bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Nov 2011, 08:56   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Asus Sabertooth X79 Review

LGA2011 has finally landed, so we've looked at Asus' most expensive Sabertooth motherboard yet.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...h-x79-review/1
Old 30th Nov 2011, 09:28   #2
K.I.T.T.
Hasselhoff™ Inside

K.I.T.T. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Conclusion
The Asus Sabertooth X79 is a treasure trove of useful and interesting features. It might cost more than other manufacturers' offerings but it has the best cooling, EFI and overclocking and monitoring software of any LGA2001 board we've seen.
2011?
Q6600 (G0) @ 3.40Ghz | 8GB G.Skill (5-5-5-15 2T) @ 533Mhz | Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 | DFI Lanparty UT X48-T2R | Galaxy DXX 1000W | 640GB WD Caviar Blue| 1TB Samsung F1 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | 250GB Deskstar
K.I.T.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 11:47   #3
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you remove all the fancy stuff it has the same performance as any other X79 board out there. I mean a 1 to 3 point difference is not noticed by anyone in real world use. If you remove all static benches and compare motherboards with no tools at all but common sense they would have all the same performances but one looks better then the other and that is just personal taste. Once it is in your PC nobody G.A.F. anymore.

Personally, i really do not care anymore what motherboard or memory is in my PC as long as it is cheap. It will last a few years and do a upgrade. You don't have to do it for the games, most of them are console ports anyway. And even MW3 runs perfectly fine with all 'ultra' on a GT460 on HD res on a Phenom quad core.

For 320 pounds you have a Asrock motherboard, 8GB mem, quadcore and a MSI 460 graphics cad that can play the latest games and is a fine and cheap daily use PC. That is just 65 pound more for the price you pay for this fancy motherboard alone. It is ridiculously expensive and for what?
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 12:21   #4
shaunster1011
Multimodder

shaunster1011 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
t is ridiculously expensive and for what?
Not everyone just plays games on there PC, you know?
Old 30th Nov 2011, 12:44   #5
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
So for £255, what kind of shelf life will that buy in terms of Intel releasing compatible CPU's, given their lamentable track record for changing sockets?.

I'll be moving over to a SandyBridge setup in the new year, but TBH, i think it makes more sense to buy a mid range £100-£150 Mobo and change it again in 12mths for a similar amount of money, rather than splurge £255 on a CPU socket that might be dumped by Intel in late 2012.

So, 2 mid range boards or 1 top end board now..?
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 13:05   #6
HandMadeAndroid
That's handy.

HandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh look another motherboard with silly gun design elements. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be a man.
i7 3770k, Asus P8Z77-I , 16gb Patriot 1866 ddr3,EVGA 670FTW, Bitfenix Prodigy,crucial M4 128ssd,western digital black 2tb storage, wacom intuos/ i7 sandy bridge kobalt 17" laptop,120ssd, 8gb crucial ram, 500gb7200 WD storage drive, nvidia 555m 3gb/64gb iPad 2
HandMadeAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 13:17   #7
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
So for £255, what kind of shelf life will that buy in terms of Intel releasing compatible CPU's, given their lamentable track record for changing sockets?.

I'll be moving over to a SandyBridge setup in the new year, but TBH, i think it makes more sense to buy a mid range £100-£150 Mobo and change it again in 12mths for a similar amount of money, rather than splurge £255 on a CPU socket that might be dumped by Intel in late 2012.

So, 2 mid range boards or 1 top end board now..?
Ivy Bridge E - due out around this time next year - will fit in LGA2011, as far as we know.

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 13:18   #8
K404
It IS cold and it IS fast

K404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid View Post
Oh look another motherboard with silly gun design elements. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be a man.
Where are the gun elements??
Old 30th Nov 2011, 13:52   #9
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
How noisy is the board with those two fans. I'm not keen of whiney 40mm jobbies, but it's been a while since I had one and perhaps the tech has improved.
Old 30th Nov 2011, 14:06   #10
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]For 320 pounds you have a Asrock motherboard, 8GB mem, quadcore and a MSI 460 graphics cad that can play the latest games and is a fine and cheap daily use PC. That is just 65 pound more for the price you pay for this fancy motherboard alone. It is ridiculously expensive and for what?
Some of us want to play Crysis on ultra high settings at 2560x1600 - with AA.
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 14:43   #11
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
How noisy is the board with those two fans. I'm not keen of whiney 40mm jobbies, but it's been a while since I had one and perhaps the tech has improved.
They're about as noisy any other ones but the Thermal Radar fan control software allows you to fine-tune the fan speed profiles to suit you.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 14:51   #12
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claave
Ivy Bridge E - due out around this time next year - will fit in LGA2011, as far as we know.
I was really thinking about what comes after Ivy Bridge, because i assume Ivy Bridge E will follow the same price structure (complete rip off) as the Sandy Bridge E's that have just been released...there is no way I'm paying £500+ for a CPU.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 15:09   #13
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Those CPU are oriented toward professionnal, not end-user. I look at them more as XEON substitute rather than Pentium. IMHO, the actual XEON lines doesn't differ to much from the core iX series (except some monitoring features and 2-way support for the higher ones). Real professionnal CPU is what Intel was lacking.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 15:32   #14
trig
god's little mistake

trig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
definitely a little homer-ism in that review...i get the added value of the fan software...but not that much...defo doesn't deserve a 21 of 25 for that price...bit's reviews in the past focus on general usage, with an addendum of some sort that "IF you are a heavy multi-threaded app user who needs the extra ram and software features, this is a decent deal for you but for the majority of users this just isn't the best value." this review felt more like "it doesn't matter what kind of a user you are, buy this board i wantz to make babies"...
i5-760 @ a modest 4.01 w/cm v6 gt..msi p55-gd80..8 gigs 1333 mhz ripjaws..sli'd msi twin frozr III gtx 570 @ 910 core 1100 memory..rv-02 case..corsair ax750..wd black 750 gb 32mb cache..1.5 tb 32mb cache..90 gb agility III ssd boot drive...60 gb callisto deluxe..logitech gx9 mouse..samsung 2253lw..
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 17:08   #15
HandMadeAndroid
That's handy.

HandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by K404
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid View Post
Where are the gun elements??
The 'magazine' heat-sink
i7 3770k, Asus P8Z77-I , 16gb Patriot 1866 ddr3,EVGA 670FTW, Bitfenix Prodigy,crucial M4 128ssd,western digital black 2tb storage, wacom intuos/ i7 sandy bridge kobalt 17" laptop,120ssd, 8gb crucial ram, 500gb7200 WD storage drive, nvidia 555m 3gb/64gb iPad 2
HandMadeAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 17:10   #16
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
definitely a little homer-ism in that review...i get the added value of the fan software...but not that much...defo doesn't deserve a 21 of 25 for that price...bit's reviews in the past focus on general usage, with an addendum of some sort that "IF you are a heavy multi-threaded app user who needs the extra ram and software features, this is a decent deal for you but for the majority of users this just isn't the best value." this review felt more like "it doesn't matter what kind of a user you are, buy this board i wantz to make babies"...
Errm you might want to re-read the final paragraph...

if you're not dealing with professional multi-threaded applications all the time, an LGA1155 system remains the better option
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 17:50   #17
trig
god's little mistake

trig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
Errm you might want to re-read the final paragraph...

if you're not dealing with professional multi-threaded applications all the time, an LGA1155 system remains the better option
errm...i did...you should re-read the post...i wasn't referring to platform recommendations...i was referring to the mobo recommendations...you don't have to be a professional multi-threaded app user to want an x79 system
i5-760 @ a modest 4.01 w/cm v6 gt..msi p55-gd80..8 gigs 1333 mhz ripjaws..sli'd msi twin frozr III gtx 570 @ 910 core 1100 memory..rv-02 case..corsair ax750..wd black 750 gb 32mb cache..1.5 tb 32mb cache..90 gb agility III ssd boot drive...60 gb callisto deluxe..logitech gx9 mouse..samsung 2253lw..
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 19:30   #18
debs3759
Was that a warranty I just broke?

debs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claave View Post
IB-E is definitely compatible with SB-E motherboards.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2...-E_socket.html
http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-iv...e-e/14006.html

HeatWare
debs3759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 19:31   #19
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
90% of the people speaking in this thread are not the target market.

If you want an x79 system for any other reason than multi threaded apps then you have more money than sence as the 2500k overclocked is still faster in 90% of all games tested.

£500 for a 6 core cpu still beats the £780 than intel want for a 980x or 990x for that matter.

if you need a 6 core cpu then £500 is pretty dam cheap compare it to the xeon systems out there which start from £4k Onwards on just cpus if you go high end. or you could go Amd they have an 8core for £230 ( but its out performed alot )

Thermal radar sounds awesome can we have a review of just that.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2011, 19:36   #20
debs3759
Was that a warranty I just broke?

debs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyandebs3759 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
<double post>

HeatWare

Last edited by debs3759; 30th Nov 2011 at 19:46. Reason: double post
debs3759 is offline   Reply With Quote