bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Feb 2012, 08:00   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
OCZ Octane 512GB Review

OCZ's latest SSD is powered by the new Everest drive controller from Indilinx.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...512gb-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2012, 09:18   #2
BrightCandle
Multimodder

BrightCandle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What a lemon of a firmware update. The big drop in performance suggests this might be a workaround for a hardware problem.
BrightCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2012, 09:49   #3
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Bof. Mediocre performance and not hugely competitive prices. I'll pass.
Old 1st Feb 2012, 09:51   #4
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I stopped reading as soon as I saw the price. Of course I should have stopped reading as soon as I saw the OCZ badge.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2012, 12:05   #5
Jasio
Made in Canada

Jasio has yet to learn the way of the DremelJasio has yet to learn the way of the DremelJasio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is a very expensive SSD- overpriced considering the much higher quality Crucial M4 512GB has been popping up once in awhile on sale at NCIX and NewEgg for $550- a significantly cheaper price for a faster drive.

My personal opinion of OCZ may be rather colored, but I haven't experienced a single OCZ product that did not produce issues down the road (PSU's, SSD's, etc).
[[Asus Rampage III Formula RoG | Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.2 Ghz | Corsair H70 | 12GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill | 2 x MSI 560Ti 1GB Twin Frozer II SLi | Corsair AX750 PSU | 2 x Crucial C300 128GB SSD + 3 x Samsung F1 1TB | Silverstone Fortress FT02B]]
Jasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2012, 12:59   #6
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
When are you going to review some Mushkin SSD's?
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2012, 14:14   #7
steve30x
Multimodder

steve30x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I remember when an SSD that size would be over 2,000. Assoon as a 512GB SSD is 512 I will buy one.
RAM : 4GIG Kingston ValueRam 1333MHZ @ 1224mhz
Power Supplie :Corsair HX1000
steve30x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2012, 16:58   #8
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming Saiyan
OCZ Petrol is really close at $600 for a 512GB.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 02:28   #9
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OCZ does not exactly have a prefect quality products (as mentioned above) and charging this much for SSD is an insult.
Win7 Pro 64Bit | I7 860 @4.0Ghz XSPC RS240 | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 8GB G.Skill 1600 7 8 7 24| Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 | Asus GTX 570 | Asus Xonar DS 7.1 | Logitech Z-2300 | Corsair CMPSU 850 ATX | Xigmatek Utgard | Dell U2410
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 06:24   #10
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
Another SSD from OCZ, another Firmware issue...
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 09:24   #11
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Great review Harry - Nice to see the before and after covered. Think I'll be skipping the current gen of SSD's and sticking with my Raid 0 M225's for a while yet....
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 03:43   #12
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Raid and SSD seems pointless to me, as you lose Trim support under raid so the drive could end up slower then 1 ssd (1 SSD should enough as its faster then an hdd by 5x-200x depending on what your doing)

is it normal for the C300 SSD to have high Write access times (1000ms+) as i have an M4 and it never really goes above 20ms
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 03:44   #13
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leexgx View Post
Raid and SSD seems pointless to me, as you lose Trim support under raid so the drive could end up slower then 1 ssd (1 SSD should enough as its faster then an hdd by 5x-200x depending on what your doing)

is it normal for the C300 SSD to have high Write access times (1000ms+) as i have an M4 and it never really goes above 20ms
TRIM support will change soon with the next set of drivers from Intel

Baz - when you gonna get to the OCZ Petrols?
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 19:08   #14
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
trim support for none raid disks when BIOS is set to raid or ahci (current updated drivers have trim support )

or support for trim for raid disks
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2012, 19:11   #15
Kris
Lord Lolwut

Kris has yet to learn the way of the DremelKris has yet to learn the way of the DremelKris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
gsus, the price tag on bigger ssd-s is mindboggling. how can they expect to even sell them when the average person buys a whole computer for the price of an ssd like this? (with money left even sometimes).

Totally crazy.

Add to the fact that the performance is not on top of everything, seems like a pointless drive TBH.