bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Jan 2012, 14:55   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Intel buys RealNetworks patents for streaming push

Putting its profits to work...

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...orks-patents/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2012, 17:12   #2
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Does anyone still use RealPlayer anymore? I only used it to stream Radio 1 back in the day.... it's not been on any of my machines for a few years.
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2012, 17:18   #3
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wonder if this purchase is linked to Intel's push into mobile computing somehow..... There's got to be something in those patents that they hold... surely.
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2012, 18:21   #4
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Oh god, just let it die, please let it go.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2012, 19:22   #5
technogiant
Supermodder

technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.
My guess this is to enhance their "intel Insider" HD movie streaming systems.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...rtainment.html
technogiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2012, 19:28   #6
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD View Post
Does anyone still use RealPlayer anymore? I only used it to stream Radio 1 back in the day.... it's not been on any of my machines for a few years.
I've not used it in years. I use Winamp for music these days. Tend to use Zoom Player MAX for videos.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2012, 19:56   #7
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ahhh... memories of BUFFERING every 2 seconds. I can't remember the last time I saw Real probably at least a decade.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2012, 01:09   #8
TheKrumpet
Once more, into the breach!

TheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run Crysis
Somehow I doubt they're bringing back RealPlayer. They want it for the technologies to implement in their own products. Personally I think this is a game of 'wait and see'.

To quote Moriquendi - "Resistance is Relix" - stonedsurd
TheKrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2012, 11:28   #9
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
only users who use real player is china (they seem to Love the real player format for some reason {cartoons like bayblade, pokimon so on })
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2012, 20:54   #10
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
If memory doesn't fail me there was a big controversy about spyware in RealPlayer some years back. To the extent that most people stopped using it. I believe RealNetworks eventually removed the offending code, but RealPlayer never retained its status after that.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2012, 01:14   #11
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Real was only popular because it was the only game in town way back. Anyone who was paying attention ditched it as soon as something else came along. It became the AOL of streaming audio - only used by people who didn't know any better.

azrael's right, too; there was some spyware scandal a few years back. Honestly, I'm surprised RealNetworks is still around as a company.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2012, 09:16   #12
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtatic
azrael's right, too; there was some spyware scandal a few years back. Honestly, I'm surprised RealNetworks is still around as a company.
Now I remember why a rebuild was necessary to remove it completely, it was loaded with spyware and badware!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealPlayer
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )

Last edited by B1GBUD; 29th Jan 2012 at 16:50.
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2012, 11:34   #13
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
And bloat ware. RealPlayer jut had this behemoth of a front end that kept nagging you with messages and adverts. Of course, geeks used RealAlternative: all of the codec, none of the surrounding bloat ware.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2012, 18:25   #14
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtatic
Real was only popular because it was the only game in town way back. Anyone who was paying attention ditched it as soon as something else came along. It became the AOL of streaming audio - only used by people who didn't know any better.
And due to having been the first one they hold lots of valuable patents.
Essentially Intel is just lowering its royalty expenses in the future with a one off payment.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2012, 07:10   #15
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I use it still but for only one feature. That if ripping/downloading video files that seem otherwise unavailable. It's a nice feature for use with Youtube, although I am sure other software can do the same job but Real does it fine for me and I am just used to it.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote