Networks Powerline adapters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rowland, 28 Nov 2011.

1. Rowland

Rowland PC Gamer

can anyone give any advice as to how these work & what is the best option for a Mac ?

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I'm using some TPLINK ones right now, work quite well. No drop outs of connection and good connection speeds.

You need two so it's best to buy as a multipack. Bought mine from here work a treat.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Good deal ^^ There really isn't a 'best option for Mac', the network languages are the same no matter what platform you're on.

And they work by basically getting your network signal into your home electrics. So your house acts like a big switch, connecting everything together.

4. Rowland

Rowland PC Gamer

thank you very much for the good advice !

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have the same ones as MrDomRocks. They are great, I bought them from here for £35.99.

I get about 2.5mb throughput, but they are connected to a powerboard (which you aren't supposed to do)

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

My father in law uses four of the ebuyer specials and they work really well. They idle at low speeds but with use gradually quicken up to the point where they're not far off the rated 85Mbps speed. This is in a 70's detached house going from a socket near the front door to an office at the back, so not a huge run (maybe 12 metres or so). They don't appear to affect any other electrical appliances although if you use HAM radio you might be rather upset as they do introduce a lot of interference among certain bandwidths.

7. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

I got a free set when joining BT vision a few years back, awesome piece of kit, almost no lagg but 1 word of warning if using a guitar amp or any other speaker that is wired to the mains (baby monitors included) and you hear a ticking electrical sound dont be like me and take 2months to figure out its the plugs lol.

8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I have the same as Parge and MrDomrocks. Great little things and cheap enough!

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

This. The ebuyer appear to be the best value for money, I've used them a lot in different places without problems. If you are crossing between two fuse boxes they are liable not to work however, so just be careful with that - it applies to all powerline adapters.

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Heh Luckily I'm plugged into the same ring main, and they work when plugged into multi socket exstensions too. Both of mine are plugged into them and have no problems. They get a little warm which is understandable. I check on them once a week. Just plug and play and they work. Though you may need to run diagnose in Local Area Connection Status just the once for your system to renew the i.p address.

Did that once and havent had any complaints since. Better than being on wireless any day.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I got a set of Netgear adapters roughly a week ago and am pleased with how it's worked so far. As others have said, just plug and play. Just avoid using them on surge protectors and like any electronics give them some room to breathe.

12. hcharge

hcharge What's a Dremel?

D-Link 306AV & BT Vision Adapters

Hi there,

I have two of the D-Link 306AV Adapters running perfectly on my network, I've just bought BT Vision and it came with two of the Simpler Networks HP200PT64BT Adapters.

What I was wondering was, if there's a way to hook all four of these up together? I know it's a long shot as they're different brands...

Any help would be great,

Henry

13. PassingOut

PassingOut What's a Dremel?

Might be a bit late, but found this site.
    /http://www.abtek-llp.co.uk/
    Click tab at top that states 'How do I set them up'

hope this helps