value for the money....and some of the moments actually are quite exhilarating.

Major gripe - the poor AI. Probably won't get fixed over time but, then, is the AI in L4D any better?
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 16:38   #13
Narishma
Multimodder

Narishma has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Platform: PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Nope, not available on the Xbox, which makes sense since it's published by Sony.
Narishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 17:52   #14
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
A game like this could have been good but it always looked quite meh when I first checked it out & still does, happens a lot where game devs have an ok base idea for a game but don't pour enough awesomesauce into it to make it a huge classic, shame.

But if they are listening to the customers maybe at a later date it could be good & worth getting but won't get my hopes up at all, so I'll leave it until 2.0 comes along.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 19:07   #15
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the premise but not the killing of innocents and cops though I know that would appeal to some. Hope another dev picks this genre up but with non lethal options / stealth.
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 19:16   #16
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_iii
I like the premise but not the killing of innocents and cops though I know that would appeal to some. Hope another dev picks this genre up but with non lethal options / stealth.
LOLwut?

The game you describe already exists. It's called S.W.A.T. 4

O_o
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2011, 07:39   #17
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice, bit. Hard as this has been pushed on the Steam for a while now, looked like it was worth looking into. Since I'm here every day anyway, you saved my lazy ass from having to go seek out a review (Ars published a review yesterday, but their game reviews always kind of suck.)
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2011, 13:53   #18
Hovis
Supermodder

Hovis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Been quite a lot of fairly decent, polished looking, indie titles out lately. It's been a bit of a minefield finding the good ones though. I'm giving this one a miss, but I picked up Dungeon Defenders, which was a hoot for a tenner. I also got The Haunted, which was so bad I died a little inside. It's very hit and miss, but at least when the games are only a tenner, and most have decent co-op, it's not such a big gamble.
Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2011, 20:50   #19
Kaihekoa
Minimodder

Kaihekoa has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A 5/10 because a $20 game made by a small developer looks cheap and doesn't have a lot of content. The purpose of a game is fun, and you take 5 points because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3 and has a limited scope (intended). I don't know what you expect for a game that costs a third of an AAA title, but for most people who have played it, they get more than $20 worth of fun. Now I am going to be weary of bit-tech game reviews in the future, which is a shame.
Kaihekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2011, 22:13   #20
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihekoa View Post
A 5/10 because a $20 game made by a small developer looks cheap and doesn't have a lot of content. The purpose of a game is fun, and you take 5 points because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3 and has a limited scope (intended). I don't know what you expect for a game that costs a third of an AAA title, but for most people who have played it, they get more than $20 worth of fun. Now I am going to be weary of bit-tech game reviews in the future, which is a shame.
Odd that you should bump on this particular day.... It's %50 on steam.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is online now   Reply With Quote