bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 25th Jan 2012, 17:40   #1
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
[Tute] Remove foam pad from Sunbeam fan controllers

Or, anything that has this type of insulating foam over the circuit board.

So, i got a 3 channel RheoSmart for playing around with to see if it will 'fit' into my upcoming mod, but i couldnt have that horrid grey foam lurking about, and simply covering it with acrylic wasnt going to work because its amazingly resilient and would bend the acrylic trying to smoosh it down.

Items needed:
fan controller
screw driver
rubbing alcohol (i have 91% on hand, but the regular 70% should work)
cotton swabs
patience, it may take up to an hour

The patient:

Pour enough alcohol onto the foam to fairly soak it, use your finger to spread it around, making sure it reaches the edges

I had the older 4 channel one that needed the same treatment for my wifes pc, so i started on it while the 3 channel soaked

Make sure you dont let the alcohol sit too long, itll start to evaporate, after about 5 minutes you should be able to just peel the foam off

It should look like this

Use additional alcohol and the swabs to clean the remaining glue residue (this stuff is pretty nasty, sticky and dries fast if not soaked) and youll end up with this

Enjoy!!
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode