1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress D33P THOUGHT, ..COMPLETE..FINAL PICS+VID

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 21 Jan 2012.

?

Hoopy or Tart3 handbag

Poll closed 16 Apr 2012.
  1. Hoopy

95.5%
  2. Tarts handbag

4.5%
  1. Asouter

Asouter --------

:thumb:D33P THOUGHT (first post)

I've done my fair share of builds, and was fairly happy with what I've got but (yes there's always a "but") A friend gave me 6970 graphics card and that's where the trouble begins. I already had two cross-fired and water cooled so immediately I'm thinking Tri-fire (sounds soooo much better than crossfire X)

So the card was installed and extra block added to an already struggling loop, then...The inevitable "yup I really should get a bigger pump" and "if I'm really sensible about it adding another loop would be a good idea" raised their ugly heads. Problem is, the case is way to small to fit the bigger pump let alone another loop.

[​IMG]
    It's an old Thermaltake case, very handy at the time but not without the usual niggles with any case (brackets and fittings not exactly where you want them)

I trawled through 'tinternet looking for another case to vandalize and the only contender was the Mountain Mods U2 UFO, but when I took a closer look, the cost was huge and after reading a few posts from some disgruntled customers decided that.... for the same kinda money I could buy all the material, get tooled up and do my own build for similar money.

INSPIRATION
    After the Bit-tech site kept coming up in my searches for designs, I took a look at the phinix cube. I like how he'd put his project together and also the links to his inspirations (all very good builds). So I set about designing another cube and after trying to lay out the components it seemed like I'd have a gigantic box full of bits and at the end of the day just another cube (no offense to you guys out there with superb builds). So after lots of head scratching (yes I had already ordered and received my acrylic) I did eventually come up with my idea.
    [​IMG]
    CONCEPT

From this rough sketch, I hope can explain the concept, my acrylic has now been carefully cut (read hacked) into strips and blocks, these will form "towers" in each corner. The front two towers house the radiators and fans, the rear towers house the reservoirs. It will have two levels, the bottom level housing the PSU, Drives, Fan controller and a pair of D5 pumps. The top level housing all the the other stuff. I won't bore you with the specs we'll just take it that has a reasonable spec + all the bits I have but if your into sponsoring builds I'm all ears. I was reading about peeps trying to blag bits from manufacturers (that's just FUGLY) Ok lets get back to the concept, I had to come up with a name and after much thought ....nooo more thought than that, I realised that the sketch looked a lil like Deep thought from The Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy. Y'know the one that spends a few thousand millennia pondering the meaning of life the universe and everything (42) So D33P Thought will have a few Hitch Hiker touches to it .... but that's for later.

[​IMG]

FIRST CUTS

I'm not going to teach you how to suck eggs , you know how to use a Dremel, and I'm sure you don't want to see pics of sawdust or digits cut to shreads...ok maybe I'll post some to satisfy your fetishes in the next update but here's my modest lil mod kit, I don't have an elaborate workshop (yet)
    [​IMG]
    No I don't work for Dremel

Initial Layout

After cutting a few "blanks" and the lower level tray I've laid them out to take a peep at how big it's going to be...not to bad me thinks.
    [​IMG]
    (note that the acrylic is clear not UV blue) it's just the protective film.
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't resist and built up one of the towers (a bit) to take a side pic and hopefully give a better idea as to what I'm building.

That's it for the first Installment, I look forward to your feed back and ideas... stay cool and froodie

Last edited: 3 May 2012
  2. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

The images are a bit blurry but not that bad.. Looks cool! Do you mind if I Subbed to this? :) also check your last image.. it's missing the [/IMG]

Thanks

Gaming_Freak_10

3. Briaireous

Briaireous What's a Dremel?

awesome design :) watching this one

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Good god, if you can pull that concept off, I'll love you forever! And it seems you've made a good start. :naughty:

5. C.B.B

C.B.B What's a Dremel?

Very Promising, already subscribed.

6. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks I sorted the last bit and will update the images/ you're more than welcome to subscribe

7. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Very interesting! I am definately going to follow this one!
    + sub!

8. C.B.B

C.B.B What's a Dremel?

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks for the interest guys, It's still in early stages and have lots of plexi to cut and drill (I'm sure Asphiax will appreciate the effort needed in polishing those edges)

There's so much much going into this case that still hasn't put in the log, and it's hard not to disclose them but rest-assured for any of you guys who were into The Hitch Hikers Guide To The galaxy you're in for a treat and hopefully a damn good laugh.

Work starts again tomorrow so an update will be forth coming.

Ohh and I'm new to Bit-Tech so friend invites are most welcome.......

10. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

With that amount of plexi I would go for flame polishing man! May need a couple of tries to get the technique perfect but it will save you an enormous amount of time and aggrevation!

Got all the 5 books, seen the movie like a million times, bring it on !!!

Looking forward to the pics, just make sure a towel is in every shot !

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

Looks like I'll have a a tool for cauterizing my dremel wounds, Flame polishing it is :eek:)
    Thanks

12. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Subbed to this, massive HHGTTG fan!

'Hey check that Asouter, there's a hoopy frood who really knows where his dremel is.............and his towel.'

To keep in the theme you should have just one single component in the middle which is gold coloured, maybe the CPU block or something ;)

Looking forward to how this pans out :)

13. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Nice design to say the least! Look forward to seeing how the motherboard will fit in the cube!

+sub!

14. peteski

peteski long live the pc

nice start mate im in :rock: :rock: :rock:

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

At first I wondered what the hell you were on about as the sketch looks nothing like deep thought. Then I realised you must be talking about the recent film they made not the original bbc production, so I google imaged it and I still really can't see it. Of the pictures I could find it looked like a cube on stilts that got wider the further up it went, so I'm still really puzzled as to the hhgttg reference.

However, I love the concept and shall definitely be following. Just be aware that sci-fi geeks are a funny old bunch and will point out any errors in referencing.

16. The_Crapman

P.s. Like how you missed off the 'Infinite' from 'infinite improbability drive', which is also nothing to do with deep thought. Just saying.... ;-p

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It's similar to the original TV series, the difference being that the TV series one is pyramidal instead of vertical.

Also, i'm pretty sure that image says 'Powered by Infinite Improbability Drive' ;) Doesn't matter if it's not strictly tied in, it's a theme.

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

I did say a "lil" like deep thought, OK maybe we need to take a "big" leap of imagination but the project needed a name and that's what sprang to mind, Then the rest took on a life of it's own...

As for the referencing I'm sure I will keep the sci-fi guys happy, as everyone knows you're never really happy unless you're moaning (but between you and me it's a wonder their bums don't fall off) :D

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. The_Crapman

Oh we do love a good old moan. You're not a real sci-fi fan unless you're 50% miserable *******. Lol and my bum and several other body parts regularly try and escape. I hope non of you have to experience a broken coccyx. While not the most painful experience ever, the time it takes to heal is just plain ridiculous! And apparently I'm also going blind. Bugger.

Don't get me wrong I do love the design. So many things have been done before it's hard the. Think of something original AND that will look sweet. Play on my friend, play on.

20. Asouter

Asouter --------

UN-HIP :)