bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 24th Apr 2012, 22:11   #141
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's not a computer case, it's a heating system for your home.

Looks good, but wow is it big. It's pretty bad when those boards look lost in there.

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 19:16   #142
stren
Multimodder

stren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
That's not a computer case, it's a heating system for your home.

Looks good, but wow is it big. It's pretty bad when those boards look lost in there.
Yeah I realized early on I'd have difficulty filling the space, that's partly why I ended up running 4 loops!
stren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 19:16   #143
stren
Multimodder

Alright so more photos taking the old rig apart - we left off by removing the pci cards and the power supply:

So now let's remove the cpu block and check the tim spread:

Not the best but not awful. Now time to take the motherboard out:

Out it comes:

Which leaves a sad empty and dusty case!

Now it's time to take apart the rad setup:

Remove the steel bars:

Then the fans:

I noticed one side of the rads now had white stains on them, these were the sides on the top:

Compared side by side to the underside (bottom rad):

Anyone know what that is?
Old 26th Apr 2012, 19:25   #144
Big Elf
I am even more invisible than usual

Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.Big Elf is definitely a rep cheat.
Just a guess but possibly where the paint has come off to reveal the solder holding the fins on.
Case Labs TH10│Asus Rampage III Extreme│Core i7 990X 4.6GHz│24GB Corsair Dominator GT 1964MHz│NVIDIA GTX580 Tri-SLI│Crucial M4 128GB x 2│Seagate Momentus 1TB x 2│SeaSonic P1000W│EK Supremacy│EK FC-RE3│EK FC-580 GTX x 3│EK-RAM Dominator│Black Ice SR-1 480 x 3Swiftech 35X2
Big Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 20:40   #145
Chanc3
Minimodder

Chanc3 has yet to learn the way of the DremelChanc3 has yet to learn the way of the DremelChanc3 has yet to learn the way of the DremelChanc3 has yet to learn the way of the DremelChanc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
First time I've been on in ages, great project log to read! Will try and visit more often!
Chanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 00:43   #146
stren
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanc3 View Post
First time I've been on in ages, great project log to read! Will try and visit more often!
Thanks

Thanks also for the ideas guys. Here's a close up, you can scratch it off with a fingernail:

Old 27th Apr 2012, 04:04   #147
avolla
Hackintosher

avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Amazing work so far on this. Have you considered renting space in that thing to a homeless person?? Can't wait to see the finished product.
avolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 19:45   #148
stren
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolla View Post
Amazing work so far on this. Have you considered renting space in that thing to a homeless person?? Can't wait to see the finished product.
Lol thanks
Old 27th Apr 2012, 19:47   #149
stren
Multimodder

Well I haven't done any more on it yet. Still working through the photos from the last two weeks. So here's another update...

So we left off with the antec 300 emptied out, here's another shot of it next to the TX10 now that it's empty:

I was also now left with a big stack of fans. This is without the 15 fans that have already been used in the TX10:

Now I could start rebuilding the gaming rig into the TX10:

Adding the 120 rad for the motherboard loop:

Testing that it still fits in the case:

Soon it must be time to start tidying up before I get slapped!

However first I need to get my work computer up. The free 360 is being used for the workstation motherboard/ram/gpu loop and will sit approximately here:

So now to take apart the loop that was leak testing in order to add the rad:

I changed out the 45 degree bitspower compression on the GPU as it felt like it had a slight leak in in that position, so it has a temporary barb, I also removed the pump sticker. It's much cleaner now, and who needs an overpriced dress kit

That's all for now!
Old 27th Apr 2012, 23:21   #150
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If your significant other/roommate hasn't left yet, you owe them something big for not finding a new home for those steak knives after that.

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700
Old 28th Apr 2012, 18:13   #151
stren
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
If your significant other/roommate hasn't left yet, you owe them something big for not finding a new home for those steak knives after that.
Haha yes she's been very understanding lol

So now I have a question about sleeving, I'm getting grey, titanium grey, black and red from mdpc and wondering the best pattern to do, what do you think?

Old 28th Apr 2012, 22:42   #152
leslie
Just me!

I like option F the most.
Lighter colors on the ends will make the cable appear smaller, as it blends with the case. The black on each side of the red frames it. If you had a black case, G would do this better.

With red sata cables, it should sort of give the illusion of similar cabling throughout the case.

Old 29th Apr 2012, 18:08   #153
stren
Multimodder

Thanks Leslie - I'll be sleeving the sata cables too Anyone else have a preference?

Here's a quick update - time to start drilling!

Adding some fill ports:

2 done:

All done:

Not as messy now:

Time to get the workstation up and running so I can get back to work (once I've cleaned up of course). I'll be using the Koolance dual bay dual D5 reservoir for now. It's a real pain to use because it doesn't bleed well, however if you add on some tube from the fill ports on the res up to the fill ports on the case you can keep the water level above the reservoir and it really helps.

Now we've freed up a 360 rad for the workstation gpu/motherboard/ram loop, we can put the loop together:

I'm using AP15's temporarily until I'm done painting the low speed yates. Also that one barb is temporary too:

The wiring is temporary too. So for loop testing, I disconnected the QDC's pulled the motherboard tray out of the case and the 360 out seperately, then I reconnected and filled the loop and left it to bleed/leak test on the counter for a few hours.

Old 29th Apr 2012, 20:00   #154
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
I keep looking at this thing and I think it's brilliant, that case is awesome.
I thought I was bad running 17 fans in my mozart TX.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 05:19   #155
stren
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
I keep looking at this thing and I think it's brilliant, that case is awesome.
I thought I was bad running 17 fans in my mozart TX.
Lol thanks Hehe yeah, I used to think 5 was a lot once upon a time

Alright time for another update. Here's the loop testing for the workstation. Bear in mind this is not the final loop - it will be tidier with nicer fittings, for now I need to get my workstation up and running, I can pretty it up later.

Some of the tube is the pink tube that I had mentioned before, that will be replaced. Bleeding of the annoying koolance reservoir was made easier by the dedicated fill ports and by the QDC's. The D5's struggle to push that much air out of the system, so it was much easier to bleed the cpu section and the radiator seperately and then connect them up as a whole:

Now that it had passed leak testing it was time to take it to the office:

It was now heavy (and bulky) and I didn't trust the BP crystal links not to loosen up if I didn't take it down the step smoothly, so I found a piece of plywood in the shed to help:

First boot! Yay! It wasn't just the kitchen that was covered in parts, so was the office, it's a real mess as I still had my old workstation running while I tweaked the clocks on this one.

I temporarily put the power supply in the top chamber while I did the overclocking tweaking:

Did a quick bench to see the limit of the chip, I couldn't get past 5.22GHz on water. I tried up to 1.66V, but nothing past 1.56 really helped. 5.22 means it's a pretty average 3930K, certainly no golden chip I tried to settle for a 24/7 clock of 4.95, but I didn't like the volts, so settled down for 4.9 instead, I'll see if I can tweak the memory faster than 2133 CL9 later, here's a SS of the 5.22:

Next I installed the power supplies properly, here you can see the optional PSU support bracket for long power supplies. It's probably not necessary, but why not? It comes with some rubber tape to damp any vibrations:

Here's the first PSU installed:

Last edited by stren; 1st May 2012 at 06:03.
Old 1st May 2012, 09:22   #156
leslie
Just me!

I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but seeing it being moved through the house, all I could think of is that it looks like Dalek is chasing you.

Old 1st May 2012, 09:31   #157
Reg216uk
Multimodder

Reg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitReg216uk is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
mmm what a monster
[ - Silverstone FT02 - Intel i5 2500K @ 4.7GHZ - Asus P8Z68 V-Pro - 8GB Patriot Extreme 1866 DDR3 - Antec Kuhler 920 - 2 x Gigabyte 7970 3GB Windforce 3X in Crossfire - Corsair TX850M - Cosair Force GT 120GB / Intel 335 Series 160GB - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - ]
Reg216uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 10:07   #158
dream1
Multimodder

dream1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well your case looks huge and 5.2 Ghz is nice to but what are the cpu average temp ???
dream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 13:28   #159
Phyonics
Modder

Phyonics has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think you should go with option F for the cabling.

The case is looking really excellent but it still seems kind of overkill at the moment. I can't wait to see it finished though
Phyonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:12   #160
daletur328
Minimodder

daletur328 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Epic build, F option looks like a winner.
daletur328 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode