bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Nov 2011, 11:55   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Bethesda: 'PC development is a headache'

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...s-a-headache/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:14   #2
beckoner
What's a Dremel?

beckoner has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My copy was despatched yesterday : may the gods let it arrive today!
beckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:28   #3
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yet the Steam Dragon won't release you from it's toothy jaw until tomorrow
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:28   #4
technogiant
Supermodder

technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.
Bethesda should not be allowed to get away with comments like that, the problem with Rage was not driver support, it was the fact they didn't concern themselves primarily with the pc as a platform, something they now admit only after it became blindingly apparent after release.
When it was released vsync did not work, multi gpu was not and still is not supported, higher resolution textures had to be forced via a config file rather than being accessible from the interface and config files had to be used to enable texture caching so pop in didn't occur.
Far from the idtec5 engine pushing the pc to it's api bound limits as Carmack implied it didn't even make use of rescources commonly found in pc's......stop BS BetheSda.
technogiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:40   #5
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Bethesda's own response to the threat of piracy has been to hand extra resources to PC gamers in the form of a mod support, rather than restricting the experience with DRM.
for that, i'll let Bethesda get away with anything!
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:45   #6
Tomhyde1986
Supermodder

Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I haven't played Rage although I am somewhat aware of the issues surrounding it.

However the PC is such a diverse platform regarding system configurations that it can be nothing but a headache to some level.

With consoles you don't need to worry about a range of hardware. All 360s and PS3s are the same hardware. That makes the task significantly easier. Drivers aren't an issue, multi GPUs, dual core CPUs, all that funky buisness isn't much of a concern because no console utilises them.

When I was testing games for EA testing BF 2142 was significantly more complicated and often frustrating to say testing Fable 3 but not from a gameplay point of view. It took more coordination without a doubt but what was the real issue was trying to get 64 PCs with different system specs to all work at the same time. It was really tough at times.

The only thing you really need to worry about with a console is network testing, performance and does it look okay.

While the PCs flexability in hardware and software configurations is arguably its greatest strength, making effective use of that strength is considerably harder. Theres just so much more to take into consideration when designing the product.

Just my 2 cents.
Tomhyde1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:48   #7
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I hope this isn't a precursor to a crappy PC Skyrim port!

Bethesda, if you ruin this for me, I will come to your homes and offices and take away everything you hold sacred.
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:50   #8
Marvin-HHGTTG
Marvin. I don't care what ^ says...

Marvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Liking the amount of PR spin in place with Mr Hines...

I didn't see the Witcher 2 have multitudes of ridiculous game-breaking issues that weren't fixed immediately.

I especially liked this bit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hines
Unless you decide not to make your games available for PC, it's a problem, and you have to deal with it.
O'rly? When looking for a GT4 save game to use with PCSX2 the other day, I popped onto TPB to have a look. Typed in Gran Turismo, and low-and-behold, about 100 GT5 full game cracks etc for console use.

PCs hard to develop for? Piracy only exists on PC? Lame excuses for crappy development, and this does little to stem my fears that Skyrim will be a buggy mess if they're employing damage limitation before release.

The only good thing is that at least Bethesda allow modding, although that may just mean that modders have to fix their game for them...
Marvin-HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 13:29   #9
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Note to bethesda: if I have to download almost the same again disk space wise in Mods and patches to fix all your crap design decisions and bugs... you're doing it wrong...

Mr Hines just comes across as 'WAAAAAAAAAAAGH PC Development requires effort WAAAAAAAAAAGH why won't they just buy any random crap we churn out? WAAAAAAAAAAAGH'

...to me at least...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 13:51   #10
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Bethesda have long had form on buggy games (IIRC going back to their Terminator licensed game), and lying about one of the Elder Scrolls titles working on a GF5200 when it was a slideshow or wouldn't even start. Hines thinks we're just going to forget about all that.

They could've taken the cost of the full sized London Underground posters and Channel 5 TV Sponsorship for Rage in the ad breaks for The Walking Dead and put that into QA, but they opted to "finish" it and go gold and just blanket hype it for sales.

I have a 360 and am still not buying Rage because of theirs and iD's attitude, when it works I'll take another look. In fact the guy knows Skyrim will sell gazillions so the people who bought Rage could go stuff themselves as far as he cares.
NethLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 14:18   #11
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
My copy arrive today. Obviously can't play it though, so I'm just content to sit here staring at it and sniffing it every few minutes. Shhhhhhiiiiinnnnnnnyyyyyyyy.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 14:37   #12
the-beast
Modder

the-beast has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Bethesda's own response to the threat of piracy has been to hand extra resources to PC gamers in the form of a mod support, rather than restricting the experience with DRM.
Which is why their games come pre-bundled with the Steam DRM for every distribution channel now then?
the-beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 14:37   #13
the-beast
Modder

the-beast has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagib
My copy arrive today. Obviously can't play it though, so I'm just content to sit here staring at it and sniffing it every few minutes. Shhhhhhiiiiinnnnnnnyyyyyyyy.
Damn that DRM!
the-beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 14:42   #14
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Difficult to argue that PC won't be harder to develop for, to be honest. It's like web browsers and HTML, CSS and Javascript. OK, well, not quite that bad, perhaps, but a similar class of problem.

I'd hoped that DirectX would abstract away most of it, but it would seem to be mainly an issue of competing implementations of various things.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 14:54   #15
Cerberus90
petrolhead

Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes

I'd hoped that DirectX would abstract away most of it, but it would seem to be mainly an issue of competing implementations of various things.
That's what I was thinking.

Maybe Microsoft need to pull their finger out and update DirectX to enable a more abstracted system, kind of like java.
Although I suppose that just then shifts the burner onto Microsoft, although as the GPU drivers must be compatible with windows, it may be easier for Microsoft than game developers.

Cerberus90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 15:01   #16
t.y.wan
What's a Dremel?

t.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremelt.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremelt.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LOL about the driver issues. Texture popping is not driver issues, weird controls and core mechanics do not equal to driver issues...
A lot of PC games came out just fine. Taking HARD RESET as an example, it is developed by an indie company, the game still feel smooth, the mechanics are solid, the game doesn't have texture popping craps...
As for the piracy issues, seriously, if your game is solid, like COD or BF. You will sell good, if not very good.
t.y.wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 15:15   #17
Roskoken
Multimodder

Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
PC gaming is dead
Roskoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 15:16   #18
atlas
Minimodder

atlas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The PC development may be a bit of a headache because of the many configurations but you also produce the most beautiful version because of the powerful hardware. Glad to hear they not bogging the game down with DRM, well played Bethesda. Mines on pre-order already.
atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 15:21   #19
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
For everything I said above, if Jeremy Soule composed the Skyrim soundtrack, I'd still keep an open mind about buying it just on the music alone - and I'd hope any collector's edition had it on CD.
NethLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 15:21   #20
Hovis
Supermodder

Hovis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can't wait for Skyrim. Not just because I expect the basic game to be good, but because if it goes the same way as Oblivion, which it surely will, then there'll be years of awesome modded content to come. If a developer takes pains to ensure that the community can modify and expand their games, then that developer is good people. I've lost a lot of respect for Bioware since they went down the closed shop route with their games and threw the modding community that built up around Neverwinter Nights under the bus. Skyrim probably won't be perfect when it comes out, but in six months to a year I'll have it tailored to suit my style and it will be.

Give a man a game, and he'll play that game for a while. Give the man the means to change that game and it'll keep him amused for years.
Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote