bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 25th Jul 2012, 02:31   #61
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Specs are yelling eeeeeeeee peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen in my face, not the first though.

Nice quality build & ridiculous specs, congrats subbed.

stars & rep for a godzilla rig.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2012, 09:47   #62
Gaming_freak_10
Hypermodder

Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.
I hope this project hasn't been shelved!! PLEASE UPDATE!!!!
Originally Posted by creative View Post
if you dont draw blood whilst working on a car... then your not doing it correctly! That and learning the mechanics language... Basically swearing at it until it fits, whilst drawing blood...
Gaming_freak_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2012, 12:47   #63
B NEGATIVE
All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

B NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
SR-2.

Nuff said.

He hasnt updated the Specialtech thread either...must be busy.
B NEGATIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 04:00   #64
dotdrew
Minimodder

dotdrew has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The above posts only just made me realise how long this hasn't been updated in. I was wondering why he was using 580's haha. Anyone know if he finished it or what?
dotdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 10:46   #65
Bitwacker
C# forever

Bitwacker has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow. SR-2! This is going to be amazing.
Old 27th Jun 2013, 23:26   #66
The Boy Riley
Minimodder

The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Evening, its been a while.

Firstly excuses

Got a grown up job, moved house, desk stayed put, now work in a different part of the country to where I moved to... (with the desk nicely placed smack in the middle)

On with the good bit,

put it back together and make some holes for wires...

Also some holes for tubes...

And more wires...

Add some bits n pieces

Sata Cables

I needed to raise the SSDs up by about 6 mm so the plugs fir correctly were I'm putting them, so I made these plinths for them that turned out rather well

Hopefully they'll look good once they get anodised too (brushed first)

Got a few of the more wierd and wonderful bolts I needed too...

Then my sleeving arrived...

Decided to sleeve the power cables that go under the cards in the SATA sleeving, which turned out really well.

I had hoped to use the bitfenix extensions I had managed to get hold of... but they looked too different to the sleeving I was using, so I made the executive decision to re-sleeve them...

A few people commented on how long the sleeving took... this may have been why... also if you sit down and work out how may cables are in this desk... you'll realise why this was a soul crushing exercise.

but...

it looks so much better for it

Dual PSU link sorted too.

and after running out of sleeving... got some more and daisy chained all the fans

usb cable here looks a bit grubby, I may have to do something about that...

and then put some better sleeving on the PSU...

Now for the bits you don't really see every day...

The issue of the screen stand I haven't really touched yet, the problem being, I cannot have my screen mounted to the wall as some desk builds do and I refuse to have a dirty great screen covering my motherboard that I've gone to great lengths to have in the middle.

So I got a triple monitor stand... then the upright...

needed to be bigger...

Make a push fit bung with a copy of the thread

and you get a 2.4m monitor stand... (shortest piece of that strength Aluminium I could get )

now for again a more fun bit, another issue, I have a set of 5.1 speakers that I love, so how will these go on? well, make a drop in mount on top of your screen stand, this was really fun to make, probably one of my favourite parts so far.

So now my speaker can perch above my screen without wall mounting, which will keep my land-lord happy.

A new addition to the workshop made this next piece very simple, everyone, Id like you to meet the future of "home" pc builds...

and it does things like this...

then you swap some bolts around

and after a while

Put some more holes in the back of the desk and voila...

A screen stand clamp, with floor plate

That's about it for now, this has been going on for a while but I'll be up at home sleeving the last (hopefully) of the PSU modular cables this weekend.

Then just the finer details to be done before coating the metal... I've hopefully got access to a polishing machine so I can brush the frame before it gets anodised too

Cheers everyone who's still interested, more to come.

Sam.
The Boy Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 00:27   #67
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Lovely update!
Old 28th Jun 2013, 08:51   #68
dream1
Multimodder

dream1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
m8 it just getting better and better
dream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 09:48   #69
B NEGATIVE
All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

B NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Looking good fella!
I was beginning to think this project got shelved.....

I am looking at at a mill too,got a great price on an Interact series 2.....just need somewhere to put it ....
B NEGATIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:30   #70
andrew8200m
All of the hilarious

andrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Looking pretty sweet man!
andrew8200m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 12:04   #71
LegendaryScott
Trying to live up to the name

LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Completely missed this one
annnnddd ...... subbed. definitely subbed!

There should be a new emoticon for stuff like this
:homerdrool:

Love desk builds. Really wish I had the skill and craftsmanship to make one like this.

All the sleeve looks amazing by the way.

Cant wait to see more of this
PROJECT#001 - ON EXTENDED HIATUS DUE TO NEW BABY!!
LegendaryScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 18:52   #72
Hukkel
James' minion

Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice update, good work and good luck!
Hukkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 19:59   #73
KoSoVaR^
Professional Sleever & Modder

KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
this update made my day !
KoSoVaR^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 22:53   #74
Jeti
Minimodder

Jeti has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice. Subbed
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2013, 00:14   #75
The Boy Riley
Minimodder

The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.The Boy Riley is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Evening, been a bit busy as usual, working, holidays, moving house again, the usual stuff that gets in the way.

Firstly, my apologies for the quality of the pictures, the DSLR that I've been using is on it's holidays at the minute.

So...

Bored out the screen stand to fit the extension bar from the last update

This meant I could put the new screen on to cut the pole to length once I'd measured up with the speaker

Should be getting the side screens this week and I'll be mounting the left/right speakers to those

So I've been making my way through the little jobs that are finishing touches, ideally I wanted to do these whilst it was getting coated etc, but I was waiting on a few more bits n pieces.

Firstly a bit of a rant I never had at the time. If anyone else has used the EK SR-2 water block, you will be aware of the spacer shipped with the block. The instructions for which are shown below.

As you can see... it shows an EK compression fitting and the 3mm spacer that is in the box...

Here's the thing; if you compare the length of the thread on an EK compression fitting to the thread on an EK barb fitting, you will notice that the thread on the barb is about 1.5 mm longer than a compression. so this happens.

without "unreasonable" force you cannot get this fitting into the block.

HOWEVER... EK do (or did) sell a 1.8 mm spacer which you can buy separately. My point is this, if you're going to tell me I can use your fittings in the instructions, at least draw the instructions with a type of fitting that will actually work.

rant over... handily with the liberal application of a lathe you can work around this, just slap a fitting in and take a couple of mm off. I'm sure not that many people have this issue, but even less of those will have a lathe handy to fix it.

Problem solved and it didn't involve me shipping a spacer from Slovenia

The Bulkhead fittings needed shortening down as they were huge

And then finished off the sleeving

I had a quick test run of the soft felt topping to the frame which the glass will sit on

Finally one of the last pieces, got some grills for the underside of the rads, I was going to strip off the black anodising and redo it red to match the frame. But its just so pretty as is, I might just let it blend in to the black underside.

Old 27th Aug 2013, 13:49   #76
dream1
Multimodder

dream1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Holy crap u r back and dam your desk looks good
dream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 12:11   #77
The Boy Riley
Minimodder

Soon...

Hello!

Busy weekend, I was planning on having the desk finished by the 20th, as I'll be moving into my new place, but it doesnt look like ill be able to get the metal work polished this week, so it may take an extra week or two to get the coating and anno sorted.

BUT

In theory, the metal work and building.... is done... the last of this was the side speaker stands.

First, turned some bits to mimic the current base for the speakers

Milling a slot in the back of these at the right angle to have the speaker vertical, then drill n tap the mounting holes

Then for the extension bars

Made some conical washers for mounting the bars onto the groove in the screen stand

That's it for this weekend, this lot took a bit longer than expected and I only had one day for desking this weekend.

Next week should be taking it all apart and I've got a plan to make the DVD drive a bit more entertaining too, so ill have a bash at that.

One word.... Soon...

Sam.
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 12:16   #78
The Boy Riley
Minimodder

Also neglected to mention, the more astute of you will notice the secondary screens arrived
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 13:34   #79
KoSoVaR^
Professional Sleever & Modder

KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
its getting better and better !
KoSoVaR^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 15:16   #80
Hukkel
James' minion

Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Okay those monitor and speaker stands are awesome.
Hukkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desk, sr-2, sr-2 desk, the boy riley

View Mode