1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Steampunk Flash Drive- My Way Of Ending What Has Been A Very Interesting Year For Me

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 23 Dec 2011.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That's right, it's almost Christmas, and I had to do something to end my modding year.
    But really, I'm not just posting this thread for the project, this has been an interesting year for me because of the absolutely massive learning curve I have made once again. I've only been here for a year and a quarter, but it's hard to believe how much I've learned.

And at the age of 14, it's still hard to believe I'm sitting here with project refraction, and have the pleasure of talking to magazine writers. Refraction was obviously a summer holiday project, but the fun I had and am still having out of it will last much, much longer. More so, just looking at this section of the forums, it's not hard to see what a fantastic modding community I have the pleasure of being a part of. You can just see from this year's mod of the year that the bar has been raised once again, and 2012 will definitely be exciting! And it may well be a very decisive year for me too- that's all I'll say.

I couldn't be more happy to be a part of this forum. And it's easy to see the real community feel that's come back over that last few months, just look at the way we've all helped Throbbi for example. Remember, refraction was a community project from some points of view- the community being family (thanks Grandpa!) and other members of this forum (Waynio). So yes, I want to wish you all the absolute best over Christmas and the new year, and now, what you came for:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KidMod-Southpaw

Shameless bump :D
    My way of being nice. :3

3. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

That is sweet. Lets just hope its not rusted on the port!

4. KidMod-Southpaw

Nope, the paint is a hammered copper finish, looks pretty cool.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Well, that wast the fastest project log ever!:lol: -Looks good. It needs a "contains small parts, may be a choking hazard to children" warning.:D

6. KidMod-Southpaw

Hehe, good thing I don't mass produce them!
    It was really just a very quick make, mainly so I could say what was said at the top of the page.

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Where did the little handle come from?
    Nice little project, makes me think about cool mods I could do with memory sticks. Alas, I always lose them.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

The handle is actually a cut and bent piece of brake pipe, painted with he same paint as the rest of the stick.

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Not bad at all, reminds me of this.

:D :thumb:

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats a nice little mod Kid. Some nice little touches. Well done son.

Now, what you were saying about modding and your learning curve. At 14 you are still very young, (I've got a fish thats 6 years older than you). Take your time and enjoy the journey, don't worry about getting in mod of the month and things like that and just work on your skills, go out in the garden and cut up bits of metal, practice your spraying and work out where your strengths are.

If you look at what Waynio does now and look back at some of his earlier stuff, the transformation is amazing. He has taught himself well aand risen from just being a forum member to one of the top modders on here.

You've got time on your side, so don't go rushing in. The day will come soon enough when we log in and say oh look whos in the MOTM again. Or better still Kids in the MOTY 3 years on the spin.

Hone your raw skills working with real tools and you'll be up there with the big boys soon enough. (Just read that back to myself, yeah I work with some real tools...lol)

Have a good Christmas Kid and take care.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks a lot Jeff. As said, it was just a very quick project. I mainly did it so I could say what in the first post :thumb:
    I can already see from refraction what skills I'm homing in to, personally, I think I did a good spray job, and I can see that I'm going to be a person that likes the little details :)
    I've been taught not to rush in (as you know we had Grandpa's lovely help) and know better myself. MOTM and such, yeah, it's certainly nice, and I'm still involved in an ongoing situation about it (that's all I can say at the moment), so yeah, it's nice, but I'll always mod for fun and family enjoyment (just like refraction).

Thanks for all your advice Jeff, you were one of my first friends on Bit- Tech after all! You've been so very helpful. Have a great Christmas, and wish all your family the best!

Thanks mate.

Waynio likes this.
  12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

What Jeff said :D & nice micro project for the end of the year mate :clap:.

13. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks Wayne.
    I have lots more planned for 2012! :D

14. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

just seen this and absolutely love it! Its not the most complicated but it looks fantastic! Would go perfect with any steampunk-esque build :D

Well done, i look forward to seeing more material from you in the future!

C

EDIT HOLY THREAD NECROMANCY! long day at work chaps...

Last edited: 16 Apr 2013