bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 11th Feb 2012, 06:05   #101
xSoMBrAx
Supermodder

xSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the DremelxSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very high standard work going on here!
Very nice tool you have and imho totally worth it for someone like you!

Follow me on Facebook!
xSoMBrAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2012, 11:02   #102
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Now we have to watch you all over again!

I'd be interested in the tweaked one when it's done, depending on the price.
KidMod-Southpaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2012, 13:30   #103
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig - toyoracer View Post
Well it was good practise

Now on to the real build
Yeah, now just got to pick what's up next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoMBrAx View Post
Very high standard work going on here!
Very nice tool you have and imho totally worth it for someone like you!
Thanks xSoMBrAx

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
Now we have to watch you all over again!

I'd be interested in the tweaked one when it's done, depending on the price.
Cheers KidMod, well it won't be until I've completed this rig but I'll try to keep the price nice.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2012, 13:49   #104
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Beautiful!
I can't wait until you sand the edges, so I can lick without cutting my tongue!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2012, 13:58   #105
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
Beautiful!
I can't wait until you sand the edges, so I can lick without cutting my tongue!
Cheers Angel I know it's good when you say things like that. The Angel OD seal of approval "can I lick it".

Since I got to a decent checkpoint I'm going to slack off today & have a play on Skyrim with the high res textures.
Old 11th Feb 2012, 14:03   #106
Hannes
Design | Art | Performance

Hannes has yet to learn the way of the DremelHannes has yet to learn the way of the DremelHannes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It looks awesome Waynio! The design is of an other world! I'd give big bucks for your creativity!
Hannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2012, 14:49   #107
ColdzeroTeam
Multimodder

ColdzeroTeam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
just stumbled upon this mod, as i've been away for a while, and wow...

it's looking great. just seen those thick sheets of alu got me hooked to this project
Old 11th Feb 2012, 21:00   #108
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
OMG, how did I miss this.. Another Waynio mod in the making, YEEEEEEESSS!.
I never would have thought about cutting 10mm alu on a saw like that, but I guess its all a matter of not pushing it and just taking the time it needs.

I just hope you get it stable enough, the basearea to height ratio looks kind of frightening. My worst fear is not the weight but more the leverage that the wider top will create on the small base, possible making it much more tip over sensitive to accidental bumps at the top. If the heavier bottom doesn't make it feel stable enough you could always make a simple baseplate of a thin aluplate just to increase the footprint. Would hate to see the master piece, that this will become, tip over. It will be a very unice and awsome look non the less.

Keep it up

Project: ProtoHype (paused)
Project: GET A LIFE (Complete)
Project: Widescreen Projector(Complete)
Guide: How to brush Aluminum
The_Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2012, 00:22   #109
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
We tend to learn a lot of things in accidents like these bro, believe me we all learned that way!! Mod on bro, top level of work once again!!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2012, 00:22   #110
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
Oups double post :P Have some rep btw You deserve it my friend!

Last edited by AnG3L; 12th Feb 2012 at 00:31.
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2012, 11:59   #111
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
We tend to learn a lot of things in accidents like these bro, believe me we all learned that way!! Mod on bro, top level of work once again!!
I missed the start of this, but true what Alex says, some times these little accidents acn lead to a change of plan which actually turns out t be a good thing. Nice start Wayne.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2012, 17:14   #112
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
It looks awesome Waynio! The design is of an other world! I'd give big bucks for your creativity!
Thank you Hannes, the pattern wrapping around the rig spawned from the side wavy lines pattern I made for the sides of the htpc & then the bottom front one & just kept developing it further, it'll be a shame the rear won't really be seen as I love the look of it from the back on an angle how the cut outs wrap around everything, guess I'll have to put a big mirror behind it.

Should be good the spare rig & a good option to anyone who wants a mini-itx htpc with room for full size psu & optical & 5 hdd & built like a tank. I won't go & try for a crazy price neither but likely enough for my next project material, I don't have a line of projects to do, I just start somehing from fresh each time after a project, design, build, sit back over & over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdzeroTeam View Post
just stumbled upon this mod, as i've been away for a while, and wow...

it's looking great. just seen those thick sheets of alu got me hooked to this project
Thanks Coldzero, it "should" keep getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gnu View Post
OMG, how did I miss this.. Another Waynio mod in the making, YEEEEEEESSS!.
I never would have thought about cutting 10mm alu on a saw like that, but I guess its all a matter of not pushing it and just taking the time it needs.

I just hope you get it stable enough, the basearea to height ratio looks kind of frightening. My worst fear is not the weight but more the leverage that the wider top will create on the small base, possible making it much more tip over sensitive to accidental bumps at the top. If the heavier bottom doesn't make it feel stable enough you could always make a simple baseplate of a thin aluplate just to increase the footprint. Would hate to see the master piece, that this will become, tip over. It will be a very unice and awsome look non the less.

Keep it up
I'd have never thought about scroll saws neither if I didn't see voigts do what he did on Quintessence, always like nice high detail cut work & was some real nice cut work on a thick material which tempted me to buy a cheap scroll saw to find out what I could do with one & I was hooked on the possibilities straight away so figured it was worth getting a good one when I had enough money for one.

I know it looks a little crazy the size of the top to the base, LooseNeutral suggested calling it Heavy Top or The Waynio Hammer I quite liked the sound of The Waynio Hammer I still think the bulk of the gaming rig weight will be in the middle, the over hanging edges should have little weight there but like you say if it does turn out to be a little tipsy it will be an easy fix, I still haven't designed the feet for it yet though so I could come up with a good solution then.

I think I'll do all parts of this project by checkpoint goals, good way to keep things flowing & to keep the quality up, but for some time ahead I think it's all scroll saw work, many many panels to do.

Cheers GNU

Quote:
Cheers Alex, I see it like that too mate & I'm new to printing my designs instead of manually marking materials, was a proper goof up though printing the wrong design but I now know not to keep a stack of similar designs in the project folder, the htpc panels I made are to a good standard so they can definitely be used for another rig with a tiny tweak of the design, you just have to go at the 10mm alu without expectations of getting it done quickly so just don't try forcing it to go quickly & the cuts will be nice, just need to have steady hands, a calm mind & good eye focus & plenty of patience.

I used to like trying to blitz through my projects & I burnt out regular which wrecks your quality when your all out of patience trying to rush things, call me mr turtle going slow & steady from now.

Quote:
Oups double post :P Have some rep btw You deserve it my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
I missed the start of this, but true what Alex says, some times these little accidents acn lead to a change of plan which actually turns out t be a good thing. Nice start Wayne.
Good to see you with us again Jeff was wondering where you got to, hope your well mate.

To be honest in that way I kinda miss going fully freestyle on projects because you can just think on your feet making it up as you go along & little mistakes can be turned into something better than intended straying away from the original plan quite a lot but at the same time that way can be highly frustrating if it's a complex project with the amount of times I just stood in the garage thinking for ages instead of just doing the project.

It's possible I'll return to that way when my knowledge has grown much more but I really like the straight forwardness of having a solid plan to follow after doing all the thinking before hand, let's you progress nice & fast with not having to use your marbles too much other than operating the tools, almost like a self made flat pack, I persisted to learn a bit more on sketchup so I can design things fairly quickly now, it's just the coming up with good ideas & thinking if they will work well or not, that's what takes up a lot of the time on a new design.

Slacking weekend mostly, but it's been good to build up my enthusiasm for the next parts, needed it after the 10mm marathon.

Kind of off topic.
What was I thinking that I could have a casual little run around in Skyrim, once I got back into enjoying it I ended up glued to it for 14 hours, you have to rip yourself away from it once you get into it, not easy.

Love the way they blended in community mods to steam, much cleaner way to install mods.

Back on topic.
That tip Angel OD gave out a while ago about making a tapping guide was golden info & stayed sat in my mind for future refference & will be using that a lot for precision tapping & drilling in chunky material so have some drilling jigs to make & I'll make those today, I'll use some of the cutoffs from the 10mm alu for it.

Should get lots done over the coming week.
Old 13th Feb 2012, 03:25   #113
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I know what you mean about Skyrim. It is just so easy to spend hours at it and not notice the time go by. Too bad about the panels. It stinks to do all of that work just to realize that you goofed. Been there, done that, will certainly do it again. I did find some scrollsaw blades made specifically for metal online, and am about to order a few dozen. They are made by Olson.
Old 13th Feb 2012, 09:04   #114
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigts View Post
I know what you mean about Skyrim. It is just so easy to spend hours at it and not notice the time go by. Too bad about the panels. It stinks to do all of that work just to realize that you goofed. Been there, done that, will certainly do it again. I did find some scrollsaw blades made specifically for metal online, and am about to order a few dozen. They are made by Olson.
I enjoy gaming especially when good ones are available but it shows when they make a game too good it can really consume your life if you let it, you have to put effort in to pull away from it.

Yeah it stinks a bit but with it taking a lot of effort to do it I doubt I'd make the same mistake again, sure I'll goof up on other bits though, the harder the lesson the more you learn & the golden rule of always measure still applies even when printing. Good to hear you found a place to buy metal blades.

Just made a new printable model of the htpc sides based on the 1 model I'm working with now & printed 100% to scale again & did it oversized again so went into printer properties this time also & set it there to print 100% to scale so was set like that in adobe reader & printer properties & it did the print absolutely perfect to correct size so won't be having that problem again.

The htpc sides do virtually fill an a-4 sheet though, maybe that's why it was happening & I probably did use the right model but was having technical difficulties with the printing.

What puzzles me though is the stand sides are spot on & I didn't go into printer properties to do the 100% scale thing & was a 4 page layout, just did it on adobe reader print options, strange.
Old 13th Feb 2012, 16:30   #115
Paslis
Supermodder

Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Paslis - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Everyone makes mistakes and the good thing about it is that you learn from it. So keep on going mate i will be watching for sure.
Paslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 20:45   #116
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslis View Post
Everyone makes mistakes and the good thing about it is that you learn from it. So keep on going mate i will be watching for sure.
Yeah not so bad when you learn from them cheers Paslis.

I was going to start doing some panels today but I decided to make individual files for each panel so they are all ready for printing or adding precise drill markers etc nice & quickly ready for printing, pretty dull part of modding but is what will make everything work so well in the end, it's a tight design so has to be spot on within 0.5mm, in fact I probably won't even get away with 0.5mm in many instances.

I'm about half way through getting the design ready for printing so it'll be a late night for me because I won't stop until they are done.
Old 14th Feb 2012, 03:45   #117
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking good so far sorry I missed the first part but SUBBED none the less I loved your last build looking forward to this one too.

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2012, 08:12   #118
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechh69 View Post
Looking good so far sorry I missed the first part but SUBBED none the less I loved your last build looking forward to this one too.
Thanks a lot Mech.

Got everything ready for printing now, every single piece except for any bars is prepped for printing, only some drill markers need placing on some models where they need to be 100% precise, late night yeah sure morning everyone.

Time for a quick nap & then try to get some real progress done, things might speed along now since I've taken virtually all the guess work out of it all, from here it's going to rely mostly on my sticking prints together properly, cutting, drilling & bending. I thought I did a good bit of planning on stealthlow, but nowhere near this level of planning & hopefully that should really speed things up I know I know all words right now but I really do think this won't take a long time, hopefully I'm not being delusional about that.
Old 14th Feb 2012, 13:20   #119
bugeye
Sleep Deprived

bugeye has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbugeye has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbugeye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm sure all the planning is going to pay off I spend half my build time staring at things trying to figure out how to build the next bit .... you've got all that sorted now

Looking forward to some rapid progress
bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2012, 15:32   #120
riekmaharg2
has finished Blue Horizon

riekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thats gotta take some serious patients

Silent Fiberglass PC

Completed * Blue Horizon * - 2012
riekmaharg2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual pc, heavy bottom, modular, top heavy

View Mode