bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Nov 2011, 11:45   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Intel LGA2011 CPU gets water-cooled

PC modder Coolmiester builds what we think is the first LGA2011 PC mod, complete with water-cooling.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2011/11...modding-comm/1
Old 21st Nov 2011, 12:54   #2
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
4.8ghz on that watercooling setup, makes me wonder what temp's they are getting on air when people do that speed on air, unless that is what they wanted as the safe max overclock.

Think I will be waiting for the next stepping before I decide fully if I should get one or not.

Got to say though the mod looks great and well done.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2011, 13:43   #3
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Just realised these new CPU's are based on 32nm. Lame. So they cost a shitload and the performance isn't wonderful. I will be going with Z68 i5 2500k.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2011, 14:57   #4
Cyberpower-UK
Professional Overclocker

Cyberpower-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice build, how much RAM did you stuff in it?
Old 21st Nov 2011, 15:03   #5
gabe777
Minimodder

gabe777 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it really worth it to get 300 MHz more than the 4.5 easily attainable on air ?

WTF.
gabe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2011, 15:12   #6
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe777
Is it really worth it to get 300 MHz more than the 4.5 easily attainable on air ?

WTF.
You would be surprised when you are looking at using it for video encoding etc where the speed help's quite abit if you are doing allot of encoding.

Not to mention water cooling when done properly look's excellent compared to a great big hoofing HSF.

I am just waiting for the 12 month warranty to run out on the pre overclocked bundle I have in my pc, before I watercool it if I have not upgraded by then simply because I want to increase the overclock which I have done but only from 4.6 to 4.8ghz on air, but with water I know I can take the chip to 5.0ghz plus as it will do it on air now but the temp's are to high for me.

Normally also watercooling is quieter than air cooling, as you can use low rpm fans on the rad's and get lower temp's as well there are benefit's to it but it does cost more.
Old 21st Nov 2011, 15:20   #7
G0UDG
helping others costs nothing

G0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well done paul nice build, wish I had the skills to build a proper water cooling loop for my pc I would do it in a flash if i had
Hard to explain to someone who has no clue. Or doesn't believe you. It's a daily struggle being in pain or feeling sick on the inside while you look fine on the outside. Please put this as your signature for at least 1 hour if you or someone you know has an invisible illness (Pancreatitis, Crohn's, PTSD, Anxiety, Bipolar, Depression, Diabetes, LUPUS, Fibromyalgia, MS,Lupus, ME, Arthritis, Cancer, Heart Disease, Epilepsy, Autism,M.D. Evan Syndrome etc.) " Never judge what you don't understand.
G0UDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2011, 23:33   #8
kzinti1
Multimodder

kzinti1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What people need to be aware of is that these processors aren't worth the money just for gaming. If you're using software that can take advantage of these new cpu's and their extra cores, then fine. That's what they were made for.
NOT gaming! Stick with the i7-2500, 2600 or 2700 K-models for gaming. You'll save money over the way more expensive E-Models. That "E" is for Enterprise, not Enthusiast. You'll save money through using a lot less electricity, (Sandy Bridge E=130 Watts vs. Sandy Bridge K=95 Watts), and also you can use air-cooling or a closed loop watercooler instead of having to invest in a full-loop watercooling system. Even if you can find adapters for present day cpu waterblocks. I looked. EK Waterblocks has them on their site but they cost a fortune for shipping to the U.S. just to get an adapter kit. Not to mention the extreme prices that E-Model motherboards cost.
You'd do better to just wait a few more months or so for IvyBridge.
kzinti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 05:22   #9
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzinti1
NOT gaming!
Exactly. Check the benchmarks and OC results - you'll be better off with an i5 2500K or possibly an i7 2600K. For the average enthusiast applications, SB-E is not what you want. If you're looking to build a workstation for massively-threaded software, by all means. But most of the numbers I've seen, you'll get a handful of fps out of the SB-Es, at nearly double or nearly quadruple the cost (of the i5, at least)

It's a new age, people - Intel has blessed y'all with an embarrassment of riches. Just don't go for SB-E unless you need what it actually does, or you need a boost to your e-peen :P
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 09:42   #10
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Why disrespect the build when it has taken time and money to plan and put together. You don't know what he intends to use the system for so you cannot start bad mouthing him and his build because "it's a waste for Gaming!"

I think the build looks awesome and Coolmiester needs recognition for his excellent work he has done here. Well Done dude!
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 10:00   #11
M7ck
Ⓜod Ⓜaster

M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
Why disrespect the build when it has taken time and money to plan and put together. You don't know what he intends to use the system for so you cannot start bad mouthing him and his build because "it's a waste for Gaming!"

I think the build looks awesome and Coolmiester needs recognition for his excellent work he has done here. Well Done dude!
This +1000
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 10:56   #12
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

Well I said it's a nice build etc, and was only defending the choice of cooling etc.

The best cpu for gaming is the I7 2500K as the hyperthreading on the 2600K and 2700K in some games will make it perform worse than the 2500K, as I saw when I ran a 2600K and 2500K but it's not allot of difference.

The 6 core's and faster speed will help if you have the software to utilise it but I don't think there is much available, that is cheap enough for the average person to buy.

I like the build and I like the Sandy Bridge E chip's but at the moment I cannot justify the cost of them, but maybe when the next stepping is released they will be worth it for me.

Again really nice and clean build respect to you for that.
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 11:19   #13
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice & tidy Paul I still think the CPU inbetween the RAM banks looks cool, SB-E not for my kinda usage but for those who it is it's a beast .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 11:28   #14
shaunster1011
Multimodder

shaunster1011 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Watercooling isn't only done to keep stuff 'cool', it also looks awesome and you don't have to have a massive piece of metal hanging off your mobo..
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 18:36   #15
HackJoe
Supermodder

HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.HackJoe is definitely a rep cheat.
Saw this at i44, great build, the cable management is amongst the best I've seen. Well done that man.

J.
HackJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 09:41   #16
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
Well I said it's a nice build etc, and was only defending the choice of cooling etc.

The best cpu for gaming is the I7 2500K as the hyperthreading on the 2600K and 2700K in some games will make it perform worse than the 2500K, as I saw when I ran a 2600K and 2500K but it's not allot of difference.

The 6 core's and faster speed will help if you have the software to utilise it but I don't think there is much available, that is cheap enough for the average person to buy.

I like the build and I like the Sandy Bridge E chip's but at the moment I cannot justify the cost of them, but maybe when the next stepping is released they will be worth it for me.

Again really nice and clean build respect to you for that.
what is this i7 2500k people keep speaking about!?

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 09:47   #17
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

Lol I see what I did my mistake (slaps self in face)

The I5 2500K is what I meant.
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 18:11   #18
Tom @ CCL
AKA: Yewen

Tom @ CCL has yet to learn the way of the DremelTom @ CCL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
CCL were over the moon to be showing one of Paul's creations on our stand again.

Truly amazing in person and a cut above almost all other mods I have seen, its the last 2% that makes Paul's mods seem like they were an off the shelf case and setup.
Tom @ CCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2011, 03:02   #19
xxxsonic1971
W.O.T xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
very nice system mate,well done.
Old 27th Nov 2011, 12:29   #20
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
nicely put together traditional mod, you could almost call it old school!

why are people talking about the failings of SB-E for gaming here? anyone can read the bit-tech review its still on the front page
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote