1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Music Box

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mosquito, 28 Nov 2011.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it seems to be...

I'm thinking about (and designing) a scratch build for a wooden computer case, with an integrated touch screen and speakers with an ITX motherboard. The intent is to have it as a portable cable (power) box for streaming music from my file server (or internet I guess) anywhere.

In this design, the speaker pops up from the top and can be pushed back down into the case for storage/moving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this design, the speaker is just mounted on the base instead of popping up

[​IMG]

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited: 30 Dec 2011
  2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Nice, like the second one, a lot simpler.

Have you considered getting something like an O2 joggler (small android tablet) and modding it into a small touch screen based music streamer? Have seen it done once before, and because it is a small all in one unit it was very compact. Plus you can de-solder the speaker from it and connect it into a small amp/speaker setup.

3. Mosquito

Thanks,

I have thought about doing that as well, I do have an Asus Transformer tablet that I could use for the task, or even an old cellphone with WiFi, but part of going this route was for something to do/build :D I've got some spare parts in the form of ram, wireless card, ssd, and fan that I was going to use for this, so hardware cost would be motherboard, pico-psu, and touch screen mainly. Of which, the touch screen would be the expensive part (have one in mind)

4. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

I am digging the design Mosquito. Maybe you could incorporate the speakers into the main box and have removable grills. You could use some Kevlar cone speakers, so if you want to take the grills off, it would look even nicer. You could use some existing speakers like this:

[​IMG]

You could even put the screen on top and have it flip up...just thinking out loud. I like the idea, good luck:)

Saw this and thought it was interesting too:

[​IMG]

5. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Could use the top design but put the speaker on actuators... so when the pc is powered up or playing music.. the speaker lifts.
    :)

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Nice project, just be sure to use shielded speakers. Any idea about the ITX mobo ? Some have a built-in LVDS controller, perfect for LCD interfacing. A Linux + XBMC + touchscreen could be awesome :D.

7. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

GuilleAcoustic - know any off the top of your head? it might help me with my next project :p

8. GuilleAcoustic

You can PM me if you want, don't wanna hijack this thread :D. You can take a look at my HTPC planning to : http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=215992

9. Mosquito

You may be on to something there... I hadn't thought about putting the speakers in front, and having the screen pop up... I may have to play around with that a bit. Thanks for the ideas, and comments :thumb:

I should have elaborated a bit more on the design, but that was sort of the idea for that design. The harder part is getting that to happen.

Shielded speakers would be definitely be a must, at least if I want it to work with out constantly replacing parts :lol: I haven't done much extended research, but I was looking into the integrated Atom boards, but also tempted to do more research on the new AMD offerings. I'm trying to keep it cheap and basic if I can. I was thinking about getting a SoundGraph FingerVu OEM touch screen, as it would be powered internally from the power supply and connected by usb. Still exploring options there though, as they're about $250 shipped....

No worries, I'm here to learn and any information you have is more than welcome, thanks :thumb:

10. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

shouldnt be too hard :naughty:
    How high do you think the speaker will need to be?
    It would need some sort of frame to slide on though....
    perhaps draw rails?

Edit: or if i looked at your picture properly (Durr) then you could use metal rods into the wood which would act to stabalise the speaker.

11. GuilleAcoustic

linear actuator ... they work line servo motors :thumb:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Dec 2011
  12. Mosquito

Yeah, metal rods holding together an upper and lower piece, that would then slide up and down through the top panel was the idea on that one. The height for the speaker bar that I had for that idea would be about 2.5-3 inches for the speaker to clear the top panel.

I've been looking all over at linear actuators, but the problem is that it's harder to find ones that would fit inside the case well (given it's 5.5 inch internal height). They're also rather expensive from what I've found. I've been poking around in model airplane forums and shops trying to find something small that might work, but they're usually too small and/or don't have much force. I thought about making my own system out of a CD drive tray/motor assembly, but all 3 of the non-functioning CD drives I took apart are rubber-band driven, so the weight of the speaker would cause it to slip. I'm still looking into it though. If you happen to know a place to find smaller but not terribly expensive actuators (that ships to US) I'd be interested to hear about it :)

I was thinking about perhaps being able to make it spring-loaded, just enough to just hold it up, and then using a kind of cabinet catch that you push in to release to hold it down. Something similar to this:
    [​IMG]

---

I've also got another pair of USB powered speakers that I've taken apart, and may use with a pair of other speakers, and mount them in the front with the screen flipping up from the top. I've currently got a working SketchUp for that one, and with a few more details I'll post some pictures later, maybe tonight. :lol:

Thanks for all the input :thumb:

13. Mosquito

A quick render of the flip up screen with speakers in the front:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Dec 2011
  14. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

i much prefer the look of the speaker coming out of the top :)

15. GuilleAcoustic

Speakers need quite some room to sound goods. Sound-wise, it's better to have them inside the box.

16. Mosquito

For the inside the box, the speakers would be bare speakers inside the case, for that design I added another couple of inches to the depth of the case to help with, not only more clearance inside, but also to potentially put a barrier inside the case to make more of an enclosure for the speakers in front.

For the pop-up speaker design in the first post, I'd be using this speaker bar setup:
    [​IMG]

I have, however, gotten another idea that I may design up though, perhaps I could make a larger pop-up area for the speaker, I might be able to use the larger speakers and build an enclosure for them. I'll have to play around with some measurements and see how it would work out. I like the "neat" factor to the pop-up speaker, but as GuilleAcoustic mentioned it would sound better if I had a better enclosure (though the sound bar speaker I posted before should be less affected by the enclosure it's in)

Thanks for the input guys :thumb:

17. GuilleAcoustic

If you can find the information, the Vas parameter gives you the volume (in liter) required by the loudspeaker.

For example, those little 80mm Fostex FE87E need only 1.04L and are shielded.

[​IMG]

18. Mosquito

Been a while since I've been able to do anything on this project. I got busy, and then ended up flying across the country for a few days for work.

An update to this, I've got a set of 4 speakers (2x3" and 2x1.75"), and a USB powered amp that I have taken apart so I can examine the innards. I think if I go forward with this, that is what I'll be using for speakers.

I'm still looking for some design inspiration, if anyone has any suggestions for changes, or ideas I'd be more than happy to consider them :thumb:

19. Mosquito

For the first try at the music box, I'm going with this design, which is different from the other ones that I had posted before. It sort of looks like and old Apple II computer I guess.

[​IMG]

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things