bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 23rd May 2012, 13:42   #181
SilveR_172
Supermodder

SilveR_172 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSilveR_172 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrop View Post
2 coats. I've T-Cut them too :/
Do more mate , ive done 4 on my panels , but ideally need more than that , painting isnt a rush its the amount of time you put into it you see it back in quality
SilveR_172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:00   #182
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to have a little bash at sorting the paint out today.

Steel Series 6G MX Blacks /Choc Mini MX Blues / Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 Anthracite/ Poker 2 with 45g MX Blacks/ Dell AT101W/ Beige Filco TKL MX Black
shrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:17   #183
SilveR_172
Supermodder

SilveR_172 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSilveR_172 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to have a little bash at sorting the paint out today.
Brilliant day for it mate , also i wouldnt go straight to T cut it leave it a good few weeks
SilveR_172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:30   #184
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.
I left it 3 weeks before using any cutting compound.

Steel Series 6G MX Blacks /Choc Mini MX Blues / Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 Anthracite/ Poker 2 with 45g MX Blacks/ Dell AT101W/ Beige Filco TKL MX Black
Old 30th May 2012, 16:10   #185
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

I think that I rescued the front panel with a bit of cheeky sanding, a brush over with some fresh paint and a spit and polish. The blanking plate also fits in there nicely too. Just need to get some double sided tape to mount it.

Not the best picture ever, but just to show how I mounted the pump under-neath the 5 1/4" drive bay.

I also made up the spacers and painted them to match in. I just need to get some more paint for the second rad and it can be installed for good.

Old 8th Jun 2012, 20:23   #186
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Been having a play around this afternoon with the MDPC cable clips and nut caps. I like the flowing motion of the sleeved cables, I think when they are all finished, it will look pretty tasty; of course the back of the case matters too!

And here is a few pics of what I've got sorted so far. I'm off to China on sunday so no updates for about 10 days; but fingers crossed when I get back and get paid, I'll be getting the last rad, CPU block and hopefully a new GPU, my 560Ti really needs changing.

As always peeps, thanks for looking and I'll catch up with you in a few weeks!

Last edited by shrop; 8th Jun 2012 at 21:52.
Old 9th Jun 2012, 00:47   #187
Mizugetsu
Multimodder

Mizugetsu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Weeks no no no this must have updates daily.its looking good so far
Mizugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2012, 01:45   #188
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

I'm sorry man, I can't work on it China!

Old 13th Jun 2012, 01:17   #189
Foregasm
Multimodder

Foregasm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So this is WAAAYY overdue, but it just occurred to me. Did you fill in the hole for the reset button with that chemical metal stuff? If you did, did you need to use anything behind it so it had a place to sit?
Old 14th Jun 2012, 09:14   #190
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Sorry for the late reply and awkward timing, just finished work for the day in China, damn its hot! Anyway, got WiFi in the offices so I can check up on bits and pieces.

Jobs going well so I should be back tuesday/wedensday next week, theres a days travel back too so.... I'm hopefully getting my tattoo started and looking at what GPU to get, I'm torn between a second hand 680 or a 7970, I don't like the idea of spending 400 quid on a card, hence leaning towards a referance 7970, as they perform very well for the money. I was going to get a 670 but the reference PCB is SHI&....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foregasm View Post
So this is WAAAYY overdue, but it just occurred to me. Did you fill in the hole for the reset button with that chemical metal stuff? If you did, did you need to use anything behind it so it had a place to sit?

I didn't use anything to cover the hole up, the plastic padding covers fine, just don't be scard to use plenty of it, I use a big, big dollop and sanded it down prefectly flush, it looks great, you can't even tell there was meant to be a reset switch there.

Old 10th Jul 2012, 19:12   #191
maczo12310
What's a Dremel?

maczo12310 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awhh, Im quite sad that you dont have much time to continue this projet, I was really enjoying reading every single sentence in this post, and the pictures, and the machine it self looks amazing.

I have one big question, where the heck did you buy the Carbon Fibre? and is it the self-adhesive one? I would really appreaciate if you could link me to the play you bought it from, I know how to use it etc but just dont know where to search! xD

And again, great worklog and I hope to see more soon! Mac
maczo12310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2012, 22:15   #192
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Funny you should post in this thread, I'm getting ready to update it. Got a new GPU, more watercooling fittings, tubing, CPU block and a preview of something special...

Old 12th Jul 2012, 07:21   #193
Hanoken
Modder

Hanoken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hey! when I read your last post... about the used 680 I was panicking because I wanted to say something but since I wasnt a member I was in a crisis XD, well you finally got me on here, so ill thank you for that, and the second thing I wanna say is that you can instead get the gtx 670 cheesecake, those are like 680's since it uses the same pcb board, except a different gpu of course, and so it has a better cooling than the reference stock 670 pcb (in your words, SHI& D) check it out! its what i am using at the moment and i would recommend it since you get the same performance of the 7970 (not the GHz edition)
Hanoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 10:35   #194
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Did you post that in the right thread?!

Old 12th Jul 2012, 11:24   #195
Hanoken
Modder

Hanoken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Jobs going well so I should be back tuesday/wedensday next week, theres a days travel back too so.... I'm hopefully getting my tattoo started and looking at what GPU to get, I'm torn between a second hand 680 or a 7970, I don't like the idea of spending 400 quid on a card, hence leaning towards a referance 7970, as they perform very well for the money. I was going to get a 670 but the reference PCB is SHI&....

Yep, well maybe I said it wrong in my post ha ha ha, the second to last post
Hanoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 13:27   #196
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Now all is clear! Remember to use the quote button! :P

Old 15th Jul 2012, 23:34   #197
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Right so I've got a few more bits to update the thread with. Firstly, I've got a new GPU (7970), but its packed in so fingers crossed, the new one should be here next week, good job I didn't a waterblock and it going FUBAR on me!

Secondly, I'd like to say a big thanks to Pascal at Aquatuning in helping provide some fittings and a CPU waterblock. I'm sure you're all well aware of Aquatuning....

www.aquatuning.co.uk

www.facebook.com/aquatuning

www.facebook.com/aquatuninguk

Again, a massive thanks to Pascal!

Nice little box of goodies!

Here is a few close ups of the CPU block, please note I have not installed it properly, the block came with all the mounting gear but no instructions on how to mount it! It is one awesome looking block though, the little bits of copper set it off nicely; I'm also going to get a bit of T-Cut or something to polish off the bottom a tad more.

Finally for this update, I'd like to thank Nate at E22 for getting my fan grill cut. I must admit I think it looks really smart, I know not all will like it, some of my pals on my Mumble server aren't too keen on it, but you can't please 'em all!!

Get hold of Nate on his facebook page and check out his awesome work.

www.e22.biz

www.facebook.com/e22uk

Old 25th Jul 2012, 21:50   #198
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Righto peeps, time for another update. I'm sorry its been so long, I'm actually running in safe mode right now, I'm having some issues with my rig completely locking up when opening up the internet, all different browsers including IE. I've looked into it and it seems to be a nasty case of Malware, so I've got Malwarebytes running (has found 1 problem so far :eek, ran CCleaner and running a full scan with Avast. I'm having no issues under safe mode so hopefully I can get it sorted out, I just thought I'd update now as I've got the chance to take an hour or so out to upload the pics and update the various logs on different forums, without my rig crashing every 5 minutes. Here we go in full 800x600 resolution, excuse me if there are any spelling mistakes! lol

Right, so first off, I've got me a shiny new graphics card, in the form of an ASUS reference design 7970, perfect for sticking a nice lump of copper waterblock on Happy with it so far, runs everything great, is pretty quiet at stock frequencies and with the new Catalyst 12.7 Beta driver, it performs very well, catching up to the 680 in Battlefield 3, surpassing it in others about half the time and trouncing the 670 in nearly every game but Skyrim. I'm probably going to get an Alphacool or an Aquatuning block for it too. I'm liking Alphacool's recent stuff, well priced etc. One thing though, my NeXxXos block was a little scuffed up, more about that later, less waffle and MOAR photozZzZ!!1!/

Asus bling innit :coolguy.jpeg:

Shall be replacing this with a single slot PCI bracket, me'thinks

Thats the 7970 out the way Next up, other things and stuff. I've not had the time, or money really to work on her for the past few weeks, being busy at work, working away a fair deal and not having the drive to work on the rig because of a few ups and downs, she's gotten a little dusty sitting in my room, (that poor paint job).

Anyway, another nice bit of kit has come from the wonderful Nate at E22, as per my previous post. I said I boshed up a plan in Google SketchUp and the wizard that he is converted it and CNC'd it out for me and sent it out in less than a week and for a VERY reasonable price, less than a 1/3rd of what I was quoted from other CNC shops. Mad props to Nate at E22, no doubt I shall be having a lot more custom jobs from that man!

All ready to be sanded, tacked and sprayed!

Next up, I was looking at my Alphacool NeXxXos CPU cooler and saw a few marks on the bottom, so I decided I would have a go at seeing if I could buff them out, as I've got no sandpaper in >1000 grit left. Here is what it looked like...

(Contact plate looking a little grubby too, I think they are little tiny bits of Delrin from the machining process).

As you can see, some machining marks and a few light scuffs, nothing major and shouldn't effect temps, but I can't be done with that! I've got to make it nice and neat and sparkly. I had a go at mixing some vinegar and salt, leaving the copper plate and screws in the solution for 10-15 minutes and boy, did it work?! Yes? it did?! This was before any buffing with some compound....

And after a light buffing. I think I am going to take it down further like lapping a CPU, its very shiny at the moment, (you'll see in a sec, sunglasses on now!) but again, I won't be happy with it.

Look m'ah its on fire!!!!

Its looking rather good if I say so, a little more sanding with some super fine wet and dry and it will be good to go. Now... shall I lap my nice i7?! I gave the ACOOL logo a little polish with some compound too and it came up really nice.

Well, thats all for now folks, thanks for stopping by, as always, I appreciate you taking the time and looking/ reading my log, I enjoy it and the feedback makes me feel and warm and fuzzy! Thanks again all!!!!

Old 6th Aug 2012, 17:52   #199
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Thanks for the MOTM nominee! Just a bump of the thread to remind people of my build so far!

Old 7th Aug 2012, 19:45   #200
OcSurfe
Uber Noob

OcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Good work Pex!
OcSurfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3m di-noc, lian-li, pc a70f, water cool

View Mode