bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 2nd May 2012, 22:11   #161
stren
Multimodder

stren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but seeing it being moved through the house, all I could think of is that it looks like Dalek is chasing you.
Haha so true, if you stop getting updates, it must have learned to exterminate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg216uk View Post
mmm what a monster
haha thanks yeah it's a beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream1 View Post
Well your case looks huge and 5.2 Ghz is nice to but what are the cpu average temp ???
Well 5.2 was just for benching, the temps were actually fine (70s), but it wasn't stable for 24/7 nor were the volts friendly for 24/7. For now I'm running 4.9GHz 24/7 and folding bigadv I get temps in the 59-69C range across all cores with a 25C ambient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyonics View Post
I think you should go with option F for the cabling.

The case is looking really excellent but it still seems kind of overkill at the moment. I can't wait to see it finished though
Thanks don't worry it'll fill up, just will take some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletur328 View Post
Epic build, F option looks like a winner.

Thanks for the feedback it helps
stren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:35   #162
stren
Multimodder

Took a break to put together an ivy rig for a co-worker:

A board!

blah blah blah marketing - where's the window that the extreme boards have?

Now there's a board

I liked the door hanger - unfortunately this is for an overclocked workstation so not too useful here:

A large box for some memory (32giggles):

Matching:

Oh and a cpu:

Best put that in the socket then:

We should remove that plastic cover too:

Putting in that H100:

Yeah I know no custom water loop, but this is going to someone who can't be trusted with such things

miniThief is getting there:

miniThief- now with 100% more PSU:

Don't forget a GPU (9800GT cheesecake!)

Close up:

ISO:

Old 3rd May 2012, 07:28   #163
stren
Multimodder

Also made an unboxing video of the mobo/cpu/ram:

Old 5th May 2012, 02:36   #164
stren
Multimodder

So back to the *real* project. Now that my workstation was up and running, I could take the old one down:

OMG dust! This is three months worth:

Still yucky:

Got out the duster and started taking it apart:

Nearly done

Now I've gone and made the kitchen messy again:

Old 5th May 2012, 19:17   #165
stren
Multimodder

So as it's the weekend you get bonus updates

This is how I initially wanted the PSU's to give maximum air intake:

However the left PSU once it had cables would conflict with the 360 rad mounted in front of it, so I decided to move it:

Done, you can see there's still a good amount of space in between:

Now to mount them - they're going in the second to bottom compartment:

and mounted:

Now time to mount all the hard drives - here are the gaming rig drives:

Now let's add in the workstation drives:

old skool x25e:

All done:

Now to cable it - I hate how asus only give you sata cables with right angles at one end and straights at the other. For this build I really need straight to straights, so I had to order some more from the egg, this is the temporary rats nest:

Yikes!
Old 5th May 2012, 21:46   #166
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Your insanity pleases me.
Love this!
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 01:50   #167
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Haha, even in a case this big you run into space problems. Hilarious.

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 03:14   #168
stren
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
Your insanity pleases me.
Love this!
Lol thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
Haha, even in a case this big you run into space problems. Hilarious.
Haha too true!
Old 8th May 2012, 03:15   #169
stren
Multimodder

Alright a quick update as I got some more time to process photos (on a side note the first mdpc package came woot!)

I got the workstation back up and running:

But I had to use the gaming side for location of the power supply as the cables were not long enough to reach the real location. As you can see it makes a good storage room also:

Workstation in action - no 2nd 8800gt yet because I'm only driving two screens, the card is being used as a test card for now for some other rigs I'm building.

Again a lot of fittings are temporary. So now back to the gaming rig. I transferred the sweet trident ram from my worksation to the gaming rig (I think it maybe hypers), it can do 2130 CL 8 and probably more but that's the limit of my 990x IMC. Should have tried two sticks in the 3770K rig I slapped together to see what it could really do! The ugly p6t board that was being used for the workstation is now going into a generic network maintenance use and will be put in a rack.

A shot of that sexy ram:

And the motherboard tray:

Here you can see I had soldered on an extra molex connector to the board (just to the bottom of the STX). My old case didn't have room to connect a power cable to the real connector, so this helped me give the gpus enough power.

And now time to swap the 920 for that sweet 990x:

Old 8th May 2012, 05:37   #170
whyte
Multimodder

whyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwhyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
must try.. and contain.. jealousy....
whyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 16:42   #171
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
:jizzface:
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 16:15   #172
stren
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyte View Post
must try.. and contain.. jealousy....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
:jizzface:
Lol thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 16:17   #173
stren
Multimodder

Alright time to swap those cpus - out with the 920:

And in with the 990x:

Close it up:

Mount the CPU block and add the g3/8 adapters - luckily the 5Noz has a very wide port spacing:

Which means you can mount the high flow VL4N quick disconnects - unfortunately they are g 3/8 and don't come with right angle options, so I have to have adapters both ends and then a g1/4 female to female before I can add in the 90 degree rotary fitting:

Here we are with the old GPUs mounted too:

And here's how it will look as this will be the reverse ATX side:

Now it's time to repurpose that clown board:

And done til the case comes:

Old 10th May 2012, 00:11   #174
stren
Multimodder

Second update of the day - sleeving came in:

Always interesting to see stamps from a foreign land And of course the obligatory nils drawing

The results from the last survery were clear:

So now I made them with real sleeve (24 pin left and 8 + 6 pin right) (only one row of course) (photographed outside under cloud, the background is the pedestal back plate which is powdercoated the same color as all internal parts):

I'm leaning towards D or F. However there's one last complication there is red or the "x" color that is basically a deep red-brown kind of color. As far as I can tell, the x looks better when next to white, the red otherwise:

Let me know what you think!
Old 10th May 2012, 00:34   #175
Bladesingerz
Hypermodder

Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I really like A and G the most! That sleeving really looks good
Bladesingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 00:37   #176
Big Elf
I am even more invisible than usual

Big Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I prefer 'B' although I'd probably use a maximum of 3 colours. Have you tried sleeving the red onto a white cable? It tends to brighten it up a bit.
Case Labs TH10│Asus Rampage III Extreme│Core i7 990X 4.6GHz│24GB Corsair Dominator GT 1964MHz│NVIDIA GTX580 Tri-SLI│Crucial M4 128GB x 2│Seagate Momentus 1TB x 2│SeaSonic P1000W│EK Supremacy│EK FC-RE3│EK FC-580 GTX x 3│EK-RAM Dominator│Black Ice SR-1 480 x 3Swiftech 35X2
Big Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 01:14   #177
Foregasm
Multimodder

Foregasm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A and G are my favorites.
Old 10th May 2012, 01:29   #178
KoSoVaR^
Professional Sleever & Modder

KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
the last one with color x!
KoSoVaR^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 16:12   #179
n1c3tr1
What's a Dremel?

n1c3tr1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Option D with Red.

Also keep the updates coming!!! I check almost everyday to see how much progress you have made.

I guess I will have to find something else to do with my time when you complete it...
n1c3tr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 17:06   #180
stren
Multimodder

Thanks everyone - keep those votes coming - here are the results so far:

View Mode