bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Dec 2011, 11:30   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Corsair H80 Review

Corsair's H80 aims squarely at the gap between high-end air cooling and low-end water cooling.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...r-h80-review/1
Old 15th Dec 2011, 11:38   #2
Ratchet219
Modder

Ratchet219 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow, finally some useful info from bit-tech! Well done guys. Keep up good work!
Old 15th Dec 2011, 11:41   #3
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If as quoted 'For Socket AM3+ and LGA1155 owners, Antec's Kühler H20 920 costs and performs the same and has the benefit of software fan control making it the better buy.' How do you justify the Corsair's score of 83% against Antec's score of 81%?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 12:01   #4
improprietary
FT03 is a bitch to watercool

improprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
fyi this fits in a silverstone ft03 and can be run as intake fan with low ram blocks... barely
Old 15th Dec 2011, 12:12   #5
Zombie
Minimodder

Zombie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
If as quoted 'For Socket AM3+ and LGA1155 owners, Antec's Kühler H20 920 costs and performs the same and has the benefit of software fan control making it the better buy.' How do you justify the Corsair's score of 83% against Antec's score of 81%?
Because percentage points at the end of a review are an arbitrary idea that really have no comparative value. Summarising a 3 page review with one (or even 3) numbers makes little to no sense but us consumers demand it.

I'm sure the reviewers find that the most pointless part of the reviews and it only causes trouble with cross comparisons. After all, they're journalists not accountants.
Old 15th Dec 2011, 12:19   #6
mikewd
What's a Dremel?

mikewd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So it beats an arbitrary single air cooler? Why not test it against the best air cooler? These cheap pre-built water coolers seem to do a very good job of covering up the fact that they are a very mediocre price/performance competitor against top range air coolers.

2nd point: These new intel ads are enough to make me start using other websites for reviews.
mikewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 12:20   #7
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Honestly, I think that the WC is part of the past...
I had it when I had a Q6600(B3)@3.2Ghz and a HD4870 (that was toasty)...
SB's don't need that much of a cooling, and the new gpu's come with great coolers or are "fresh" by them selves.
Maybe Ivy's are the market for these coolers, but even then u have great air coolers that are cheaper than these and totally silent (I have a friend that complains his water pump is noisy with one of these new WC systems, Corsair and Kuhler)
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 12:50   #8
RobJapan
Minimodder

RobJapan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewd
So it beats an arbitrary single air cooler? Why not test it against the best air cooler? These cheap pre-built water coolers seem to do a very good job of covering up the fact that they are a very mediocre price/performance competitor against top range air coolers.

2nd point: These new intel ads are enough to make me start using other websites for reviews.
Adblock should be your new best friend.
RobJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 12:53   #9
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
We've re-built all our test rigs since we tested the Kühler H20 920, as mentioned on the performance page - as such, the results and conclusions in the H80 review are more up to date and are based on different systems than those we used in the Kühler review which went live in July.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 13:26   #10
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Quote:
We've re-built all our test rigs since we tested the Kühler H20 920, as mentioned on the performance page - as such, the results and conclusions in the H80 review are more up to date and are based on different systems than those we used in the Kühler review which went live in July.
So the Antec would score higher now in the new systems? That seems odd. Still doesn't add up to your recommendation that the Antec is a better option than the Corsair.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 13:38   #11
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Quote:
So the Antec would score higher now in the new systems? That seems odd. Still doesn't add up to your recommendation that the Antec is a better option than the Corsair.
We're using different tests on our systems so cooling scores and value scores are affected. In addition, the Antec's score is based upon a combined score for both the test systems we used at the time, while with the Corsair H80, we've extrapolated individual scores for each CPU socket, so you can't really compare the two.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 14:17   #12
jon
Multimodder

jon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
+1

I fail to see the cost / performance value of WC setups on modern SB chips. Perhaps on AMD's, as I'm not up to date on their heat generation. But it's almost as if the SB design is so heat efficient that WC setups are no longer necessary (for the CPU). Still plenty of heat on high-end GPU's ...

-J
Old 15th Dec 2011, 15:08   #13
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.
Currently my H80 is sat in it's box not getting used because my air cooler perform's better.

It was good until I overclocked my old I7 920 or I7 950 which on either machine and overheated at 1.25v with 2 high cfm fans on it.

I honestly cannot recommend it to anyone and instead recommend either a good air cooler or a custom water loop.

I'll stick to my Akasa Venom Pro on my 2500K as it get's to 70c per core but with the H80 hit's 60c not worth the hassle and noise.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 16:21   #14
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
My old H50 is keeping my i7 920 stable @ 4.3GHz, not had any issue with it. Maybe because my 840 case has 2 mahoosive exhaust fans at the top.
Old 15th Dec 2011, 16:54   #15
Diellur
Minimodder

Diellur has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When will we see a review of the H100 and a comparison of closed-loop water-coolers?
Diellur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 17:02   #16
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.CrapBag is definitely a rep cheat.
Would have been nice to see how much difference it made fitting it as an exhaust.

I'm considering buying this or the 920 and leaning towards the H80 being that the 920 seems like a noisy beast but I could only fit it as an exhaust in my case.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 17:14   #17
OzThe2
What's a Dremel?

OzThe2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJapan
Quote:

Adblock should be your new best friend.
Awesome - Adblock is now my best friend. Thanks for that tip. The site is so much cleaner now I could eat my dinner off it!
OzThe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 17:28   #18
RedFlames
Bringer of Meh

RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapBag
Would have been nice to see how much difference it made fitting it as an exhaust.

I'm considering buying this or the 920 and leaning towards the H80 being that the 920 seems like a noisy beast but I could only fit it as an exhaust in my case.
If memory serves they tried the h60 both ways and while it did cool better as an intake the difference wasn't that great

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 20:03   #19
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Wow, nice one! Wasn't expecting H80 to be reviewed after all this time. Better later than never.

While the review was nice, some things could have been added to make it really outstanding, such as:
  • comparative pictures of previous generation Corsair H-series coolers (H50 & H70), current generation (H60 & H100), similar products from competitors (Antec). Would have been nice to see the width the the radiators on all of these in a single picture, the size of the pumps, length of the tubes, etc.
  • your impressions on the build quality (has it improved over the previous generation or the competition?)
  • noise should be treated more in depth. fans and pump.

Or are you guys preparing all of these aspects for a closed-loop-liquid-CPU-cooler roundup? That would be ... (as much as I hate using this word) awesome!

On another note, how did you guys get rid of two mounting brackets? (hope that's what they're called) The videos on the Corsair website show the H80 has four of them and angled at 45 degrees with the sides of the square pump. In your pictures, there can only be seen two of them and they are perpendicular to the sides.
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2011, 21:30   #20
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So how well will this cool my i7 950 since there was no tests on the socket? I have a thermaltake frio currently.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote