bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 29th Dec 2011, 18:15   #1
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
[Completed] Music Box - Final Photos 14th, Feb 2012

Music Box
This project came about when I started to think about doing time lapsed photography using a spare Webcam that I've got. Originally I was going to just use a small netbook for the computer to drive this, but then I started thinking about it some more, and of course it didn't stop at just a computer to do time lapse...

Usually when I'm working on projects outside or in the garage, I have my MP3 player hooked up to a spare set of computer speakers. This is ok, but the sound isn't the greatest, and with all the wires from the speakers, and to the MP3 player etc it was just a mess. So I thought of combining speakers and a pc with a small touch screen integrated all in one package. Then I would stream music either over the internet or from my server.

There were several design changes and ideas, and much help from the Bit-Tech community over on the Modding section of the forums. The first couple rounds of designs are in the planning thread that I started, located here: Music Box

With that, I'd also like to thank legoman and GuilleAcoustic for the help and guidance they gave me over there. I probably wouldn't have been able to get where I am as quickly as I have with out their advice and knowledge

The Parts:
This is the design concept in SketchUp that I came up with. It will house 2x3" speakers, 2x1.5" speakers, 7" Soundgraph touch screen, and a Mini-ITX intel atom (D525) board, 4GB OCZ RAM, and an OCZ 60GB 2.5" SSD. I'll be using a pico-psu for this as well. I've got most of the parts already (several are spare parts), just waiting on the Pico-PSU and the speakers to get delivered.

The Materials:
This is another wood build, and I will be using 7/16" (1/2" nominal) solid oak.

Ok, now on to some pictures!

Design front view, the motherboard will be vertical on the back "wall" which will fold down/out for maintenance, and/or plugging anything in that needs it.

Back view of the case, the hole will act as a handle/feed for cables to connect to the motherboard I/O ports

I'm doing most of the cutting by hand, using a technique I learned from reading SlipprySkip's worklog Aerodyne

Gluing both pieces of the side

I think that's all the pictures I'll post for now, until I can get home to take some better pictures of more of the parts. I more done than just that, but I haven't taken many pictures of it.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Mosquito; 14th Feb 2012 at 16:21.
Mosquito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2011, 19:34   #2
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatanna View Post
wow, what an amazing mod! I've daydreamed about something akin to this, so it's cool to see someone with the skillz actualizing it! plus, you're in minnesota.
Thanks! I had thought about doing something larger scale similar to this, using a 26" monitor for a full fledged all in one solution, but settled on this... at least for now This is only my 3rd adventure in wood working, so I'm still learning and honing the skills, but so far it's coming along satisfactory .

I live in Minnesota, it's late December, and there is absolutely NO snow to go snowmobiling, might as well build a computer right? In fact, it was so disgustingly warm this past weekend (50F), I was working outside on the patio... GROSS!
Old 30th Dec 2011, 04:18   #3
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Update 29, Dec 2011

Thanks, I hope I manage to pull it off well

--

Here are some better pictures of the pieces I've already cut out and some that I've glued already:

Top, bottom, and the two side pieces for the lower section (where the speakers are)
Two inner divider pieces for enclosing the speakers, and the back piece that the motherboard will mount on
Top and side pieces for the upper portion of the case (where the screen is)

Assembling the case to see how it looks:

I don't drink pop, or beer, or anything else that comes in a can, so I don't have anything easily handy for a size comparison, so a tape measure and an Xbox controller will have to do

That's all I've got for now guys, thanks for checking it out
Old 30th Dec 2011, 15:36   #4
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Sure, NOW you tell me

I may still bring a pair of boards to cut down to the right width, if you've got that capability, it may be quicker. I've only got 4 pieces left to cut
Old 31st Dec 2011, 02:56   #5
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Waynio
Old 31st Dec 2011, 15:28   #6
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolla View Post
Yeah. Give me a call or text and we can try to get it done for yah. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, I'll be sure to pack the boards then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
This is a great idea! 2 questions though.

1. What OS will you be using? Windows 7?
2. How will you play the music?
Thanks Fuganater,
1.) I haven't decided yet, but I was thinking Windows 7, but I may try XP as well to see if the touchscreen software works better with it. I've also got Windows 8 developer build available too, so I might throw that on there for a quick trial, since it IS supposed to be "optimized for touch enabled devices". More than likely though, it'll be 7

2.) Music will probably be played with either Windows Media Center, Media Player, XBMC, or the media players that the touch screen software came with. It would be depending on how well the touch control works with any of them. As far as where it will be coming from, streaming music from the internet, or over my wireless from my file server is what the plan was
Old 5th Jan 2012, 17:17   #7
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Yeah. Give me a call or text and we can try to get it done for yah. Keep up the good work.
Just wanted to say thanks again! Lunch was good as well as catching up. The help chopping up the boards for me was much appreciated (even if my excessive lines threw us off ) Thanks!

--

A small update in progress for the new year, and hopefully some more work and pictures to follow this evening. Avolla helped me out this weekend when I was up in his neck of the woods. He lent some of his time, and the use of a band saw to cut some boards down to the approximate width that I needed for the two remaining pieces. I'll be able to run them through my router table to finish them off now that they're rough cut down to size. During my small vacation this past weekend and early this week, the remaining two pending parts finally got delivered, so I may have some parts pictures, and a quick assembly of the parts to make sure everything is working correctly

Last edited by Mosquito; 5th Jan 2012 at 17:22.
Old 10th Jan 2012, 21:22   #8
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Update 10th, Jan.

Been a little while since I had an actual update.... I've gotten a bunch done, but not a huge number of pictures. I've got most of the pieces done now, just have to cut out the front for the monitor, and drill a hole for the power button. Everything else is down to attaching everything together.

cut out, and now finishing one of the two holes in the top. The other hole will be inverted right above this one
Got the holes drilled in the front for the speakers
Did some router work on the speaker front, to smooth things out a little better

The white tabs behind the bottom front are just removable double stick tape... I used it just to take pictures. It won't be there in the finished product
2 speakers mounted

I apologize for some of these pictures, I temporarily misplaced my tripod, so some of them are a little blurry.
http://www.mosquitomediaserver.com/p...N2138-1600.jpg
filing out slots for hinges on the back piece

Gluing together the bottom-top and side pieces

And finally, I have a quick shot of all the parts assembled on a tote for testing :-)

That's all I've got for now, thanks for checking it out
Old 11th Jan 2012, 15:28   #9
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlemodder View Post
Puts my project to shame mate!
Looking forward to seeing it finished!
Thanks! Your project includes 2 computers! And fitting it into an already predetermined space... mine was designed specifically to house these components, so I don't think it puts anything to shame

Quote:
When you wrap this up you'll have to let me hear it in action. It's looking good and I'm glad to lend my services to your build. Mod on my friend.
I can probably arrange that. It is, after all, designed to be easily portable Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
Nice build there matey ! I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks! I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel... and this one is moving much more quickly than my other two did
Old 11th Jan 2012, 21:07   #10
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
That's really nice, going to be a great little system!
Thanks KidMod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1U View Post
I can't see any picture, is that just me?

edit: a couple of refresh happened to solve the problem, great job!
Thanks! Yeah, that happens to me on some worklogs as well, not sure why... Refresh usually pulls through eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverobson08 View Post
Can I just ask a couple of questions regarding the touch screen?

A) How much did it cost and where from?

B) What size is it?

C) How good does it look in your opinion?

Thanks in advance. It's looking great by the way!
Thanks!
A.) It was $200 + ~$25 shipping (USD) from SoundGraph online store. I couldn't find them anywhere else http://shop.soundgraph.com/ItemDetail.aspx?PDSEQ=47
There's two versions of it, a "step" mount, and a "flat" mount. Both are detailed here: http://www.soundgraph.com/oem-fingervu700m-feature-en/

B.) It is a 7" screen. The dimensions of the actual screen area are about 6.5"x4.25" (that is the mounting dimensions, which includes the housing).

C.) I think it looks pretty good, the resolution is 800x600, which isn't the best but it does work fine for media center and stuff. I haven't played with it a ton yet, but so far I've been happy with it.

There is free software that you can download, FingerUI, Touch Frame, and HD Frame. FingerUI and HD Frame are more like media applications and a "Touch Interface", and Touch Frame enables you to use the touch screen with Windows, or any other programs, just like a regular touch screen. I didn't really like FingerUI or HD Frame that much so I will probably be using Touch Frame with XBMC instead.

You have to download a DisplayLink driver/software package for it to work in Win7 and XP. It works far better in Win7 in my opinion.

That was probably a more long winded response than you were expecting, but there you go
Old 12th Jan 2012, 15:29   #11
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Excellent! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions, always glad to help

Also, it came with all the buttons and stuff too, which I won't be using, but was a nice surprise.
10-button panel, push button/dial combo, and an IR sensor for a remote (which works with a windows media center remote)
Old 12th Jan 2012, 15:51   #12
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Update 12th, Jan 2012

I have a little more progress from the past few days... I've glued up all the pieces that will be glued up, and I've drilled some holes for screwing the bottom floor, and bottom-top section (because that's easy to follow...) and got the speakers mounted on the lower front panel.

Speakers mounted to the lower front panel

Gluing the lower front on to the lower top pieces

The lower pieces all glued together.

Things are really starting to take shape now... a few "nearly finished" shots. You can't tell, but the bottom pieces (not including the screen part) are screwed together now. I decided to do it that way, in case I ever wanted/needed to change speakers, I could still do that. I also got the chrome spacers in underneath where the screen will be. I counter sunk the top because they were about 1/8" too tall. I will be using a pair of bolts through them to hold them in place.

That's all for now. I'm almost done with cutting out the hole for the screen, so there will hopefully be another update soon. Thanks for checking it out!
Old 13th Jan 2012, 15:13   #13
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Looking good man. Your wood working skills are impressive and i look forward to seeing this thing finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland216 View Post
very nice

Thanks guys

I'll have some pictures up soon with it together and working, all I have left is final sanding, and finish coats and some actual cable management
Old 13th Jan 2012, 18:28   #14
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Waynio. I will be doing the same rounded corner treatment to the top front piece, as well as the top edges. Just have to find the time to use my router table again
Old 13th Jan 2012, 19:10   #15
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Update 13th, Jan 2012

Last night I finished up the cut out for the screen, got the top and bottom halves drilled out and screwed together, and did a full test fit with everything inside...

I drilled holes, then used my jigsaw to cut INSIDE the lines, then I did a lot of work with a combination of a sanding block, and hand file.

It Fits! I spent probably 3 hours on this alone, just to make sure I did it right...

Then, I drilled the holes for the 4 screws, and 2 bolts that would be holding the top down. The bolts hold the two chrome stand offs in place under the monitor.

All screwed together.

Now it's time for the complete test fit. I screwed the screen in place, and added all the speakers into it, then put it all together.

IT LIVES! I actually have to say that I think it sounds pretty good. I mean, doesn't measure up to my full stereo, but for what it is it sounds good

I've still got a few finishing touches to do, such as rounding over a couple of corners, smoothing out a few sections, doing the final sanding, and then applying finish. I have 2 small fans for the side ports, and some metal mesh for those and the top that I'll put in once it's finished. Then do some wire management and I'm good to go

I also have a video of it in operation (audio was recorded with my point and shoot camera, so I promise it sounds better than the video depicts )

Can't read it in the video, but temps were at 47c when it was playing music for the CPU. This was with the 500rpm fan just sitting in it. I'm thinking it will be a little better with the new fans, moving more air through the case.

Thanks for checking it out guys
Old 13th Jan 2012, 19:59   #16
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_malc View Post
and here's to you Mosquito that looks grate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
Thats just soooo cool, nice one dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
Nice one Mosquito! Are you leaving the wood untreated or is there a finishing to be made?
Thanks guys!

I'm going to put a finish on it, but I haven't decided 100% what yet. I wasn't planning on staining it, but I'm not sure if I'll do a hand rubbed finish, or poly, or what yet. Any suggestions for something I should look into? (I don't have HVLP capabilities, otherwise I'd probably give that a go)
Old 14th Jan 2012, 16:16   #17
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
I havenīt worked a lot woth oak, but Iīm a sucker for oil based cloth rubbed finishes. Not too glossy and brings out the luster!
Thanks! I haven't tried a hand rubbed finish yet, so I was thinking it was about time for me to give it ago, I might look into that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJay View Post
Thats pretty slick!

This has inspired me to get my music box up and running : )
Thanks! Feel free to shoot me a message if you want any help or thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
Neat little AIO. I like it.
Thanks Pranja

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteski View Post
man that is so cool to you . it's a inspiration to me as i hope to build my own first scratch build one day soon

5stars +rep
Thank you very much, let me know if I can be of any assistance, and I'll see what I can do to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Want to make one now it's awesome , sweet AIO music box Mosquito will look really nice when finished (does already) .
Thanks Waynio, to be honest the finishing part is the part that always makes me the most nervous
Old 16th Jan 2012, 17:54   #18
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
That looks beautiful!
Thanks KidMod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteski View Post
thanks Mosquito i'll bear that in meind
Not a problem, that's what the community is for
Old 18th Jan 2012, 21:08   #19
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Hey Zatanna, thanks for checking back!
I've been able to make quick progress because most of the work I did was with hand tools. I only had to head out to the garage for a day since I initially was outside.

Last winter was awesome! I was snowmobiling before Christmas This year though, we still don't have much snow up here, we have probably only an inch or two on the ground
Old 14th Feb 2012, 16:35   #20
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Final Shots - 14th, Feb 2012

So I was finally able to find some time to put finish coats on this thing, and get it reassembled. I've actually been using it a fair amount while working on another project

I used a gloss wipe on top coat by General Finishes, here's a few shots that sort of capture the sheen on it (unpolished)

And some of the final shots after it's been finished and reassembled.

Had a few issues with glue squeeze out, but I guess that's part of learning...

I installed the mesh in the top and side vents as well

http://www.mosquitomediaserver.com/p...N2225-1600.jpg

Side by side (top-by-bottom?) of finished (top) and unfinished (bottom) for a comparison. Grain definitely looks better finished.

That's about all I've got for this project. It's now finished. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to check it out, and everyone for commenting and having support, it's what keeps me here

And for the final shot, this is the Music Box actually in use while I was working on (and taking pictures of) another project It also gives a better depiction of the gloss it has too...

View Mode