bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:29   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mince Pie Megatest 2011

We've eaten our way through 11 mince pies to bring you our recommendations.

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2011/12...pie-megatest/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:35   #2
kinghaves
What's a Dremel?

kinghaves has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
1st! Better head down to Landan for me mince pies then...
kinghaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:36   #3
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
A+++ would read again

Is there going to be a mince pie podcast?
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:39   #4
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Highlight of the Bit-Tech year!

Waitrose All-Butter for me, I'll be flbberghasted if I don't see the Bit-Tech seal of approval on the box from now on, it's clearly worth advertising such a prestigious achievement.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:39   #5
Jake123456
All hail Olivia Wilde!!

Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.Jake123456 is definitely a rep cheat.
I've never tried a Mincepie...about time I did..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending Credits View Post
If I ejaculated a 1.5TB HDD I'd probably do it again from the excitement.
Jake123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:42   #6
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
If there are any mince pie fans out there, the Greggs ones are also worth a look. Sadly they weren't around when we did the test!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:47   #7
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Shame! I'll repeat my claim that Lidl mince pies are up there with the finest, although I've yet to try this year's crop.

I'll have to give the Waitrose ones a try though, they look decent. A true bit-tech staple for the xmas season.
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:50   #8
sakzzz
Multimodder

sakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How do they OVERCLOCK....good ???
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:53   #9
spaceman1
Multimodder

spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.spaceman1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Home made are the best jest made 75 so far and dont think they will be around much longer with the kids
spaceman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:54   #10
tyepye
Hypermodder

tyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Glad that the waitrose all butter won the approved award. Got a local one in town and it was getting a bit silly having to drive 15 miles to the nearest Marks and Sparks to get my mince pies for the last couple of years
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:58   #11
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will definitely be popping to Waitrose to try their pies.

I think you should expand the mince pies test tbh, 10 just aren't enough. There aren't many Selfridges around the country, and most supermarkets have at least 2 own-brand versions. I know there was a reason given for Sainsbury's being absent, but I need more testing to be sure I'm getting the best pies!
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:10   #12
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like someone bet them to the testing, all the pie boxes are open and the Fortnum ones definitely has one missing!

Any chance of a review on Christmas Puddings? Have just bough a couple from my local co-op and can't wait to tuck in to them. Any suggestions on a good topping to pour over them?
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:10   #13
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
DIY for me. I still have a couple of jars of mincemeat from last year. Alas my preferred shortcrust pastry recipie seems have disappered from the net so I'll have to use the fussier one from with icing sugar instead of caster....
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:13   #14
barbary
What's a Dremel?

barbary has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really is nobody going to say it.

But will they run Crysis?
barbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:13   #15
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks for including a Gluten Free option in your roundup. Unfortunately they are representative of gluten free breaded / Patry based products as a whole. Dry and lacking flavour but RAMMED with sugar and fat.

It is getting quite annoying to find decent Gluten free products that are also "healthy" (yay for heart/liver condition as well as being a Coeliac! ). Most products are either crap or very high in sugar.

One comment I would say though, sometimes the quality can vary from batch to batch. I have had Tesco (DS own brand) Gluten Free Apple pies before that have been lovely whilst others bought a few weeks after (same brand) were awful.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:15   #16
mighty_pirate
Multimodder

mighty_pirate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
But can it play Crystmas?
mighty_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:15   #17
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Waitrose All Butter

If you're planning a large Yuletide soiree, complete with mulled wine, cider and punch, you'll want a pie that's not too pricey but that'll stand up for itself on the palette. Look further, as these pies pack a fruit-peel punch that'll keep your guests happy. There's a generous amount of tasty, flavoursome filling and the pastry holds together well.
Look NO further maybe?
Quote:
Marks and Spencer Classic

We usually look forward to the M&S Classics, as they've a strong track record of award-winning excellence. This is an off-year for the range though, as the pie tasted eggy and overcooked. The nugmeg highnotes might go nicely with a glass of eggnog, but the pie lacked punch and thus received a mediocre score.
Nutmeg maybe?

S'all I spotted. Merry Christmas Bit-Tubbies!
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:15   #18
mighty_pirate
Multimodder

mighty_pirate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbary
Really is nobody going to say it.

But will they run Crysis?
Oh bugger. Beaten to it!
mighty_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:16   #19
Sensei
Modder

Sensei has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is what its all about, this is why Im such an avid follower. The ultimate review of the year brought to us from the people who's opinions matter.
Legendary
Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:19   #20
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Gutted for Marks and Spencer, they've been the best pie per pound for a few years and have lost their way this year. Here's hoping they come back strong next year otherwise without the competition Selfridges and Waitrose will just rip us off and put their prices up. I'll still be buying M&S this year anyway so I can support the little guy.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote