1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Genius announces DeathTaker gaming mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 1 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Why can't companies stop with this crappy gaming bandwagon?

Why can't we have a company who names their mice something like G for gaming, W for wireless and C for cabled, then just iterate across designs.

So GC10 would be a 10th iteration cabled gamer's special. Better that than call it the superdeathtakingthrustmasterfalcon XXRRXXXX.

3. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Because a lot of the market is the younger generation and cool names get more interest from them.

But logitech have the "G" range for example.

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's not the Genius name that puts me off, but the "DeathTaker" name that has an "in-built over-clocking SCGii engine".

5. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

I think the name might be a p*ss take...

Razer: Death Adder

Genius: Death Taker

One adds, the other takes :p

or i could have had too much coffee at work...

6. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Not enough buttons, lights, go faster stripes, fans or X's for me I'm afraid.

7. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Nor does it even have hydraulics OR speakers built it, what a scam :p

8. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Do I get one for free?

or can i claim name theft?

10. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Who the fk would want that Fugly pos shitting on there desk?

And I think they went a little oerboard with the "facy name for usless feature that is to be expected on a mouse like this" idea.....

"'in-built over-clocking SCGii engine,'" -----> They actually paid someone to come up with this.....I can sum it up a little easier......5700dpi.

The Death Taker sure is taking the Piss on this one.

55 Macros on a mouse..........overkill much?

And since when does a MMO mouse....Also make for a good RTS mouse? Explain your reasoning for that one please Genius.

Naming conventions.....meh.....who cares....as long as you know what your getting. But by throwing out all this BS marketing crap.Over clock your mouse..........you gotta be kidding me.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Or for that matter what makes a mouse good for any specific genre? I've played several MMOs with a combined play time of hundreds of hours (probably over 1,000 but I'll be modest) and never use macros. Can't stand "MMO" mice and keyboards with all sorts of gimmicky macro functions.

The part which caught my attention was the "8 million clicks" rating. You don't normally see things like this for mice. Mechanical keyboards advertise some 50 million presses for Cherry MX switches, but nothing for mice! And that got me wondering just what 8 million means in the real world. In HoN/Dota 2 I average about 120 APM, let's be generous and say only 50% of that is mouse clicks and that furthermore that's split evenly between the left and right buttons. That comes out to be 30 clicks per minute on each switch. Multiply by 60 to get 1800 clicks per hour. 50 hours of play time comes out to be 90,000 clicks so far. That's one 89th of the mouse's lifespan, or you could say that I would need to play 4,450 hours of Dota 2 to reach 8 million clicks. Assuming I kept playing at 30 hours a week (not unreasonable if I'm only playing one game to keep the maths simple) it would take me 2.85 years to reach 8 million clicks.

Just some food for thought. These are very rough numbers but it helps give a little perspective on how mouse clicks can add up.

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

After 4 years the left button micro switch on my logitech mx 1000 gave up, but I didn't use it for 30 hours a week. I've never really bought into "gaming" anything though

13. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I use a naga and that works for everything i need tbh

Looks at name, looks at my name

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I think you should get one for free :D

15. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

A wired mouse? Geez I haven't used one of those in ages. I use a basic two button w/ scroll wheel laser wireless mouse. The keyboard seems to work fine for all additional commands, though I do not play any MMOs. My keyboard on the other hand is an ancient NMB purchased in 1996. I have to use an adapter to plug it in since it has the old style big round plug. I've tried more modern keyboards, but they all feel too flimsy. It looks grungy, but every single key works just as well as it did when I first purchased it.

16. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Logitech G5 - the old version with only a single thumb button. Still going strong for the 6th or 7th year in a row. The only thing I have had to replace was the glide pads.

17. leslie

leslie Just me!

Never happen.
    Before you get them all programmed and memorized, the wire will fail.

Tags: Add Tags