bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Dec 2011, 11:33   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork Review

Is the Ankh-Morpork board game a classic, or do we wish the History Monks would erase it from time?

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2011/...rpork-review/1
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 11:57   #2
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm surprised this is the first I'm hearing of it. I suppose I'll have to ask the Hogfather for one this year.
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 12:11   #3
Nickel
What's a Dremel?

Nickel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Paul, you are awesome for doing this review. That is all.
Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 12:36   #4
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Terry Pratchet is the Jonathan Swift of our age. Only better.

A pity there's no way I could get any of my friends or family anywhere near a board game, as I would love to play this, especially after that review...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 12:41   #5
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
A pity there's no way I could get any of my friends or family anywhere near a board game, as I would love to play this, especially after that review...
Same here. Don't stand a chance; I might get to play it once (if lucky) but then it'd never get played again.

Does is say anywhere in it/on it who did the artwork? Doesn't look like Josh Kirby's work...
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 13:01   #6
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I doubt it would be, he died in 2001.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 13:03   #7
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes View Post
I doubt it would be, he died in 2001.
Didn't know that.
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 13:19   #8
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Paul Kidby now does the artwork for the Discworld books, (so assuming he did this as well).
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 16:45   #9
favst89
Supermodder

favst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent I didn't know about this but now I want it.
I have Thud and much like in the books its quite difficult to play both sides well.

Quote:
It could come with a pointy hat that says Wizard on it
Should this not be "Wizzard"?
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 19:34   #10
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
Paul, you are awesome for doing this review. That is all.
No problem, it was a pleasure, if only they were all this easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by favst89 View Post
Should this not be "Wizzard"?
Ha ha, yes it should. It actually was before a certain editor got hold of it, I'll change it back.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2011, 01:21   #11
Wavefront
Multimodder

Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.Wavefront is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks for reviewing this paul, im a big discworld fan but I had no idea this existed its defiantly going on my hogswatch list
PS: the artists called Peter Dennis
Old 4th Dec 2011, 05:24   #12
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for president
Hum... I've never heard of Discworld or Terry Pratchet. Guess this somehow missed me over all the years that I was immersed in other books of the fantasy genre. Googled it though and it does sound intriguing. I just might have to pick up the first book the next time I go shopping.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2011, 06:25   #13
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
Hum... I've never heard of Discworld or Terry Pratchet. Guess this somehow missed me over all the years that I was immersed in other books of the fantasy genre. Googled it though and it does sound intriguing. I just might have to pick up the first book the next time I go shopping.
you'll find the first book to be dangerous for the wallet, for it will be empty and a spare bookshelf full afterwards.
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2011, 10:22   #14
TraumaticHug
Multimodder

TraumaticHug has yet to learn the way of the DremelTraumaticHug has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc View Post
It's weird going back to the first books as some of the characters are quite different, especially Death in The Colour of Magic. It is also fun(ny) to see how much his writing has improved over the years.

I gave my Dad the first book and he wasn't too impressed, but I hope he sticks with it. While the earlier books are not required reading to enjoy the more recent, they definitely make it a much richer experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T

Same here. Don't stand a chance; I might get to play it once (if lucky) but then it'd never get played again.
I also have this problem.. the only other person I know into Terry Pratchett moved down to England ..may still get it though for that one glorious game with the family on Boxing Day ^_^
Old 4th Dec 2011, 13:29   #15
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
I see a bit-tech Ankh-Morpork ring in the making

Too bad i don't live in the UK, or I'd have a go at setting it up...
Old 4th Dec 2011, 14:15   #16
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Bah Humbug, play a real mans game, like Hide and Seek.....
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 10:33   #17
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
By Jingo, that sounds awesome.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 11:20   #18
Journeyer
Mod Master

Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Seems interesting.

Although...
Fourth paragraph: "...summoning a hoard of marauding demons." I will state, for the record, that I am unsure whether or not the actual marauding demons are hoarders, but I feel confident when I ask if that should not be "horde" instead.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX || FX-8150BE || 16Gb Corsair DDR3 1866Mhz || 2xGTX285 SLI || 2xOCZ Agility 3 120Gb RAID0 for OS
Journeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 12:17   #19
Digibull
Stealth Geek

Digibull has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I saw this, half choked on my lunch, forwarded it to my g/f and my mum (both huge TP fans) and proceeded to hunt the internet for somewhere I can buy this right the hell now! It's 30 quid on amazon, can anyone recommend another online retailer where the costs is closer to whats quoted by Bit-tech?
Digibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 13:14   #20
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.boardgameclub.co.uk/index...0ea65c47c5bc81
from the link on the top of the review

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote