bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jan 2012, 11:13   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Websites go dark in protest at SOPA, PIPA

The Internet is (sort of) on strike!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...rk-sopa-pipa/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 11:17   #2
ajfsound
Multimodder

ajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for president
"It seems ridiculous that lawmakers could be looking to hand such control..."

If it seems so ridiculous to you Bit-Tech why haven't you taken action?
ajfsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 11:25   #3
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPAA Chairman
It's a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests.
This is a rather massive case of the pot calling the kettle black - what are SOPA & PIPA if not lobby-based legislation from the RIAA & MPAA to further their own members' corporate interests?

Besides, what, exactly, are the EFF's or Wikipedia's corporate interests? From Google's standpoint, they could run a very real risk of being blacklisted because their automated systems crawl a site containing link to copyrighted information? I'd say that's worth fighting for.

Is it ironic that the US, a country which spent decades fighting this kind of censorship and information control in the Communist countries, is now considering exactly the thing they were rallying against for so long?
Old 18th Jan 2012, 11:28   #4
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Great, a law that screws over the people so that big business can reign supreme
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -

Last edited by The_Beast; 18th Jan 2012 at 12:15.
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 11:42   #5
von_stylon
uber micro

von_stylon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hold on why is this site still running today then?
von_stylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 11:52   #6
ajfsound
Multimodder

ajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for presidentajfsound should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by von_stylon
My thoughts exactly...
Old 18th Jan 2012, 12:09   #7
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SOPA is a stupid idea. It basically lets people with vested interests be judge, jury and exicutioner. A truely terrible idea.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 12:16   #8
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you disable JavaScript, Wikipedia works as normal.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 13:23   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfsound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_stylon View Post
Quote:
My thoughts exactly...
Because this site is for geeks like us. If it went down, Ordinary Joe Public wouldn't be any the wiser, and couldn't care less.

The only way the voting public will sit up and take notice is to deprive them of something that they value: to make them realise it is under threat and give them a taste of what it would be like to have to do without. So you black out the sites visited by the larger public: Google, Wikipedia, YouTube, stuff like that.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 13:43   #10
ajfsound
Multimodder

@ Nexxo

I bet there are a tonne of readers who don't know about SOPA & Protect IP and a load more who don't understand the wider consequences. Shutting the site would educate these people and the more people that understand what's going on, the better.

Also there are voting public that read and value this site, and a whole lot more that can prod friends the other side of the Atlantic.

Finally I think it would have benefited Bit-Tech's publicly perceived persona, showing they value journalistic responsibility and would have boosted site traffic longer-term.

And who you calling a geek!?
Old 18th Jan 2012, 13:48   #11
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
I've personally been slightly disappointed by they way almost all of the sites I know of who have taken part in the 'blackout' seem to being doing it via javascript, and so all you have to do is disable it to access the site without issue :/
And while some people may say only tech savy people will know that etc, and that's not who the blackout is for, it's all over facebook etc, so the less tech savy people already know a way to get round it.

Tis a good idea though, and hopefully it actually has an affect.
GeorgeStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 13:52   #12
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Or you could use Google's cache for wiki... Buts thats not the point its a symbolic gesture.
Old 18th Jan 2012, 13:56   #13
Stewb
Hypermodder

Stewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
People that don't know about SOPA in the first place probably don't know how to disable javascript

EDIT: Clearly a massive, sweeping and false generalisation but you get the idea...
Stewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 15:33   #14
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Because this site is for geeks like us..
"Won't you gentlemen have a Pepsi?"
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 17:26   #15
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

Yeah I thought the same .

Quote:
Because this site is for geeks like us. If it went down, Ordinary Joe Public wouldn't be any the wiser, and couldn't care less.

The only way the voting public will sit up and take notice is to deprive them of something that they value: to make them realise it is under threat and give them a taste of what it would be like to have to do without. So you black out the sites visited by the larger public: Google, Wikipedia, YouTube, stuff like that.
Ah yep makes sense .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 20:14   #16
Res
What's a Dremel?

Res has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have the up most respect for the PC gaming site http://www.rockpapershotgun.com for doing so today, seemingly the only site I frequent other then Wikipedia that took part, which is a shame.
Res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 20:14   #17
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This has got everything toi do with censorship and very little (financially profitable) to do with anti piracy.

If it is indeed all about piracy and lost revenue.....Here's my answer:

If corporations with vested interests are pushing for this bill, Let it be passed and protest with your wallet.

DO NOT GO TO MOVIES OR CONCERTS - DO NOT RENT OR BUY MOVIES AND MUSIC - DO NOT SHOP OR VISIT ANYWHERE THAT PROMOTES THE INTERESTS - CHANGE THE TV CHANNEL WHEN AN ADVERT FOR THE INTERESTS COMES ON.

You get my drift, Remember folks it our money that put these greedy self serving ***** where they are., and its lack of our money that will remove them.

It stinks no matter what and we should all be concerned. That's you too bit-tech!!!!!
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” - Frank Zappa
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 20:17   #18
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm against PIPA and SOPA and don't mind not using google or other website, when the internet wasn't so developed as it is now, people would do research and business the way it has been done for years, libraries, telephones, mail (not electronic).

Although BT staff may have PIPA and SOPA protesters, don't forget this is a company and it's up to Dennis Publishing executives to decide wether a BT blackout is in order or not.
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 20:40   #19
zatanna
Multimodder

zatanna has yet to learn the way of the Dremelzatanna has yet to learn the way of the Dremelzatanna has yet to learn the way of the Dremelzatanna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

agreed, and unfortunately, with the exception of wikipedia, major site deprivation is not happening. google, to its credit, has its homepage doodle blacked out in protest, along with appropriate links, but you can still search. facebook, youtube, twitter, no interruption. too much revenue would be lost. i know twitter, at least, has spoken out against both.
zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 21:07   #20
kzinti1
Multimodder

kzinti1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've been on-line way too long today. I've yet to run across any site, whatsoever, that was down for anything. I really have no idea what protest you're referring to.
The bulk of this article is quite valid, save the so-called protest that has yet to be witnessed by me.
Since bit tech is still going strong today, I can only come to the conclusion that they do not agree with this "protest", and is all for SOPA/PIPA. Unless, of course, you think bit tech is above such things.
kzinti1 is offline   Reply With Quote