1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress 2001 - A Case Modyssey - New plans = New Render Video!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ASPHIAX, 10 Dec 2011.

1. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

[​IMG]

2001 - A Case Modyssey

I can still remember the first time I saw the movie when I was 11 years old.

It was on an old black and white antenna tv, the sound turned almost off so my parents wouldnt hear it as I wasnt supposed to be up that late, but it didnt matter... I was there, I was at Clavius Moonbase, I pulled HAL's memory modules, I was the monkey that cracked the skull of the rival leader. This is the movie that got me hooked on SCIFI . Stanley Kubricks's EPIC interpretation of the vastness of space, The sense of reality with which the film is shot, the 2 minute blackscreen intro, the special effects, the far reaching concepts, and good god ... the books by Sir Arthur C Clark were even better!

Anyway, after the build of the USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class (It only needs a good paintjob) I got in contact with the Dutch Modder Nixjuh. We started talking about our passion for SCIFI on the SCIFI OCD group and he showed me some of his work. His artistic skills are off the charts and we soon started brainstorming on how we could use his drawing and sculpting skills on a tribute pc to one of our favorite movies.

Here's what came out of those sessions :

[​IMG]

3D model of the inside of the case

The shape of the Case resembles the Monolith TWA-1 from the movie. We could not keep the 1².2².3² dimensions without making the case huge or to thin for any hardware, so we ended up with a design that was 80cm high, 43 cm wide and 18 cm deep. In real life the monolith shape does come out a bit better then in this 3d render.

So what's inside: (some of these are not confirmed yet)

BlackIce GT Extreme 560 Radiator

6 x 140 mm fan (4 for the 560 rad and 2 for intake)

Motherboard AMD

watercooled AMD 1090T processor

2 x watercooled 580GTX in SLI mode

2 x SSD

Custom reservoir with picture of Arthur C Clark

Bitspower fittings

Aircooled RAM

1200 Watt PSU

[​IMG]

The inside of the case has been designed to resemble the inside of the HAL9000 computer. The scene where Dave Bowman disconnects HAL's memory modules and makes him sing a song as a means of a factory default is nothing short of brilliant.!

[​IMG]

The frame will be made of Pine and MDF. We would have liked to use ALU but we dont have any means of working the metal. The visible inside of the case will be designed around a full cover plexiglass sheet covering most of the hardware (creating a closed well ventilated room) with numerous frosted red/white illuminated plexi memory modules and black/red shades to finish it off. The 580GTX 's will be covered by a plexi encasing resembling the HAL9000 interface.

[​IMG]

The outside is where Nixjuh will show his considerable talent! Special engravings of 10 of the most impressive scenes from the movie will cover the clean and featureless black metal hood that will be placed over the internal frame. We have something special in mind for the on/off and reset buttons and side window but we cant tell too much about that yet. We can tell you that the casing will be put onto a rocky platform with several USB ports integrated into it and that "the dawn of man" is its main design criteria. We cant tell you how much fun we already have had designing and preparing for the build and hope that you'll be as eager as we are to find out how the concept will evolve and grow.

Here's an update on the work done so far !

[​IMG]

ASPHIAX en NIXJUH

Last edited: 19 Apr 2012
    adidan likes this.
  2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Current state :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Feb 2012
  3. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Ok so here goes !

First, we have changed the buidling material from MDF and PINE to Aluminium. And boy did that make a difference. I build a large part of the frame but the feeling it was to light creeped up on us and after doing some homework we decided to go for alu. This did ment having to invest in some tools but I AM SO HAPPY we did. What a material, I know I will probably never go back to MDF again (except when there's a good reason)

Anyway , here is the MDF / PINE frame

[​IMG]

The 3D design did come in handy now, easily got all the measurments from the design and was sent to the ALU vendor.

[​IMG]

So what have we got? 12x12 mm square rod ..

[​IMG]

And 2mm ALU panel ..

[​IMG]

First sized up one of the major defining elements, the massive BlackIce GT 560 Extreme !

[​IMG]

It should fit with a couple of mm left after the rods have been placed, we will see !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already have most of the hardware so a quick test fitting to see how she goes ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only had green and 120mm enermax fans , they will be exchanged for 140mm red's !

One of the toughest things (IMO) to do if finding the right locations for the fan holes and screws ..

[​IMG]

Couple of hours later, and a whole lot of sanding and filing ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple of hours later, man that aluminium works great !

[​IMG]

And the final state for tonight, got a good day tomorrow also ! Will be traveling to Nixjuh (30KM) and work on the frame from there. He has got something very (VERY) cool to show !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the monolith is born, Imagine all black alu and red enermax behind the rad ... Could look cool I think !

[​IMG]

Laters !

4. P3rRRrY

P3rRRrY What's a Dremel?

Great start. Subscribed!

5. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I LOVE THIS! Following along!

Best name for a mod, ever.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This looks very interesting and if it comes out like the renders, it's going to be epic.

7. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks ! We will be updating regularly !

Ha, thanks man ! We thought it would add a funny twist to it !

8. OmightyOne

OmightyOne Minimodder

Great! looking good, cant wait to see what it will end up as!

9. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks, first time for me with ALU so a bit of a learning curve but its going along ok.
    We havent decided to cover all the hardware by a plexi plate or keep the hardware visible like this :
    [​IMG]

Thanks! Stay tuned and find out !

10. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Nice start! I'll follow this:)

11. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks bro! Cant wait for your "planned" build, lol!

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

You had me at "Custom reservoir with picture of Arthur C Clark". Gotta see that. :thumb:

13. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Yeah, we might change that to "picture of Arthur C Clark and Stanley Kubrick" as they are both the fathers of this movies, it wouldnt be the same if you take out either one.

Just gotta find a good one of both of them together, that would be sweet !

Thanks !

ps Actually this one might do. Its even on the set of 2001
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Dec 2011
  14. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

sub'd also thought that was going to be a MASSIVE hot swap SSD RAID there lol

15. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks! All the white plexi would be SSD's? SWEET !! Cost a bundle though!

matiss likes this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

+Rep for the title Sander, let alone the great work as always mate. :thumb:

17. Nixjuh

Nixjuh What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody,
    First of all I will introduce myself a little and tell you my place in this build. I ran into Asphiax when I came looking for the EURISKO. Then we started talking about our passion for SCI-FI and came up with the idea for this build. The first weeks we only did a lot of brainstorming to come up with a good and unique concept. As you saw in the start post above, Asphiax made some awesome 3D renders and started building the case. Yesterday I saw it for the first time and it really shows some craftsmanship and quality! This case will be about the fun of building and learning new skills.

And this is where I come in, I will be doing most of the artwork on the outside of the case. There will be 10 engravings on the outside of the case, which will all resemble a scene from the movie. Also there will be some real 3D features on the outside, but that’s something for later (hence the censored on the photo) But remember, this is just a mock-up for the placing and the content of the engravings, the final engravings will not feature shadow or colors or anything ofcourse.

We want to give our special thanks to Simon Atkinson, who let us use some of his artwork for the engravings, he does some amazing artwork, model making and drawing! Be sure to check out his website

Today we will show you our plans for the engravings so here we go!

This is a 3D render of the case including the outside casing.
    [​IMG]
    The front will show a picture of the apes touching the monolith, and the astronaut inside a tunnel.
    [​IMG]
    On the top we will have an engraving of the Discovery 1.
    [​IMG]
    And in the back it will feature the rising moon and the astronaut inside the centrifuge in Discovery 1.
    [​IMG]
    Now for the two largest panels.
    The one on the back of the motherboard plate will be fully covered and show a picture of earth, the star-child looking down to earth and station V shooting out the Orion spacecraft
    [​IMG]
    And the last but most certainly not least side will have a plexiglass window in the shapes of some tears in the metal. This has to do with our own chimera, in which the ape finally manages to damage the monolith. Hence the theme “The rise and fall of men”. It will also feature an engraving of the EVA .
    [​IMG]
    And an overall layout of all the engravings to give you a better understanding.
    [​IMG]
    And the final feature will stay a mystery for now, but we will keep you posted!

18. Nixjuh

Nixjuh What's a Dremel?

This week we will buy all the equipment we need for the engravings and start with some test pieces, then lay out all the designs and start the real work!

Last edited: 13 Dec 2011
  19. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks man ! We thought it would be appropriate ! LOL

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Wow! This is awesome! I can only hope that once it's complete Windows startup/shutdown/error sounds are changed to HAL's voice, 'I'm afraid I can't do that Dave' is probably already used as the error message on thousands of PC's but this one needs it.