bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 2nd Mar 2010, 20:53   #1
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Project Quintessence - 29Jun-She's Live- CPU Magazine!

Quintessence: (from Dictionary.com)

1. the pure and concentrated essence of a substance.
2. the most perfect embodiment of something.
3. (in ancient and medieval philosophy) the fifth essence or element, ether, supposed to be the constituent matter of the heavenly bodies, the others being air, fire, earth, and water.

I hope this build will end up being a good incorporation of antique styling, elegance, function, and performance.

Featured in the August issue of CPU Magazine

FINAL PICS ON PAGE 15

Most Current Renderings:

------------------

List of Updates:

The Build Begins - Cutting out panels and bending aluminum for base – 26May2010

Transferring Spacing for Cutouts on PCI Panel and Mounting Holes in MB tray - 31May10

Panel Work - 16Jun10

Putting Parts Together, PSU & HDDs Mounts - 22Jun10

Motherboard Mounted, PSU Wiring Insert, Decide to Remake MB Tray and PSU Panels -03July10

Redone MB tray, PSU tray, top panel, and center spacer -03Aug10

Base Pieces Assembled, Center Airflow Divider in Place, GPU Fans Mount in Place- 22Aug10

Starting Front and Top Scrollwork - 20Oct10

Front and Top Scrollwork Cut Out - 10Dec10

Front Panel Contour - 21Dec10

Front Panel Scrollwork Sanding Done - 02Jan11

Top Panel Scrollwork Sanding Done - 19Jan11

Edge Moulding - 23Jan11

Bottom Radiator Mount - 26Jan11

Top and Front Panels Cut and Mounted - 01Feb11

Top Panel Front Sanded Flush and Base Cut and Mounted - 03Feb11

Edges of Top Panel Routed & Various Adjustments - 05Feb11

Power and Reset Buttons, Radiator Drain, Res Plans - 12Feb11

Bottom Radiator Leaktested, Mount Remade, and Airflow Piece Done - 15Feb11

Reservoir Made/Mounted and USB Port Mounted - 22Feb11

Res Cleaned up and Polished - 24Feb11

Bot Fan Assembly, Rear Grille, New Parts - 22Mar11

Side Panels Scrollwork Cutout - 04Apr11

Side Panels Mounted - 10Apr11

Steam Bending, Fillport, Wiring Cover, Fan Controller - 23Apr11

The Painting Begins - 30Apr11

Putting in Parts, Lighting, Watercooling, etc. Part 1 - 11May11

Putting in Parts, Lighting, Watercooling, etc. Part 2 - 21May11

Forming Tubing, Flushing, Filling - 03Jun11

FINAL PICS ON PAGE 15

------------------

I haven't started building anything as of yet, but have been again spending time in Sketchup modeling what should become my next build. I'm in no hurry with this build, and have been gathering better tools and materials over the last few months. On this build, I plan on using an aluminum frame with a wooden shell. This should allow easier access to the case internals as I plan on having the side and top wooden panels merely stick on via magnets, rather than have the frame made out of wood. I haven't decided on what wood to use yet, but now that I know I have a local source for hardwoods and hardwood plywoods, I plan on using something like Cherry or maybe Walnut that isn't very grainy. My objective here is to design a case that is as small as possible yet incorporates 6x120mm rad cooling. I will be using a Micro ATX MB. Although the renders show black behind the front panel, I will probably put an opaque sheet of acrylic behind it with lighting so that the front fretwork will be lit up. Underneath the top piece will be mesh. I also want the case to be laid out in a way however that allows for access to the components without unnecessary complication.

The case dimensions are: 15” (381mm) deep x 11 1/4” (286mm) wide x 15 5/16” (388mm) high.

For the first time, I've started working with Kerkythea on rendering to give good clear pics of what I have designed in Sketchup. I would like to get feedback/criticism/ideas on this design. Let me know what you do/don't like about it and why. Any constructive help on the renderings themselves is also welcomed as these are my first attempts. Thanks.

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited by voigts; 29th Jun 2011 at 15:54.
voigts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 21:58   #2
Bob Squad
Minimodder

Bob Squad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That scrollwork looks to be a challenge. Can't wait to see the results!
Bob Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 22:28   #3
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Sweeeeet!
Will you be adding any bas relief to the scrollwork?
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 22:40   #4
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Sweeeeet!
Will you be adding any bas relief to the scrollwork?
Just to make sure exactly what you are referring to, can you elaborate a bit or point me in the direction you are thinking? I am planning on using plywood for the top and sides to keep weight down, so I probably will not be looking at an kind of relief to the surface.

Once issue I am trying to figure out is what I am going to go with for the sides and top as I modeled 1/4" thick, but I'm really not sure if 1/4" plywood will hold the detail of scrollwork I am after.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 22:43   #5
Alexandros
Modder

Alexandros has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow, this looks amazing, just as your Zenith radio build!
Alexandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 23:01   #6
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
plywood=That would be a 'no' then.

I didn't catch the slight curve on the face earlier. The whole faceplate is a fantastic arrangement.
Old 4th Mar 2010, 08:00   #7
voigts
Hypermodder

Quote:
I didn't catch the slight curve on the face earlier. The whole faceplate is a fantastic arrangement.
thanks. I've spent a lot of time messing with and modeling to get that front face down. The front piece is going to be a time consuming deal. I really like the combination of the fretwork with the curved face, but I honestly will have to figure out how to get the front curved the way I want it. I'll cut the fretwork from the flat backside.
Old 4th Mar 2010, 09:49   #8
ringo
Supermodder

ringo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Amazing Sketch, I'm interssted on the first pictures of the fabrication, and how you will make the different parts. Especially the fine out cuts in the wood.
ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2010, 18:05   #9
voigts
Hypermodder

It probably will be a while before I start cutting on stuff. I've got a couple of other projects I've got to finish before I jump head first into this one.

Where in lower bavaria do you live? I got to take a tour of Castles Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau in April 2008. The countryside is absolutely beautiful.
Old 16th Mar 2010, 16:03   #10
voigts
Hypermodder

Time for an update. Although I have not made a single cut or bend for this project yet, I have been steadily ordering and getting tools and materials. I haven't bought all of this at once, but have been getting things a little at a time over the past 5 months or so. Its something when you can spend hundreds of dollars before even starting a project. I am trying to avoid the situation where you start on something and then keep having delays because you don't have what you need during the project. I also am getting some things that I have needed for some time (finally!) and am stocking up on some things that should last me through several builds.

As shown in this picture, I have already bought: five 12 x 12 x 1/4 sheets of cast acrylic -$45; two 10 carbide hollow ground saw blades for aluminum and acrylic- $45; a new Craftsman router with switchable bases- $120; a new Dremel 300 with a bunch of sanding drums and bits- $45 + $30ish; a punch set $5; carbide router bit set- $35; clamp on bench vise $5; 18 metal bending brake that will do up to 16 gauge- $30; two metal sawhorses- $20 (not in pic); sandpaper; drill screw bits; files; and other various bits and pieces.

I also have bought: a Lian-Li micro ATX MB tray to use as a template- $35; an old micro ATX MB just to use for test fitting- $10; 75' of 1/8 & 50' of 1/4 thick black sleeving- $20; 2' of 1/8, 4 each of 1/4 and 3/8, and 2' of 1/2 3:1 adhesive lined black heatshrink- $23; used MCR320 rad- $30; used MCR320 stackable rad- $30; eight Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm fans- $120; two Bitspower black 45 rotary elbows- $20; Western Digital Black 750gb HD- $55 ARs; 2x2gb OCZ DDR3 12800- $35 ARs; various connectors such as black 3 pin male and female plugs, PCI-E plugs, etc.

I also picked up this little $8 jewel called a Helping Hands for soldering. I am so sick of trying to hold wires with pliers and stuff when trying to solder.

I also paid $50 for the 48 light tent that I used to take these pictures in.

These haven't come in yet, but I also just ordered a 12 24 pin ATX extension cable so that I don't have to re-sleeve the actual PSU ATX cable- $10; an 8 pin MB power cable extension cable- $5; an original Molex brand ATX/PCI-E pin remover- $25; one each black female ATX and 8 pin power plugs- $2; and since I can't decide yet if I am going to stick with water or try air, a slightly used Scythe Setsugen for only $27.50 (I figure I can always sell it and get my money back if I do decide to go back with water).

So not including the router (since it a larger ticket tool that also will be used for other things), I have spent $765 + I'm not sure how much on sandpaper, wipe on polyurethane, connectors, etc. I also invested in a new-to-me really nice table saw that I practically stole from Craigslist in Dec. for only $150, and a new-to-me contractor grade cast iron scroll saw from a friend at work for only $100 also in Dec.

I hadn't realize how much I've spent over the last five months or so. Ouch! The sheet metal and hardwood will be cheap in comparison. If I go with water, I'll still have barbs to buy, some tubing, and one more rad, or if I go with air, I'll need a good CPU heatsink. Then finally down the road a new MB and CPU will be in order. Since it will take some time to build another case, I'm not going to buy the CPU and MB until later in the year. There is no point in buying them now and having them just sit while something newer comes out in 6 months.

The one consolation in all of this that I tell my wife (and she agrees) is that my modding hobby is still a lot cheaper than restoring old cars, bass boats, fishing, hunting, jet skis, Harleys, etc. Plus now I've got some much nicer tools to make her a few things that she's been wanting.

Thanks for taking a look.
Old 16th Mar 2010, 16:58   #11
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Yes, It's MUCH cheaper! -'specially if your hobby only gets 9 miles to the gallon.
Old 16th Mar 2010, 17:38   #12
slipperyskip
RIP Kid Mod

slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Looks like big fun!
Old 16th Mar 2010, 18:25   #13
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Dang I want a bending brake like that! The cheapest I could find over here costs 120 € ($170 ?) and that's just wayyy too much for my needs. Lovely looking piles of tools and hardware there.
Old 16th Mar 2010, 18:53   #14
HandMadeAndroid
That's handy.

HandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looking forward to seeing this one
i7 3770k, Asus P8Z77-I , 16gb Patriot 1866 ddr3,EVGA 670FTW, Bitfenix Prodigy,crucial M4 128ssd,western digital black 2tb storage, wacom intuos/ i7 sandy bridge kobalt 17" laptop,120ssd, 8gb crucial ram, 500gb7200 WD storage drive, nvidia 555m 3gb/64gb iPad 2
HandMadeAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2010, 21:16   #15
voigts
Hypermodder

Quote:
Yes, It's MUCH cheaper! -'specially if your hobby only gets 9 miles to the gallon.
9 miles to the gallon? What is your hobby? A Sherman tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip View Post
Looks like big fun!
I think it will be. This one is going to take me a while to get to and finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa View Post
Dang I want a bending brake like that! The cheapest I could find over here costs 120 ($170 ?) and that's just wayyy too much for my needs. Lovely looking piles of tools and hardware there.
Its not something meant for heavy duty commercial use, but for what I will use it for, I think this brake will work just fine. 120 is crazy. I'd be making my own before I pay that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid View Post
looking forward to seeing this one
I'm still tinkering with the look of the front and possibly the side moldings as I'm not quite happy with them. Its going to be a while however before i really get to jump wholesale into this as I have to go out of town for the last 2 weeks of April, and have still a project at home waiting for it to warm up a bit for me to finish first.
Old 17th Mar 2010, 08:37   #16
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I love planned builds. And your woodwork is always stunning. Sub'd for sure
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 03:36   #17
voigts
Hypermodder

I have been endlessly messing around with the look for the front and side moldings. Ever have something just nag at you? Well, the front and side moldings have been nagging at me. I just keep looking at the case and know it needs something. What do you folks think about this alteration?

Old 23rd Mar 2010, 03:48   #18
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Spotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Try adding a simple flat board as a base, possibly loosely following the curves of the front?

Last edited by Spotswood; 23rd Mar 2010 at 03:55. Reason: reworded
Spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 17:28   #19
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

I liked the original curved moldings. I think what was throwing them off was the horns that formed on the top front of the case. If you had rounded those off, it would have worked better. I also liked the original round inset. It added some contrast, and was what pointed out to me that the face was curved. I do however like the pattern you added to the front circle. A power switch would look sweet right in the middle.
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 19:20   #20
voigts
Hypermodder

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotswood View Post
Try adding a simple flat board as a base, possibly loosely following the curves of the front?
I was just looking for something different from the straight radio look which always has that base board, therefore so far I've stayed away from that idea, but I'll model it and see what my design consultants think (wife, daughter, and her friend ).

Quote:
I liked the original curved moldings. I think what was throwing them off was the horns that formed on the top front of the case. If you had rounded those off, it would have worked better. I also liked the original round inset. It added some contrast, and was what pointed out to me that the face was curved. I do however like the pattern you added to the front circle. A power switch would look sweet right in the middle.
I may take another look at the curved moldings. The "horns" really were more a result of having trouble modeling that corner differently in Sketchup due to the multi-faced curves. In reality it could be rounded a bit more, but not much more without distorting the shape of the top.

I am sold however on the change in the front round inset. I like the flush area instead with the molding on the surface. I looked through hundreds of images and beat my brain for a week trying to figure out something that to me would look right there. I finally drew that center molding shape Monday morning from an idea of a victorian pattern that I came across. My design consultants tell me that they like it better too (reference above post ).

I started messing around last night with Indigo renderer and so far really like the results I'm getting better than Kerkythea. I'm a newb at rendering so I'm just beginning to figure it out.

View Mode