bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:13   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel Sandy Bridge E Review

We evaluate the long awaited 6-core version of the Sandy Bridge CPU family

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...dge-e-review/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:26   #2
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Disappointed

Glad I invested ion 2600K's now. Nothing here to make me move to Socket 2011, espcially seeing how hot the vrm's run. I'd need full cover waterblocks and they add another £100 to any build.

Any chance of some measure of the folding performance on SMP's and BIGADV's? Surely that is the perfect application for such chips.
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:30   #3
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
for that much more money, screw it.

i'm still happy with my Q6600 G0 @3.6Ghz. haven't seen anything I use daily that utilizes it to the max.

maybe when 'E' series is out the mobo price would go down. then maybe its time to move to DDR3... lol
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:34   #4
penryn 2 hertz
I'm not a science fiction writer...

penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.
I think it is hardware out striping software here...
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them in their cores and exploded these enriched ingredients across our galaxy, billions of years ago. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
penryn 2 hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:36   #5
andrew8200m
All of the hilarious

andrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If want stock you could buy from ocUK.. they have them in stock and with stock as limited as it is it could remain that way for a while yet.

Last edited by andrew8200m; 14th Nov 2011 at 17:49.
andrew8200m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:42   #6
mattbailey
Multimodder

mattbailey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Bit-Tech said We started off this review pondering what the 'E' in Sandy Bridge E stood for and we're now fairly convinced that it doesn't stand for 'Extreme' or 'Enthusiast'. Instead, it must mean....
.....Expensive
mattbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:45   #7
yassarikhan786
Ultramodder(Not)

yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
My 2600k is very sufficient for my "Gamer" needs and I agree fully with the review. Although if I did go with a LGA2011 CPU, the most obvious choice would be the 3930K. Very good CPU's, with the price's being the biggest let down (which was expected tbh).
|| Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 580 Super OC || Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB || SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB || HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v || Keyboard: Logitech G510 || Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
yassarikhan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:50   #8
Spraduke
Lurker

Spraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Very happy with my day 1 purchase of a 2500k. I have had great performance since February (nearly solely in games mind) and despite a mobo replacement because of the chipset bug I'm a happy customer. I very rarely buy brand new kit (normally waiting for prices to level out etc.) but this has given me excellent value for money.
Spraduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 17:51   #9
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc View Post
Any chance of some measure of the folding performance on SMP's and BIGADV's? Surely that is the perfect application for such chips.
We'll try and take a look at this at some point. However, with Stanford buggering about with the BIGADV servers for the last few weeks its been impossible to do any benchmarking because we can't get the Assignment Servers to hand out the units we need.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 18:06   #10
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
On a side note, does this mean we can expect a Corsair H80 review soon? Seeing as you've using one for this article?
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 18:18   #11
rob the bank
Supermodder

rob the bank has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrob the bank has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK
On a side note, does this mean we can expect a Corsair H80 review soon? Seeing as you've using one for this article?
That must kill Intel, after all that wait it was so bad we are more interested in the CPU cooler :=)
rob the bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 18:18   #12
TaRkA DaHl
I *am* a Dremel

TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
GeorgeK -

Its in the new mag :P
TaRkA DaHl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 18:26   #13
Arghnews
Multimodder

Arghnews has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bit Tech already said it, with the lack of features, seems like Intel didn't really bother with this to be honest. After AMD's flop it's easy to see why
Although I spose the i7-3930K will be decent for applications above consumer grade. It seems to do pretty well, esp. against two very expensive Xeons. Although, gotta admit, an i7-2600K makes everything more expensive look quite silly.
Arghnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 18:29   #14
towelie
How do I Internet!!

towelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltowelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by penryn 2 hertz View Post
I think it is hardware out striping software here...
Completely agree with you here as most applications still just spam core 0 with requests, would seem pointless other than braging rights to buy it.I still yet to max out my I7 920 at stock speeds of 2.9GHZ with turbo most programs are memory hounds.
Hard Drives:50GB SSD OCZ Sandforce driver/1TB WD Green 7200RPM
Case:NZXT 810 Switch Black
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 18:31   #15
Christopher N. Lew
Folding in memory of my father

Christopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for president
Good - no need to upgrade from my Gulftowns.
Christopher N. Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 18:41   #16
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
nice to see it compete with the duel xeon systems for £1100 less no dout. if you need a server level pc this isnt a bad cpu ( price will never be competitive and this market gets worse, price up 2 top end xeon cpus + mobo and ecc ram to see what i mean )

Do intel care i dout it they have no reason too.still waiting for ivy bridge i guess

makes the i7920 to 950 range of cpus look exeptional value for money if you brought one back on release your looking at nearly 3-4 years of close to top end performance once overclocked. And even standard most of the them are more than fast enough for the general consumer

Technology has reached its limits in games whilst current consoles hold back a market that isnt technology led any more the ps3 is running on old nvidia graphics from 3 generations ago. most games dont max out 3 threads let alone 12.

For a gamer id be inclined to say a 2500k is overkill till the next generation of consoles are released a good old i5 750 will probably do the job and i dout the performance penalty is there ( you may lose a few minimum but if your over 60 fps or 30fps depending on game type does it really matter), Very few gamers are running eyeinifity setups or nvidias 3d stuff.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 18:50   #17
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK

Don't waste your money on it, trust me I have one sat in the box here waiting to go in my media server simply because it is a nightmare to fit, took 12 refit's to get it sat properly on my 920 and that was indicated each time by stupidly high temp's at stock speed.

Then once I managed to get it sat properly and started to overclock my 920, I was only able to take it to 3.6ghz with the stock fan's and by changing those fan's to some Sytche ones I managed to get it to 4.8ghz but the temp's were still in the high 80's per core at 1.35v.

When I changed to a custom loop with a dual rad and used the same setting's and fan's I managed to drop the temp's down to 72c per core, and by changing to a triple rad and upping the speed and voltage to 4.2ghz/1.40v my temp's went to 74c.

I also tried it on my overclocked sandy bridge 2500K @ 4.8ghz and it was giving temp's of 65c per core, using the stock fan's so I just went back to the air cooler which gives temp's of around 71c per core.

Not to mention the H80 sound's like you have a jet turbine sat next to your ear as well, I would simply not recommend it to anyone and the only reason I am going to use it in my media server is because that will be in my shed so I won't hear it at all.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 19:23   #18
debs3759
Was that a warranty I just broke?

debs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
We'll try and take a look at this at some point. However, with Stanford buggering about with the BIGADV servers for the last few weeks its been impossible to do any benchmarking because we can't get the Assignment Servers to hand out the units we need.
Is it possible also to include stats for the v7 beta when you do folding performance reviews? It is coded differently, although for CPUs maybe not too differently. Where it will be useful is for ATI/AMD GPUs, which have much better support in v7, so any reviews for them on the older released v6.x versions do not take that into account. The current v7 beta is, for me at least, stable, and performs well.

HeatWare
debs3759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 19:37   #19
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Do intel care i dout it they have no reason too.still waiting for ivy bridge i guess

makes the i7920 to 950 range of cpus look exeptional value for money if you brought one back on release your looking at nearly 3-4 years of close to top end performance once overclocked.
QFT, launch day buyer of I7 920 here, couldn't be bothered by Sandybridge, can't be bothered by SB-E and Ivy Bridge will soon arrive to solve the only drawback of a Oc'd I7 920, power consumption.

Me: "No idea, but unofficial one here".
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2011, 19:38   #20
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the bank View Post
That must kill Intel, after all that wait it was so bad we are more interested in the CPU cooler :=)
I don't think it's that bad, it's actually quite good, but let down on it's massive power draw and price.

I think you lot have all been spoiled with 1155 performance and were expecting another huge jump. I just don't think we are going to see some thing like that again for a while.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote