bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 17th Jan 2012, 16:07   #1
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Project: 4M (9/3 - F I N A L S ! ! !) > Completed

Project: 4M

Some of the final pictures, check page 9 for more of them

My mom's computer broke down the other week. Since I am such a loving son I have to
give her a new one. And since sheīs not picky when it comes to performance,
Iīm going to use these modest components:

Spcs:

ITX MSI H61I-E35
CELERON G530 2.4GHZ
Zalman 9500A
4 gb RAM
CLUB 3D GF 210 512MB
WESTERN 500 Gb

The idea is to get done by her birthday in mid-February, so expect something relatively simple.

Design

Delivery

I ordered a 430W, but since I want to keep the volume down as much as possible,
I now think Iīm gonna use my old shuttle-250W instead

Modified Zalman 9500

Found a new bracket fortunately

For mom, this mediocre card will do the trick

Mobo

Mock-up for start button

Follow me on: https://www.facebook.com/lovehultenau

Last edited by quizz_kid; 17th Aug 2012 at 11:32.
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2012, 16:31   #2
Jay_UK
What's a Dremel?

Jay_UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hi there,

Intersting project...

I believe you should be able to just cut the pins and remove the VGA connector (any reason you arent using the IGP?)

In your config, a 20 pin PSU into a 24 pin Mobo should be ok (low power requirements)

J.
Jay_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2012, 17:28   #3
Shuttlemodder
I *am* a Dremel

Shuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming SaiyanShuttlemodder is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Personally i would cut the pins with a set of wire side cutters..

put some 1mm heatshrink over them one by one to protect them.

Though not sure why you would need to remove them??
Shuttlemodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 02:15   #4
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_UK View Post
Hi there,

Intersting project...

I believe you should be able to just cut the pins and remove the VGA connector (any reason you arent using the IGP?)

In your config, a 20 pin PSU into a 24 pin Mobo should be ok (low power requirements)

J.
Thanks! The reason is a backplate design Iīm working on... But I might leave it there. Donīt know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlemodder View Post
Personally i would cut the pins with a set of wire side cutters..

put some 1mm heatshrink over them one by one to protect them.

Though not sure why you would need to remove them??
Thanks for the tip mate

Old 18th Jan 2012, 02:24   #5
quizz_kid
Squid

Another question, this time about the C14 plug in the PSU.
What is that green thingy under the question mark? Iīm a bit confused...
The thing is that I want to extend the cable. Canīt I just cut the blue/brown and add Gnd to a new plug?

Old 20th Jan 2012, 01:41   #6
quizz_kid
Squid

Joystick ingredients

Some drilling

Alu fittings

This is the constuction inside. The placing of the metal spring had to be precise and it took some time to get the right resistance when pulling the ballhead

Close up

Also made two simple HDD mountings

Aslo started on the wood work. I changed the shape a bit. Less width / more depth

For an idea of the size... Itīs not the smallest htpc, but itīs no monster

Layout on the roof. Mobo will hang upside down

Hereīs where the GPUīll be. Going to use pci extensions later. This will be left side, and the only side with attributes (such as mesh, DVD, USB-panel, fan controller etc) I want to keep it a clean build so nothing on top and right side. Front will just be joystick and brass window...

Right side with HDD

Old 20th Jan 2012, 01:43   #7
quizz_kid
Squid

Btw, sorry for changing the title all the time...

Old 20th Jan 2012, 20:20   #8
ASPHIAX
Beyond Complexity Lies Simplicity

ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Nice start man !
KUTGW !
W. www.ModWithMe.com
FB. https://www.facebook.com/ModWithMe
ASPHIAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2012, 21:44   #9
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Awsome work, m-itx AND mdf, two of my favourite things.
Regarding the cutting of the VGA port. I did the exact same thing on my project. First I cutt the small connectors with a plier and then desoldered the rest of the connector. Your connector is however of another kind but you should be fine just to cut the VGA piece away. Might be tricky to remove the remaining pins since that black casing seems to cover their solderjoints. You could try and heat them from the other side while pulling with a plier.

Just make shure to preotect the mobo from any metall/solder debris but i guess you already know that.

Good luck

Project: ProtoHype (paused)
Project: GET A LIFE (Complete)
Project: Widescreen Projector(Complete)
Guide: How to brush Aluminum
The_Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2012, 21:45   #10
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Your mom must be proud to have son like this.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2012, 17:09   #11
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPHIAX View Post
Nice start man !
KUTGW !
Thanks mate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gnu View Post
Awsome work, m-itx AND mdf, two of my favourite things.
Regarding the cutting of the VGA port. I did the exact same thing on my project. First I cutt the small connectors with a plier and then desoldered the rest of the connector. Your connector is however of another kind but you should be fine just to cut the VGA piece away. Might be tricky to remove the remaining pins since that black casing seems to cover their solderjoints. You could try and heat them from the other side while pulling with a plier.

Just make shure to preotect the mobo from any metall/solder debris but i guess you already know that.

Good luck
Thanks Gnu! Yeah, hate those covered solder joints. But thanks for the tip buddy. Will try that heating and pulling later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
Your mom must be proud to have son like this.
Itīs the other way around, but I think sheīll like it

Old 21st Jan 2012, 17:16   #12
quizz_kid
Squid

Made new plates for the joystick today. Some perfection this time. All but painting left now.

Made some spacers

Cut some lumber today. Walnut of course =)

Made front/back frames

Also made some simple fittings for DVD and graphics

Just one last check before putting the box together. Drill some, mill some... Canīt miss anything here since itīll be too tight for machinery use in there later.

Box glued!!

Old 21st Jan 2012, 22:28   #13
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
This will be good & in a short time frame . 5 stars & rep
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 10:59   #14
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
This will be good & in a short time frame . 5 stars & rep
Much appreciated Waynio

Old 22nd Jan 2012, 12:50   #15
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This is definitely a great idea for such a small build- love the power switch!
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 21:55   #16
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
This is definitely a great idea for such a small build- love the power switch!
Thanks KidMod!

Old 22nd Jan 2012, 22:05   #17
quizz_kid
Squid

Sunday. Just sitting here trying figuring out what foot stand design to use. I have 3 options so far... Any thoughts are welcome!

A simple elegant wooden stand

A metal stand inspired by old industrial stools, painted in a color matching the front panel maybe

A stand with angle / nose pointing up

Old 22nd Jan 2012, 22:31   #18
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
2 would be my choice because it is most stable.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 00:36   #19
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
Really nice idea, perfected execution, what else can I ask? Just mod on my friend, this looks awesome!!!!! +rep
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 18:16   #20
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Something that sticks out further in the front would be good. The handle gives you the potential to topple forward when pulled.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode