bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Nov 2011, 08:02   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
What's the Best AMD Bulldozer Motherboard?

We take a handful of our favorite AM3+ motherboards and test them with an AMD FX CPU.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-motherboard/1
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 08:12   #2
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Does anyone care what the best bulldozer motherboard is? I mean it's not like we are gonna rush out and buy a processor that performs so badly are we?
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 08:34   #3
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If the FX-8150 comes to he 150eur mark (cheaper than 2500k), then I have no problem recomending this cpu to people.

But first they have to "disapear" with the Phenom II stock.
I would buy a Phenom II anytime over the new bulldozers
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 08:40   #4
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
It's currently 220 pound. Good luck with that one
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 09:19   #5
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Think @V3ctor has a point - would rather buy a Phenom II than an FX, especially when you consider the price to performance thing.

I wonder if AMD's next processor will require a different slot as well, so you'd not even be buying AM3+ for future proofing. I see that FM1, which looks like a good idea, will be replaced by FM2 - so bang goes the upgrade path...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 09:37   #6
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what else were they gonna do with all the mb reviews in anticipation for bulldozer?
might as well press the publish key than the delete key
greigaitken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 09:39   #7
feathers
Banned

I would rather not buy an antiquated phenom II when I can buy an i5 2500k. Makes no sense to me but I guess there are always people who will buy the crap stuff. I would rather save some extra cash and buy a significantly faster CPU especially when the intel overclocks so well.
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 10:00   #8
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
It's difficult for people who were sold the Bulldozer myth, and thus stuck with AMD past the point where loyalty becomes stupidity. There's no reason (as greigaitken points out) that bit-tech shouldn't cover AMD stuff just because it's rubbish atm.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 10:07   #9
feathers
Banned

For me it's not difficult. When AMD was king I was just about to buy one and then Intel came out with the core duo. All of my AMD friends then dumped AMD for Intel. I go with whatever performs best and I also like overclocking (AMD has generally been quite weak on that compared to intel).

I guess there is the novelty value of having an 8 core cpu. I personally don't want 8 weak cores any more than I'd pay 500 pounds for a 32nm 6 core sandybridge. Until my mobo died 2 months ago I was using i7 860. When I buy a replacement mobo it will be z68 and i5 2500k. I'm no longer willing to pay 220+ for cpu and i5 k gives lot of overclock headroom at reasonable cost. AMD doesn't even merit a look.
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 10:09   #10
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
Seriously...why bother?
I started reading through all the blurb regarding this in Custom PC this month and the decided to not bother wasting my life.
How stupid are AMD?
Involve the community, run some benchmarks, test things more before release...no-one is going to buy this shite.
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 10:19   #11
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Lol...Derpdozer Motherboards.

Seriously, who cares, might as well run an article on which is the best and quickest method of throwing money down the drain, as it equates to the same thing.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 10:44   #12
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I still use a 720BE, so a Phenom II x6 or a 980BE x4 makes upgrade sense... but yes, if starting from scratch, AMD makes no sense now...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 11:12   #13
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
I wonder if AMD's next processor will require a different slot as well, so you'd not even be buying AM3+ for future proofing. I see that FM1, which looks like a good idea, will be replaced by FM2 - so bang goes the upgrade path...
As far as we know, the follow-up to Bulldozer (called Piledriver) will have an integrated graphics unit and thus will require a new socket. We're not sure what this will be at the moment. Perhaps the Llano follow-up and Piledriver will use the same new socket or maybe we'll be in the same situation as Intel, with LGA1155 and LGA2011 concurrently.

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 11:51   #14
casper410
Modder

casper410 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Clearly we can see the performance improvement from 890 to 990 chipset. Well done Bit-tech.

Some of you forget when Phenom architecture was in its early stages the performance was basic. I really hope AMD can do the same with Bulldozer architecture, and i believe they will, i think we are in for some amazing future improvements on Bulldozer.
FM1 socket is a great build for most peoples needs, and at a very good price, well done AMD. Now release your 7 series GPU`s and help fund your processor design.
Unless you all happy with Intel`s new £800 chips and £200 botherboards, and panicking about AMD changing their sockets, so you can future proof your little gaming and internet pc, then stop complaining about Intels competition.
Akasa Eclipse windowed, Core i7 920, 6Gb 1600Mhz, Xfi Fatality Titanium, HD 5970 2Gb, CPU & GPU watercooled, 1x120 radiator, 1xdouble radiator, Freser cooling, BD RW, 3 Hard drives, Inline Thermo sensor.
casper410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 12:15   #15
grritsshawn
I'm not insane I'm a modder

grritsshawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgrritsshawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgrritsshawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgrritsshawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgrritsshawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgrritsshawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
none
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 12:23   #16
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
I still use a 720BE, so a Phenom II x6 or a 980BE x4 makes upgrade sense... but yes, if starting from scratch, AMD makes no sense now...
Upgrading to a 6 core makes sense...but to a 4 core from 3 really doesn't, 3 cores will give you 80-90% of the performance of a full blown 4 core, especially in games, admittedly, an extra core might be worth it if your into 3d rendering or heavy photo manipulation...
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 12:50   #17
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper410 View Post
Unless you all happy with Intel`s new £800 chips and £200 botherboards, and panicking about AMD changing their sockets, so you can future proof your little gaming and internet pc, then stop complaining about Intels competition.
???

Everyone is happy with the 160 Intel i5 2500K chip which is cheaper and better than the latest AMD Bulldozer stuff so I am not sure what point you are making here?

And in what way are people complaining about Intel's competition? All I can see is people recommending the Intel over any current AMD chip for most applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper410 View Post
Some of you forget when Phenom architecture was in its early stages the performance was basic. I really hope AMD can do the same with Bulldozer architecture, and i believe they will, i think we are in for some amazing future improvements on Bulldozer.
Proof please.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 13:15   #18
Panos
Multimodder

Panos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run Crysis
I bought a Gigabyte 990FX more than 7 months ago. I am pretty happy with it.
Awesome board, supports SLI (2 GTX570s on it atm) and the T1090 is working perfectly @ 4.3 Ghz.

The only game that stressed my system was Anno 1404, on huge maps with quite a lot going on!!!!!!!!
(My system chew and spit out Skyrim, BF3 and huge maps on CIV5).
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 13:17   #19
Action_Parsnip
Hypermodder

Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
NO gigabyte board??

And Asus wins again, <3 asus

Q6700@3.475ghz 9x386mhz, Asus P5-B Deluxe WIFI-AP, 2x2gb Kingston 1066 @965mhz 5-5-5-15, western Digital Caviar Black 1tb HDD, Titan Fenrir, PC Power&Cooling 750w, XFX 4890
Action_Parsnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 13:25   #20
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Poor old AMD, as much as I want to see them succeed they really have punched themselves violently in the face this time, even if their next chip is super mega ultra hyper omg wtf turbo speed good, who's going to believe them after this mess?
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote