bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 5th Dec 2011, 05:50   #1
cillerbee
Minimodder

cillerbee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Upgrade to 2700K or New Monitor & w/ for Ivy Bridge

I was debating whether I should upgrade to the i7 2600k/2700K or get the Samsung S27A950d monitor and wait for Ivy Bridge to upgrade.

I am getting mixed opinions regarding whether Ivy bridge is worth the wait or not so I was looking for some input from you all. Thanks

My current rig:

Processor:Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw 12GB 1600MHz
MB: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
VGA: 2x Sapphire HD6950 @ 6970 Shaders in Crossfire
Monitor: Samsung S27A350
PSU: 750W Enermax NAXN 82+
Case: CoolerMaster HAF X
SSD: Corsair F90 90GB , 2 x OCZ Vertex 30GB
HDD: WD 640 GB x 3
cillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 07:33   #2
LennyRhys
Air Cooled

LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.
Depends what your budget is. If you're prepared to spend 500 on a monitor then you should consider getting the Dell U2711 instead of that Samsung - take advantage of the PC's ability to output very high resolutions. It's not a console, so there are more display options than gimmicky 1080p!!!

I nearly upgraded to 2600K recently but I'm glad I didn't... I have instead bought a hexcore CPU to play with for a couple of weeks. My intention is to sell it when finished (I already did it this summer with the i7 970) however if it's a good un I might be very tempted to keep it... the X58 platform is still extremely capable and I'm certainly in no rush to move away from it quite yet!
LennyRhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 07:56   #3
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.
I agree. Keep the 920 setup for now, and wait for IB-E. Pete J did this and said it felt more like a side-grade than a upgrade.

I've been thinking about upgrading to the 3960X but, after some tests, it was only 5-10% faster clock for clock with my 990X. Also allot less when gaming.

As for the monitor, I would go for a Dell U2711 if you are wanting to spend that amount.
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 07:57   #4
flame696
Terminating People Since 1980....

flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.
I agree with LennyRhys I think your best off get a monitor like the 27" Dell and making use of the the 2 x 6950s. The 920 is still a great CPU that still holds it own and to be honest in real world applications you won't see much difference, but with a monitor you will get so much more real estate which comes in handy

Edit: Damn you Simon, ninj'd
flame696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 07:57   #5
cillerbee
Minimodder

Where I live the S27A950D is going for about 430 including vat. and the Dell U2711 about 690 inc. Vat.

Where as the i7 2600k upgrade with an asus gen3 z68 mainboard will cost me 445 including vat. So im trying to stay within then 400 - 450 range. Sorry I should have mentioned that earlier.
Old 5th Dec 2011, 08:00   #6
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.
If that is the case, I would recommend seeing these guys about a Dell U2711. Clicky Clicky
I highly recommend them.
Old 5th Dec 2011, 08:10   #7
LennyRhys
Air Cooled

LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.
Was gonna suggest them - Ninja'd by Simon
Phun: E8200 @ 4 :: Asus P5Q-E :: 2GB Cellshock :: X1950XT 256 :: CWT 400W
LennyRhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 08:40   #8
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

Sorry...You may need to improve your Ninja skills.
Old 5th Dec 2011, 11:32   #9
digitalerr0r
Multimodder

digitalerr0r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I say just keep waiting for ivy release and get the cpu and or there might be a better monitor during that time (:
digitalerr0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2011, 15:51   #10
cillerbee
Minimodder

Alright thanks for all the input guys. I will wait for ivy bridge and attempt to get the monitor you all recommended. Problem is I live overseas and shipping + vat makes it a costly buy but I'll scour some local retailers.

Tags
2600k, i7, ivy, s27a950d, samsung